Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I live in Brisbane suburbs and want to move to Melbourne or Sydney

I live in Brisbane suburbs and want to move to Melbourne or Sydney

Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Yuko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I live in Brisbane suburbs and want to move to Melbourne or Sydney

Hi Im living in Brisbane hilly leafy area with free range 4chickens.
Here Kenmore is beautiful suburbs quiet and handy 25min to city by car.
But shortage of jobs so we are thinking to move more big city.
7yrs daughter 19yrs son. I am hairdresser also pianist.myhudsband is jazz musician.
Which place is recommend?
We like nature surround place. But cant afford to live fancy area.....
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in Brisbane suburbs and want to move to Melbourne or Sydney

Originally Posted by Yuko
Hi Im living in Brisbane hilly leafy area with free range 4chickens.
Here Kenmore is beautiful suburbs quiet and handy 25min to city by car.
But shortage of jobs so we are thinking to move more big city.
7yrs daughter 19yrs son. I am hairdresser also pianist.myhudsband is jazz musician.
Which place is recommend?
We like nature surround place. But cant afford to live fancy area.....
Probably might be difficult to be living in nature within 25 mins in Sydney. That said, new rail and freeways might make that possible soon.

I have a mate who lives on a farm near Melbourne and commutes in. I believe he says 45 mins. Have been meaning to get there for a visit. Might be a better bet.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Yuko is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. You mean 45min by car?
That means like 90min by public transport?
I migrated from tokyo but longin to live country side.
We love nature.I am not interested in modern type flat.
We are looking for cottage with big yard..
We have farmers friends here, too. They are lovely people.
Its funny I am hairdresser and have to find job in centre,
But still want to live in suburbs as much as far from the city....our rent place is end on June so we are preparing and collect information by internet Melbourne is fine, I fed up Brisbanes heat. We are all arty people so good to live in Melbourne I guess.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. You mean 45min by car?
That means like 90min by public transport?
I migrated from tokyo but longin to live country side.
We love nature.I am not interested in modern type flat.
We are looking for cottage with big yard..
We have farmers friends here, too. They are lovely people.
Its funny I am hairdresser and have to find job in centre,
But still want to live in suburbs as much as far from the city....our rent place is end on June so we are preparing and collect information by internet Melbourne is fine, I fed up Brisbanes heat. We are all arty people so good to live in Melbourne I guess.
Sounds like you might like melbourne, arty, music, hot days in summer but 8 months a year nice cool climate.

Country like Kenmore is not really going to happen 25 mins from melb. A hour or so out commute, you will get countryside or green suburbs.

Look for eg Mt Macedon, this would be country like, but its an hour commute in or yarra ranges but longer commute, belgrave is another suggestion.

However please be very careful with price in melbourne, its expensive and property in short supply and things sell way over the asking price, looking on realestate.com.au in the SOLD prices will give you a better idea of real price. .
Old Jan 21st 2017, 8:50 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I fed up Brisbanes heat.
Are you sure you want the north Hokkaido cold of Melbourne instead?

Maybe somewhere closer, with a milder climate, would work? Like Mount Tamborine and the surrounding areas which are beautiful and still pretty close to the Gold Coast, where there is a huge Japanese community, especially when you compare the population size of the GC with Sydney or Melbourne:

To quote Wikipedia:
- Sydney had the largest population of Japanese born (10,020)
- followed by Melbourne (5,287)
- Brisbane (3,300)
- and the Gold Coast (3,148).

Keep in mind that Melbourne is a city of 4.5 million whereas the GC combined is just 0.5 million.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If you long for nature, why are you looking at moving to Melbourne or Sydney?

Australia is a huge country with fabulous regional areas with much better access to nature, away from the capitals. Maybe a look there would be fruitful.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the have hairdressing salons outside the city? There are larger towns in Victoria in the countryside that might suit.

Google maps will give you an idea of travel times by car and public transport too.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think a jazz musician could find gainful employment out of commuting distance of a megalopolis though? Hairdressers yes, jazz musician no.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She specifically said she would have to work in the city as a hairdresser though. That would be the daily commute at peak time so more important. I am guessing a jazz musician doesn't work 9-5😉