Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I know the pros, What are the cons?

I know the pros, What are the cons?

Old Jul 27th 2002, 10:20 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I know the pros, What are the cons?

Dear All,

As you may have seen from a previous thread, I am considering migrating to Australia in a few years. I have read loads of very good reasons to do this, but very few reasons against.

One thing that concerns me is the dangerous creatures as I have 3 young children - in the UK, nothing is dangerous so they not used to being careful.

Truthfully, for those of you that have made the jump, what are the disadvantages and how worried should I be about any dangerous beasties (please forgive my lack of knowledge on this matter!)

PS - Can you still get a good pint Guinness over there????
Old Jul 28th 2002, 5:20 am
Russell Driver

Default Re: I know the pros, What are the cons?

"DevMountain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Dear All,
    >
    > As you may have seen from a previous thread, I am considering migrating to
    > Australia in a few years. I have read loads of very good reasons to do this, but
    > very few reasons against.
    >
    > One thing that concerns me is the dangerous creatures as I have 3 young children -
    > in the UK, nothing is dangerous so they not used to being careful.
    >
    > Truthfully, for those of you that have made the jump, what are the disadvantages
    > and how worried should I be about any dangerous beasties (please forgive my lack of
    > knowledge on this matter!)
    >
    > PS - Can you still get a good pint Guinness over there????
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday???
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Here we go with the "Beasties" thread again!

All I can say is don't worry too much about them,you quickly become "streetwise"
regarding any dangers here. Commonsense advice with the kids rather then putting the
fear of God into them is the way to go. I moved from the UK to a fairly rural area
south of Adelaide and we have our fair share ( perhaps more ) of beasties. We just
take them mainly for granted,wear gloves in the garden, always shake out footwear
etc.it soon becomes part of life. My 12 year old daughter sweeps up scorpions (not
lethal) in the house without batting an eyelid now. Mind you Huntsman spiders still
make you jump,even though they are not poisonous.

If you chose to live in a suburban area you will see very little of the "beasties" ,
just keep your property clean and tidy.

HTH

Cheers

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of opportunity and preparation cross.

Old Jul 28th 2002, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi there

As Russell said there is a really long thread on this subject. If you type in Beasties in the search thingy it will bring it up.

love sophia xx
Old Jul 28th 2002, 10:20 am
Rob

In <[email protected]> DevMountain wrote:

> Truthfully, for those of you that have made the jump, what are the disadvantages
    > and how worried should I be about any dangerous beasties (please forgive my lack of
    > knowledge on this matter!)

I bought this book last week:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/.../robsphotos-21

It's aimed at Ozzie kids who are more used to dealing with the risks, so for us
wannabe immigrants, it can be a scary read. The book even includes the platypus which
has a poisonous spur. The book includes a piece on bees and wasps and makes them
appear as potentially dangerous even though most Brits and Europeans see them as a
mostly harmless annoyance.

Nevertheless, I'd recommend the book for a quick read now and then take it with you
to Oz for future reference and identification purposes.