British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   i miss my mum! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/i-miss-my-mum-530578/)

accrington stanley Apr 19th 2008 4:37 pm

i miss my mum!

any tips for homesick-ness? anyone? well not home as such...just my mum and dad...im a grown woman for gods sake....my hubby's mum is coming out in two weeks and i am soooo jealous cos i wish it was my mum...i know thats really selfish but since i learned that my hubbys mum was coming out here, all i can think about is my mum and i have started to ring in sick at work because i feel so depressed .....i know its pathetic! has anyone got any tips to keep me sane...i will treat my hubbys mum like my own...shes a wonderful person...but still...help!

accrington stanley Apr 19th 2008 4:38 pm

Re: i miss my mum!

by the way we've been here 18 months now....this will be our 1st visitor....

tum Apr 19th 2008 5:12 pm

I can't give you any advice. But I can imagine what you must be feeling. You sound like a lovely person, saying that you love your MIL and really like to see her coming. But your only human and from what you write you really love your mum, and I would choose my mum over my MIL any time, doesn't matter how nice she is. Talk about it with your husband and/or friends. Even talk about it with your MIL when she arrives (after the jetlag that is ;) ). If she's as lovely as you say she will understand your feelings and don't worry when you are feeling a bit down. Come on, your going to have a lovely time and I hope your mum will be able to come over within a short period of time too.

Miranda xx

accrington stanley Apr 19th 2008 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by tum (Post 6233984)
I can't give you any advice. But I can imagine what you must be feeling. You sound like a lovely person, saying that you love your MIL and really like to see her coming. But your only human and from what you write you really love your mum, and I would choose my mum over my MIL any time, doesn't matter how nice she is. Talk about it with your husband and/or friends. Even talk about it with your MIL when she arrives (after the jetlag that is ;) ). If she's as lovely as you say she will understand your feelings and don't worry when you are feeling a bit down. Come on, your going to have a lovely time and I hope your mum will be able to come over within a short period of time too.

Miranda xx

oh thankyou so much....i know we will have a lovely time and i know my mum will come here one day...i just want her here now! haha! i really love it here but mums are the best dont you think? i just want to share everything here with her and i get frustrated when i cant....i appreciate your reply it has given me some comfort ...funny when you can confide in a computer sometimes hee hee! but seriously thankyou very much...i know im not on my own i have a lovely husband and child...sometimes a girl just needs her mum ,you know?

tum Apr 19th 2008 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by accrington stanley (Post 6234029)
oh thankyou so much....i know we will have a lovely time and i know my mum will come here one day...i just want her here now! haha! i really love it here but mums are the best dont you think? i just want to share everything here with her and i get frustrated when i cant....i appreciate your reply it has given me some comfort ...funny when you can confide in a computer sometimes hee hee! but seriously thankyou very much...i know im not on my own i have a lovely husband and child...sometimes a girl just needs her mum ,you know?

I know hun, I'm still in the Netherlands and we hope to be on our way pretty soon. The only person I will miss dearly is.....my mum...I love her to bits and the fact that she wants me to have the best life for me and my family, even if that means moving that far away makes me love her even more. It's the only time you can feel and behave ;) like a child without feeling guilty. Your mum sounds a bit like mine. Here's to mum's :thumbsup:

Racht70 Apr 19th 2008 6:12 pm

Awwww dont know what to say hun to make ya feel better! but here, here's a mum type of hug
{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Acringtion}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

asher Apr 19th 2008 7:51 pm

It is tough being so far from your mum but you can share things with her have you got computers with msn? If not have you thought about recording messages on a tape recorder for her and send the cassete get her to do the same it will make you feel closer.

sending ((((((((HUGS))))))) and best wishes :wub:

egghead4 Apr 19th 2008 10:30 pm

oh, I really feel for you:(
I know i'm gonna miss my mum when we leave, as I talk to her all the time. its lovely to hear how close you are:thumbsup:
why dont you send her a card, saying how much you are missing her, i bet you it will make her day, as she's probably missing you just as much:wub:
bec

flipflop Apr 19th 2008 10:35 pm

awww bless, i still want my mum when i feel ill and im 41:eek: and yes mums are the best.

Babycatcher Apr 20th 2008 3:39 am

Accrington, bit worried that your off work cause your feeling so depressed :( Hope that gets better soon as that can make you feel worse. Give your self some down time then climb back on that horse. Pampering and long chats to your mum on the phone might help...
Good luck

sprug Apr 26th 2008 11:41 pm

I know how u feel. We have been here nearly 6 months and i miss my mum and dad soooooo much. I speak to them 3 or 4 times a day and sometimes it makes it worse and other times it makes it better. Big hugs for u.
shelley xx:wub:

Cheetah7 Apr 27th 2008 1:28 am

Originally Posted by accrington stanley (Post 6233812)
any tips for homesick-ness? anyone? well not home as such...just my mum and dad...im a grown woman for gods sake....my hubby's mum is coming out in two weeks and i am soooo jealous cos i wish it was my mum...i know thats really selfish but since i learned that my hubbys mum was coming out here, all i can think about is my mum and i have started to ring in sick at work because i feel so depressed .....i know its pathetic! has anyone got any tips to keep me sane...i will treat my hubbys mum like my own...shes a wonderful person...but still...help!

I don't know your Mum but I bet she would be quite upset to know you are feeling like this.

When we moved to Perth, all my Dad was worried about was the fact that we wouldn't settle or find jobs.

Well we both have jobs and are settled and he is so relieved - it is important to parents to know that their kids are happy and settled (no matter how old they are).

Now if you are ringing in sick, you run the real risk of losing your job. How do you think that will make your Mum feel to know that you lost your job?

She would probably be distraught to know that you are feeling so upset and she isn't close to help you.

So hard though it is, try not to phone in sick anymore. Your job will be your lifesaver because it will keep you busy, keep your mind occupied and more to the point, it helps bring the money in.

Speak to your Mum often, tell her what has been happening, my Dad likes to know what I've been up to and has become a 'facebook' addict because I leave video messages for him and he said he feels closer to me for looking at my pictures/updates.

After I have been filled in on the family gossip or what is happening in the UK, I always feel less 'people sick'.

Now about Mums in general, mine died just over 2 years ago and I am missing her more now that I am in Australia than ever, so I know what you are going through.

But you have your Mum, she is happy and healthy and able to talk to you. Try not to focus on the fact she isn't in the same country, try to take comfort that you can phone her every day, you can see her via webcam and as you mentioned, you know that one day she will come out to see you.

Just remember, you need your job and your Mum needs you to be happy in your new life.

Personally, I am going to start making my own DVDs once a month - usual stuff, what I am up to, local sights etc and I will send it to my Dad.

Try anything to stop yourself feeling down, the fact you are ringing in sick is a worry and if you deal with it now, it could stop it getting worse.

Hugs to you.

rabsody Apr 27th 2008 8:02 am

AS, sorry to hear you are feeling so homesick, it's an awful feeling. Missing family would have to be the hardest part of this emigration lark. All I can say is that you have your good days (weeks, months) and your bad days, hope you have some good days soon hun xxx

team pants Apr 29th 2008 4:41 am

Hi All

This is a bit of a late reply, but just sending big hugs to all who are missing family. Accrington stanley, I cried almost every day for the last 2 weeks and really only felt a bit better when the sun came out:). I normally phone my mum once a week, but couldn't as I would've just burst into tears and then felt really guilty, I did ring my sister, cried a bit, but she is quite strong and that made me feel a bit better. when i did ring my mum, our little girl, who is nearly 2 kept saying hello granny, and of course that was very hard on the heart strings, at the end of the call we both said our love you'se and big hugs and kisses very quickly :(.
We have been here for 6 months and like someone else said there have been good and bad times, the summer was crap, so that hasn't helped, it's nice to go to the beach at the end of a tough day.
I take Lola to a music/dance group for baby's and toddlers, and today 1 of the other girls whom iv'e become good friends with was with her Mum, who was visiting from Tazmania, I looked at her and her little girl looking at her Mum/Granny, and shed a few tears thinking of my own mum not being here, but pulled myself together, ready for waving cloths and dancing around like mad things.
I'm in merewether heights, not sure where you are, send a pm if you want and i'm happy to sob or laugh anytime.
Take care

Big Big Mum and Granny crushing HUGS :D:D

Chef69 Apr 29th 2008 11:54 am

Hi. Might I be so bold as to suggest that you get your Mum a computer with a web cam. I did this for my parents before I left Ireland and I spoke to them every few days. Not only could I hear them I could also see them.We spent Christmas morning opening presents that we sent each other. I have regular cups of coffee with my Mam.

But recently it has been invaluable. My Beloved Dad passed away in Feb and I had only been speaking to him two hours earlier. He had just sung me happy Birthday. So now that I am back in Australia I can still look after my Mam. She cant hide how she is feeling as I can read her face. She can see my face when I tell her that i love her. I have noe made a set regular time with her and all my freinds know never to interrupt me at that time . it's sacred. it does make the miles seem so much smaller. And that actually came from my very own dad's mouth.

Going to send you a lovely thought about Mum's in general.

nightnurse2 Apr 29th 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Chef69 (Post 6282510)
Hi. Might I be so bold as to suggest that you get your Mum a computer with a web cam. I did this for my parents before I left Ireland and I spoke to them every few days. Not only could I hear them I could also see them.We spent Christmas morning opening presents that we sent each other. I have regular cups of coffee with my Mam.

But recently it has been invaluable. My Beloved Dad passed away in Feb and I had only been speaking to him two hours earlier. He had just sung me happy Birthday. So now that I am back in Australia I can still look after my Mam. She cant hide how she is feeling as I can read her face. She can see my face when I tell her that i love her. I have noe made a set regular time with her and all my freinds know never to interrupt me at that time . it's sacred. it does make the miles seem so much smaller. And that actually came from my very own dad's mouth.

Going to send you a lovely thought about Mum's in general.

We have a web cam but haven't used it in ages.
You've made me want to start using it again :)
Thanks W and see you soon.
Tracey x

minibelle Apr 29th 2008 11:09 pm

Hope you are feeling a bit better now (((((((((((Big Hugs))))))))))))))

minibelle

Chef69 Apr 30th 2008 12:56 am

Originally Posted by nightnurse2 (Post 6283131)
We have a web cam but haven't used it in ages.
You've made me want to start using it again :)
Thanks W and see you soon.
Tracey x

Hi Tracey,

Glad I achieved something. See you next Monday. Wait till you see what I've done to my face. Burnt the cheeks off myself with hot oil. Don't you just love me and want to be me. NOT:D

nightnurse2 Apr 30th 2008 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Chef69 (Post 6285795)
Hi Tracey,

Glad I achieved something. See you next Monday. Wait till you see what I've done to my face. Burnt the cheeks off myself with hot oil. Don't you just love me and want to be me. NOT:D

How the heck have you managed that?
Are you going to Hillary's tomorrow? I might try and go, although I've got another puppy and haven't left him alone for long up to now!
If not, I'll see you on Monday :)