Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Need An Agent For Nz

I Need An Agent For Nz

Old Jul 31st 2003, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

cayne tollett is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I Need An Agent For Nz

Help me. With everything that has happened recently with the general skills catergory i am feeling at a loss as what to do. Up until now i have been ploughing through all the paperwork myself & had just got to the position of submitting everything to the self assessment board. My medicals are just about run out & i don't know whether to pay the small charge to extend them or pay in full again at a later date. Would an agent be able to help me out as i don't know where to turn. I am an electrician with a full 17 years experience and full qualifications. Do i go out with my family on a 12month work visa & hope to apply out there when i hopefully get a job?
:scared:
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I Need An Agent For Nz

Originally posted by cayne tollett
Hi cayne,

May aswell extend your medicals for now. You should find work easy enough, they seem to be crying out for all trades. You may be able to secure a job offer from here first, or at least make some contacts for interviews etc.. Others here have written to anyone & everyone, not just to vacancies, some having a good response. Can't see that you need an agent, if you've come this far & figured it all out then there's no real need for one.

For a work visa you'd need a job offer anyway, you could all go as visitors then apply from there but with the policy changing again soon it might be a bit risky, having said that I'd imagine you'll still qualify. I'd be inclined to just go for it, but try job searching from here first..

Good luck,
Gra..
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

THANKS GRAHAM FOR THE REPLY BUT HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT APPLYING FOR JOBS FROM ENGLAND. I CAN'T GET MY HEAD AROUND A COMPANY IN NZ BEING PREPARED TO TAKE SOMEONE ON WITHOUT SEEING THEM AND NOT KNOWING HOW LONG BEFORE THEY CAN START.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Help me. With everything that has happened recently with the general skills catergory i am feeling at a loss as what to do. Up until now i have been ploughing through all the paperwork myself & had just got to the position of submitting everything to the self assessment board. My medicals are just about run out & i don't know whether to pay the small charge to extend them or pay in full again at a later date. Would an agent be able to help me out as i don't know where to turn. I am an electrician with a full 17 years experience and full qualifications. Do i go out with my family on a 12month work visa & hope to apply out there when i hopefully get a job?
:scared:

You are nearly there now and no agent is necessary. Save your money for NZ - you will need it. If you are a well qualified and experienced sparky you should be able to get work in NZ (or Oz, if you fancy here instead). You should get the NZ yellow pages on the internet and phone up the firms you find in there. People in Oz and NZ are happy to get informal enquiries like this - they are like the 60s when it comes to getting jobs and you do better to go round door to door (or phone to phone) than use application letters, etc. If you phone up the firms and tell them your story, they will help you out if they want to give you a start. If they don't, go on to the next one. Take it from me, at least one good thing about Oz and NZ is that the people are not so formal as the poms and you will not feel daft just getting on the phone and talking to them. Once you get the first job, you are there and then you can branch out on your own or whatever you want when you get there.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKS GRAHAM FOR THE REPLY BUT HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT APPLYING FOR JOBS FROM ENGLAND. I CAN'T GET MY HEAD AROUND A COMPANY IN NZ BEING PREPARED TO TAKE SOMEONE ON WITHOUT SEEING THEM AND NOT KNOWING HOW LONG BEFORE THEY CAN START.
I guess it's down to the shortage of tradesmen, but many are doing this & getting offers, or at least interviews for when you arrive. Also look for the online papers, e.g www.odt.co.nz (Otago), job listings every Sat, often see electricians required.

Sound advice from Wilf as always, (are you feeling Ok? any blows to the head? dizzy spells??) - www.yellowpages.co.nz but get one of them cheap dial up numbers...got to be worth a few quid in phone calls..

Gra..
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gra.B
... Wilf as always, (are you feeling Ok? any blows to the head? dizzy spells??)...

Gra..
Anything to make sure that future applicants do not waste money, especially on old rope.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 5:28 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
You are nearly there now and no agent is necessary. Save your money for NZ - you will need it. If you are a well qualified and experienced sparky you should be able to get work in NZ (or Oz, if you fancy here instead). You should get the NZ yellow pages on the internet and phone up the firms you find in there. People in Oz and NZ are happy to get informal enquiries like this - they are like the 60s when it comes to getting jobs and you do better to go round door to door (or phone to phone) than use application letters, etc. If you phone up the firms and tell them your story, they will help you out if they want to give you a start. If they don't, go on to the next one. Take it from me, at least one good thing about Oz and NZ is that the people are not so formal as the poms and you will not feel daft just getting on the phone and talking to them. Once you get the first job, you are there and then you can branch out on your own or whatever you want when you get there.
Agree with this but if you are one of the people who prefer to get an agent's help I will give you my agent's contact details - I was happy enough with them. About USD2000 per family. Money down the drain but peace of mind and expert help. Private Message.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Smile thanks to one and all

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR SOUND ADVICE. THINK WE WILL TRY AND HANG ON A LITTLE LONGER WITHOUT AN AGENT AND EXTEND OUR MEDICALS FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.
WE WILL LOOK INTO ALL THE SITES YOU HAVE MENTIONED AND TAKE IT FROM THERE. AT THE END OF THE DAY I JUST HOPE THE NEW CATEGORY, WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE, WORKS IN OUR FAVOUR.
YOUR ADVICE IS ALWAYS WELCOME AND APPRECIATED.
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 12:03 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya chucks,

im watching youre every move with interest!!!!!

being your ex practice nurse!!!!!

good luck and keep in touch both of you

yvonne
xxxxxxx
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi to you guys.

Have you got a date for going yet? I am so jealous.

We have just managed to extend our medicals for another 6 months so I am hoping something happens soon.

I really want to get going with things now. Everything is ready in our file to submit, we just need to know what the new criteria is.

Keep us posted on everything, how the move goes, etc.

Take care for now

Vicky and Cayne