Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I love Australia

I love Australia

Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:16 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love Australia

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Um, I'm not entirely sure if I'm being attacked here or not or why for that matter. Come on, play nice, I've had enough with being attacked by bloody magpies today.
Oh ok then spoilsport
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>............and we've found services are given to a higher standard quicker than the UK.<<

I wasn't going to rise to the bait of this post but................

QLD has to be a different country to NSW: this quote is absolutely wrong for here!

Don't believe me - just ask most of the native (no, not aboriginals) Australians. The standard of delivery is lamentable.
It was a purely personal statement and it's 100% fact. Don't deny other's have constant issues. We haven't. Sorry.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It was a purely personal statement and it's 100% fact. Don't deny other's have constant issues. We haven't.
Originally Posted by Wol
>>............and we've found services are given to a higher standard quicker than the UK.<<

I wasn't going to rise to the bait of this post but................

QLD has to be a different country to NSW: this quote is absolutely wrong for here!

Don't believe me - just ask most of the native (no, not aboriginals) Australians. The standard of delivery is lamentable.
Sorry.
Originally Posted by moneypen20
It was a purely personal statement and it's 100% fact. Don't deny other's have constant issues. We haven't. Sorry.
I agree that some things are far better here, like getting or renewing anything to do with your car, or some council services, and that you get more for your rates. I think it's when you deal with some trades, or with aspects of self-employment you might run into difficulties. We have found some tradies great, others not so good, but none have been tragic. I also have found all dealing with ATO flawless, and they have coughed up within weeks. (But I found UK inland revenue coughed up too). I also find all the Australian websites and dealings with gov depts good too, whether it is BOM, marriage registry, migration, passports.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I was probably being a bit over the top with my post, but sometimes I think we forget how lucky we are to have what we have. I've seen a bit of Africa, been involved in war over there, seen what real poverty, anarchy and chaos are like. When I compare Australia to where I'm from, I realise how fortunate we are.
That's the thing. Some migrants are unbelievably cocooned. The worst they have to worry about it seems is their mother in law and what an old schoolfriend said last week, the silly old cow. She said, I said, She said etc.....
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see you're loving it here - I just want to caution that these were all the sentiments we also held initially. The novelty wears thin and 22 years on, we're desperate to return to the UK - the nightmare is that now with older kids we've probably have left it too late (especially due to recession & we're knocking-on 50yrs olds). In fact, we'll probably will be trapped here now for good, which is a thought than consumes my every waking moment. We miss the humour, deep friendships and the bloody gorgeous British countryside....no amount of sunshine can make up for that.

Enjoy what brings you joy...but if you start seriously hankering after the UK, then make sure you don't put it off like we did.

Originally Posted by Brisben
Only been here 15 months but already taking things for granted, just would like some of you and myself to reflect on the changes we have made and consider differences between UK and Oz.

I don't miss

Scraping ice off the car.

rainy, damp days.

Staying indoors due to boredom.

Irate short tempered inconsiderate people.

Litter and broken glass in the street, parks.

Lots of people being confrontational.

Loving Australia.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezzie
Great to see you're loving it here - I just want to caution that these were all the sentiments we also held initially. The novelty wears thin and 22 years on, we're desperate to return to the UK - the nightmare is that now with older kids we've probably have left it too late (especially due to recession & we're knocking-on 50yrs olds). In fact, we'll probably will be trapped here now for good, which is a thought than consumes my every waking moment. We miss the humour, deep friendships and the bloody gorgeous British countryside....no amount of sunshine can make up for that.

Enjoy what brings you joy...but if you start seriously hankering after the UK, then make sure you don't put it off like we did.

Have you returned to the UK for any period of time in the 22 years? Just asking as my uncle, who has been here for 38 years now, had a similar hankering as you back about 10-15 years ago. They went home and he realised Aus was his home now and it settled him down again... Just wondering...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

jane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to alljane99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Brisben
Only been here 15 months but already taking things for granted, just would like some of you and myself to reflect on the changes we have made and consider differences between UK and Oz.

I don't miss

Scraping ice off the car.

rainy, damp days.

Staying indoors due to boredom.

Irate short tempered inconsiderate people.

Litter and broken glass in the street, parks.

Lots of people being confrontational.

I do miss.

Friends, family.

Familiar places.

Nice pubs, restaurants.

Shops where you can buy everything, tescos, asda.

Driving down country roads in spring.

The summer in the UK, you wait so long and it only lasts a week, but you feel great.

The way business and services are conducted with a sense of urgency, compared to OZ anyway.

Now the important part, why I love Australia.

Sitting on my balcony reading the paper in the morning, watching the lorikeets eat from the bottle brushes with the sun beating down on you.

Getting in the car and driving places, without many traffic jams.

Cycling to the waters edge and watching the boats and the world go bye.

The friendliness of people who actually have the time of day to say hello or lend a hand.

Seeing my children play in their own garden everyday single day for hours on end and extremely happy.

Not seeing my children spend hours on the computer games console.

Having barbecues, whenever I like, because I can

Going into my city and thinking wow this place is clean and modern.

going to the supermarket and not bumping into people, having my bags packed (Badly) and not queuing for too long.

Doing less shopping in general.

Spending much much more quality time with my family. Cannot put a price on this.

The weather in general. Just makes you happier.

If your not here yet, I hope you like it as much as we do, if you are here just remind yourself of all the positives from time to time and pat yourself on the back for the achievement that is relocating to Australia.

Many wish they could but don't muster the courage..

Loving Australia.
Sounds like it will all be worth the hastle in the end then!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, have been back every few years. Initially was always glad to be back and saw mostly the bad points of the UK...god, especially the litter. But I guess now being a bit older (not too sure about wiser?) it seems that 'people' are more important, friendships, humour and thinking about retirement...I think I'd be bored to death here in Oz. I love history and always saw myself as a National Trust volunteer and baking scones for the WI!

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
Have you returned to the UK for any period of time in the 22 years? Just asking as my uncle, who has been here for 38 years now, had a similar hankering as you back about 10-15 years ago. They went home and he realised Aus was his home now and it settled him down again... Just wondering...
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:11 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tony s
it justs gets better and better. NO REGRETS.
It certainly does.

Sweet.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>> Only been here 15 months but already taking things for granted, just would like some of you and myself to reflect on the changes we have made and consider differences between UK and Oz. <<

>>I don't miss<<

>>Scraping ice off the car.<< Depends where you live! We've had a long miserable winter: several months of grey, overcast drizzly days: damp and cold. Hard frosts but no snow this year.

>>rainy, damp days.<< See above!

>>Staying indoors due to boredom.<< Ditto here, due above weather.

>>Irate short tempered inconsiderate people.<< Certainly not so many irate, short tempered people although many more inconsiderate ones - it's in some ways the defining Australian characteristic!

>>Litter and broken glass in the street, parks.<< Far far more than in Southern England. The litter along the Sydney - Canberra highway is a national disgrace, and the broken glass and rubbish in the main streets after the Friday / Saturday fights is disgusting. This morning was particularly bad in Bowral.

>>Lots of people being confrontational.<< There certainly don't seem so many round here.

>>I do miss.<<

>>Friends, family.<< We have more friends here than the UK

>>Familiar places.<< We know the way around here far more than we ever did in the UK

>>Nice pubs, restaurants.<< Agree about pubs - Australian ones are often boozing halls - but restaurants are better value although decent ones are scarce around us.

>>Shops where you can buy everything, tescos, asda.<< Oh, Yes!

>>Driving down country roads in spring.<< , summer, Autumn and Winter <g>

>>The summer in the UK, you wait so long and it only lasts a week, but you feel great.<< The weather in general - but see above - is much more invigorating.

>>The way business and services are conducted with a sense of urgency, compared to OZ anyway.<< Agreed - no comparison

Just putting in my considered two 'pennorth

Last edited by Wol; Aug 31st 2008 at 6:36 am.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:31 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst Aus isn't perfect [nowhere is] it sure isn't a third world country. Having said that, it seems there is some differences pending on which state or where you live. Also, if someone has a downer due to missing "home" than everything can seem to get on their nerves.

It's all about different tastes and Aus isn't for everyone.

For us it ticks nearly every box and we think ourselves very lucky we have been able to live here
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

I've been reading this thread with total intrigue. Not one person has an absolute nasty word to say about Australia and that brings a bit of warmth into my heart. I have sampled Australia for 12 months in 04-05 and have made a few holidays here and there before then. I know deep down its where I want to be. (Adelaide come December).

I have noted the peeps who wish so badly to return to the UK so that they can sample what they miss so much once again. (green countryside etc).

I have absolute respect for people who want to leave as they've spent plenty of time in Aussie to decide that its not for them BUT for me it depends on your breeding and where you live in th UK. I won't miss the weather or the people believe it or not. I have some good friends here but people in general in the UK are no better in attitude no matter where I've been. If anything I found Aussies a lot friendlier. Thats not to say that my opinion is the correct one. I have lived in suburbia all my life. (Manchester/Liverpool) I live in a nice apartment block (new build) but in the middle of a council estate. My parental home has many a house whereby its boarded up and there is litter everywhere. Many people are so scared of the their own shadows where I live particularly with crime level increases, why do you think there are no good samaritans anymore. With this so called big recession we are facing upcoming (apparently the worse for 60 years) how are we gonna deal with this do you think?

Now on the flip side of the coin... just returned from a social gathering in a place called harpole in Northampton. What a quaint peaceful beautiful place. Not much litter, no noisy kids and 'chavs' hangin about on street corners. My friend who lives there leaves her door unlocked! all the neighbours say hi to you and give you greetings. I have never met them before in my life!

Do you see my point? You're opinion on the UK depends on where you live but I can tell you that Manchester and Harpole are definitely POLES apart to me.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:01 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam76
........Do you see my point? You're opinion on the UK depends on where you live but I can tell you that Manchester and Harpole are definitely POLES apart to me.
The same seems to apply to Australia too
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Yep I agree. But being a city dweller all my life i'm used to all the bad points that come with city living.

Australia for me was so diverse. More so than the UK. Sydney had pretty much all the elements...bush/beach/suburbia/city life. You didn't have to go 'to' far to experience these things. I think a lot of people who emigrate over to the smaller towns of the states if Australia maybe find it a bit to rural and what some people call 'backward' and can't settle. I admit i would find it hard to.

I'm actually thinking there wouldn't be ANY country that I could settle into fully. If I could I would be a nomad and just keep on travelling ala littlest hobo... lol.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:15 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Things I miss from London:

1. Family and friends

Things I don't like about living in Australia:

1. That feeling of financial vulnerability- as though I am on a fragile boat and doing very well thank you but someone/something could rock it at any given point. God knows why I feel like this as I lived on my overdraft in the UK and don't even have an overdraft here. I guess in Australia you really do have to stand on your own two feet which I suppose is no bad thing.

2. The drink/driving culture - even one of my Pommie colleagues tried to justify driving home whilst pissed and said 'everyone does it here' - well anyone who drinks/drives in my book is an impotent knob and there is never ever any excuse to do so.

3. The driving in general - very aggressive and it scares the crap out of me.

Things I love about living in Australia:

1. Living in Fremantle - the different houses and how they are built, full of character.

2. Seeing the parrots and have one or two of them wolf whistle at me on my way to work. (well a girl cant be too choosy at my age)

3. My train journey home from the CBD to Freo - I never tire of passing North Freo and I never tire of the dolphins whenever I see them.

4. People saying 'good morning' to me when I go to work or out to get the paper.

5. Shop assistants acknowledging me when I walk into a shop instead of me having to wait ages if I need help, a regular thing where I used to live.

6. The little supermarket where I live - Mr PP spends ages in there choosing his groceries, everyone in there knows him and the owner always says hello to him, Mr PP loves going in there to buy stuff

7. If I become any more laid back I will be horizontal and I like that - a far cry from feeling rushed and harrassed in London and although it can sometimes be annoying, I do like the 'wait awhile' attitude most of the time.

Australia wins hands down for us, but the missing family/friends is one hell of a price to pay and I never ever become complacent about the sacrafice I have made, which is why I make sure I enjoy each and every day here and in turn, my Dad enjoys hearing about it and keeping up with it on Facebook.

We had never been to WA before and I am so glad we have made it our home.

Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Neal_and_Tanya will become famous soon enoughNeal_and_Tanya will become famous soon enough

We have 4 weeks and 1 day until lading in Melbourne and reading threads like this just makes it all seem worth while!!! We cannot wait to arrive and get sorted with a flat etc.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.