Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I know the question is asked frequently...

I know the question is asked frequently...

Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default I know the question is asked frequently...

However, I can't really find any complete up to date info.

Does anyone have a reasonably up to date spreadsheet or list of cost of living in Sydney?

talking about monthly groceries, water, gas, elect, telecon, misc spending, put aside for doctor/dentist, contents insurance, gifts/hair/beauty/clothes for two adults renting a two bed flat in Northern Syd. (no car and minimal travel costs)

I know it could be a case of someone spending $200 a month on clothes vs $50 vs nothing ... however, would be really good to get an idea of what to expect.

also, anyone know what a general monthly spend wtih some sort of tarrif deal on a mobile would be? roughly..

thanks ...

Last edited by Still Game; Sep 30th 2011 at 4:58 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:18 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know the question is asked frequently...

I don't think ours have changed much since last time I posted them but here you go. All costs weekly, mortage c500k, car costs paid out of salary so not included (leased), Healthcare top-up paid out of salary so not included, one personal mobile only, mobile internet thingy paid by employer so not included, childless couple, rarely cook, eat out a lot, don't smoke, one unhealthy and uses a lot of non-refundable meds, one thankfully very healthy and rarely goes to doctor, can't remember any other disclaimers I usually make

Oh yes - these figures reflect our lifestyle, our choices, and may not be directly comparable with your own. Does that cover me?

Mortgage 816
Strata Fees on apartment 128 (and not worth 10 at the moment)
Rent on Storage Cage 15
Contents Insurance NRMA 29
Council Rates 13
Water 11
Electricity 18
Gas AGL 11
Landline Phone Telstra 12
Mobile Telstra 5
Cable TV Foxtel Telstra 21
Broadband Internet TPG 12
Groceries & Eating Out 500
Road Tolls 40
Public Transport Weekly Bus Ticket 27
Health - Meds. Supplements, etc. 25
Health - Appointments 17
Hair & Beauty 90 (Polyfilla is expensive here)
Cats Food, etc. 50
Cats Annual Jabs 6
Laundry - 5 shirts pw 18
Dry Cleaning 6
House clean 43 (weekly cost of a fortnightly clean)

With all those and a couple of UK obligations (charities, insurance) we estimate we spend 100k a year on the above. Nothing in budget for booze, clothes, holidays, etc.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Seasider, sorry I didn't see your other post re costs. That to me doesn't seem as expensive as I was thinking... you spend $500 a week on eating out? good on you!!

See the storage cage - is this for furntiture you can't place in the house? thinking we might have to do the same thing..
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
Thanks Seasider, sorry I didn't see your other post re costs. That to me doesn't seem as expensive as I was thinking... you spend $500 a week on eating out? good on you!!

See the storage cage - is this for furntiture you can't place in the house? thinking we might have to do the same thing..
Ah no, it is calculated from an extremely complex formula based on estimated grocery shopping (my weekday breakfasts, other crap), lunches out, dinners out, and takeaways. I've no doubt it's miles off the mark but at least I made an attempt at it. We do eat out a lot but that's our pleasure, not going to the pub to get shitfaced Weekend breakfast/brunch out is the go in Sydney, too.

We rent a storage cage in our apartment complex. We have a modern apartment and, whilst it has surprisingly good built-in storage by today's standards, we have an awful lot of 'stuff'. It's great for storing surplus furniture (I really must get rid of some), unseasonal items - heaters, coolers - suitcases (why do we have so many?), big bags of catlit, etc., etc. Being in the building it's very accessible so we can store things in it that we need regularly. We could probably get away with a smaller one, which I think would be a bit cheaper, but the previous owner passed it onto us and it's right next to our parking spaces and we're lazy They're quite common - I guess it's like having a basement in your house.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sounds like you have a pretty good life out there. have heard there's a bit of a east / north divide... shine a light?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:50 am
Auntie Fa

We have a lovely life, thanks, but then we are very easy-going, count our blessings and are pretty happy wherever we are. (Never take it for granted though, and know it could all end tomorrow - and we'd cope. Jesus this is nauseating but it's true And I have had an Apple Martini so please give me a bit of leeway...)

Did you ask about McMahons Point a while back? I answered on that thread. I loved living there when we were renting but TBH I prefer where we are now, Alexandria in the Inner West, towards the East, aka City Fringes according to some. (Confused yet?)

Where you'll like living depends on your family circumstances and lifestyle - I could never live out in The Hills but I know it suits families well, for instance. We moved to Sydney, we want to live in Sydney. I like being near a ton of cafes and restaurants of all cuisines and price ranges. Can walk to Erskineville and Newtown, or even to Central. It's not the Eastern Suburbs but I'd only live there if I could wake up with a seaview and that's way out of reach! So we live amongst the factory outlets and to be honest I'm not a great fan of Bondi or Coogee, although do like Bronte.

Actually, just had a great day today, and would you believe it started in the much-criticised Redfern (Sure I pick and choose my areas and I still have a bit of a thing about the area around the station, although I'm getting over it.) Spent a couple of hours showing a North Shore girlfriend all the wonderful retro furniture shops there, then went off to a new restaurant in Randwick, owned by an English guy and serving British gastro-pub type food. Marvellous. She now wants to move south and I need a nana nap.