Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I need to buy a car but dont have much deposit-can someone advise me?

I need to buy a car but dont have much deposit-can someone advise me?

Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

StuffedShirt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need to buy a car but dont have much deposit-can someone advise me?

Hi- Im hoping that someone somewhere might be or has been in the same situation as myself.

Im here newly in Australia after much wailing and knashing of teeth on a 457 temporary long stay visa. My visa is only for a year and expires on 30th November 2008. My employer appears willing to extend the visa on from this date and has indicated that they are also willing to sponsor me for permanent residence as well (Im a nurse).

The problem I have is that I need to have a car for work for both me and my husband. Its been so expensive to get to this point that we dont have an awful lot of deposit to place on any vehicle- no more than a few thousand- but at least we have it- and we do need to buy two.

Weve been to see a few dealers and some seem willing to "Do a deal" at whatever cost to us which we dont like the sound of!!!!. A number have also suggested that because our visa expires in november that this may be a big problem and will only consider financing over 10 months. This sounds really obvious now but it wasnt something we had forseen. Weve got three kids under 6 and our minds have been on getting the right schools etc and ensuring weve got a roof over our heads.

Not sure if anyone can recommend anything as the way to go. Id really appreciate any (helpful ideally) comments as Im totally lost and Hertz are currently charging me $800 for a 10 day one car rental with insurance.....and yes it hurts

Rachael
Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need to buy a car but dont have much deposit-can someone advise me?

We bought a 1993 Falcon when we first arrived for a couple thousand $$. It ran really well and got us where we needed to go. Just before we moved interstate we sold it to another new arrival family for more than we paid.

There is no reason to buy a brand new car if an older one will do you. If you have limited funds then put down some money and finance the rest over the 10 months. It will help you build a credit rating here in Australia and you can get a decent vehicle for not a lot of money.