Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I need a cheap car!

I need a cheap car!

Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default I need a cheap car!

I have just arrived in Brisbane and need to get a car.
Don,t have much cash to spare, any ideas??
Not fussy about what kind.
Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice
Default Re: I need a cheap car!

You won't find a cheap car in Oz! Not compared to the U.K anyway.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope no cheap cars in aus. That was something that shocked me when I first came out here. I was used to picking up cheap cars for 500 pounds out the paper in the UK. I thought it would be the same here.

In perth the cheapest i could find that was half decent was $6500. the only ones cheaper were either falling apart or so old they looked like they could have been in the flintstones
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Depends what you mean by cheap i have a 1982 Toyota Corolla with 72000km on the clock in great condition... I paid $1200!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Depends what you mean by cheap i have a 1982 Toyota Corolla with 72000km on the clock in great condition... I paid $1200!
I dont think you can buy a 27 year old car in the UK !. When i Left the UK i sold a 1999 high spec Astra low miles mint condition for £1000 thought i would buy something similar here for the same sort of money - how wrong i was !
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:16 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pata
Thanks
try some on the moorooka mile west side in brissie

or search carsales.com
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Try www.carsales.com.au

Cheap decent motors are hard to come by. An old Volvo or Toyota probably the best bet.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound
No offence, but that would've been 50 quid in the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter just bought a 1985 Holden Barina in brilliant condition, engine great, hardly any damage to the bodywork, 140k on the clock for 3,000. I thought that was pretty damn good. What's that? About 1,500 pounds ish?

Got it through Carsales.com and they turned out to be at the other end of our road
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:35 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

We have just bought a Hyundai Excel 97' in good condition, 170k, well looked after with quite a few gadgets/alarm for $3200. We wanted to pay about $2500 but had to jump up to the $3000 bracket to find anything worth looking at.

There is quite a few cars out there but quite a lot of 'tat' too!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spellbound
We have just bought a Hyundai Excel 97' in good condition, 170k, well looked after with quite a few gadgets/alarm for $3200. We wanted to pay about $2500 but had to jump up to the $3000 bracket to find anything worth looking at.

There is quite a few cars out there but quite a lot of 'tat' too!
Where did you find it??
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:17 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spartacus
No offence, but that would've been 50 quid in the UK.
Yeah but at £50 you probably would have to push it home!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My 30 year old 2nd car Datsun got broken into this week, and someone destroyed the Ignition system.... combine that with no radio and no heater etc etc plus the radiator was on the blink... and it's not worth fixing.

Well by word of mouth, I've found a 79 Datsun 180B in very good condition... only 161,000 ks as well... 700 bucks including roadworthy. It would have cost more to fix my original 120Y. Plus I know from experience it will probably last at least 7 years, like the car its replacing.

We'll be over to electric cars by then. Which will be my next new car purchase.

To the OP, go on Ebay, and make sure you buy one with a Roadworthy certificate.... Should be able to get one for circa 1500 bucks.

BTW I have bought 2 brand new cars in Aus in the past
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My 30 year old 2nd car Datsun got broken into this week, and someone destroyed the Ignition system.... combine that with no radio and no heater etc etc plus the radiator was on the blink... and it's not worth fixing.

Well by word of mouth, I've found a 79 Datsun 180B in very good condition... only 161,000 ks as well... 700 bucks including roadworthy. It would have cost more to fix my original 120Y. Plus I know from experience it will probably last at least 7 years, like the car its replacing.

We'll be over to electric cars by then. Which will be my next new car purchase.

To the OP, go on Ebay, and make sure you buy one with a Roadworthy certificate.... Should be able to get one for circa 1500 bucks.

BTW I have bought 2 brand new cars in Aus in the past
Going from a 120Y to a 180B is an upgrade in my book. Amazing the difference the climate makes to car longevity. I had a 120Y twenty years ago, and I'd imagine all that left of it now is dust.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:54 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thanks
dont know where you are but do they have any backpacker agents or hostels locally? if so they may have a wall of vehicles to trade/sell on the cheap. thats what they do in perth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.