Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I know its wonderful here but I am having a homesick moment please talk me out of it

I know its wonderful here but I am having a homesick moment please talk me out of it

Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

barkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nice
Default I know its wonderful here but I am having a homesick moment please talk me out of it

I have been here 3 years and I know the bonus points etc but am having a homesick moment and would love someone to remind me why I wnat to stay. I am sure when you do I will remember
thankyou in anticipation
Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I know its wonderful here but I am having a homesick moment please talk me out of it

Originally Posted by barkingRockateer
I have been here 3 years and I know the bonus points etc but am having a homesick moment and would love someone to remind me why I wnat to stay. I am sure when you do I will remember
thankyou in anticipation
This made me laugh. It was headline news here this morning. You're liable to a £2,500 fine if you fly the England flag out of your window - as technically you need planning permission for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The stupidity of petty bureaucrats!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its wonderful here but I am having a homesick moment please talk me out of it

thankyou in anticipation

Ok, do me best! Hang in there for a start - maybe it is just your gut feeling telling you it's time for a VISIT home to see family and friends -I am guessing this is what you are most homesick for? Maybe things aren't going so well at the moment? If that's the case then try a few phone calls / skype calls home just to catch up and chat - talking usually helps. It might be hard at the moment to think of the good things in oz, but if you have been here three years then you have settled somewhat - built a home of sorts, have familiar things around you. It's very hard when you are homesick, but I find if I chat with the close friends and family I love then it makes it easier to get through the hard times. You are never alone on BE anyway!!! Am sure many more folk with come on to help you through this time. At the least if you and your loved ones are healthy then that's something to make your heart sing....

S
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

bump - c'mon folk - don't make me a liar! Mods - should this be on the barbie???

S
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou in anticipation
Remember why you came here.
Do you have kids.
Do you want them to grow up in UK.
More blue skies, not the grey miserable ones.
Yes i have bad days also, maybe you could go back for a holiday.
Go for a nice drive to somewhere you really love.
You might feel better tomorrow. Hope you do.
Denise
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:24 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know its wonderful here but I am having a homesick moment please talk me out of

thankyou in anticipation
M25 traffic
London Tubes in the middle of summer - the odour, the delays
Sleepless nights in the soaring heat due to no AC and high humidity.
Drunks walking past your house (because so many pubs on every corner).

Oz - Bright Blue Sky, Friendly people, great food and coffee
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:25 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I know its wonderful here but I am having a homesick moment please talk me out of

Do you know what it is you're homesick about?

Personally I think it's entirely normal to feel homesick ... I was sort of writing about this tonight in my blog a bit. If you think about it, we have our whole lives to get to a comfortable level of familiarity with our home country so when we leave that and come to a new one, why do people expect to feel an instant comfort and level of familiarity that they had in their original country? It's just not realistic, is it!
Cultural identity is a weird thing that we aren't born with, but which we learn at our most vulnerable points in life... when we are tiny. To therefore come to a completely new country and expect to assimilate with the cultural identity it offers in a short space of time is unusual in the extreme.
What you're feeling is probably partly due to this and probably partly due to your own natural cycle of wellbeing... We cannot be happy go lucky humans all the time and it's entirely natural to feel down or 'sick' and crave the familiarity which we've had ingrained in us from the getgo because we look to familiarity to comfort ourselves....

To be honest, just be kind to yourself. Listen to what you need.... chill out and have a beer, or go and have a good cry on the beach or do just whatever you feel like doing. It's natural and you can't force yourself into feeling happy and at peace with yourself if there's something that's stopping that. It's not healthy.

I'm not going to jolly you along because there's no point in doing that - you need to just take the time to relocate your equilibrium and centre yourself again. Take time for yourself and you'll be ok.

Have a good weekend.

x

Last edited by iPom; Jun 30th 2006 at 10:27 am.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iPom
Do you know what it is you're homesick about?

Personally I think it's entirely normal to feel homesick ... I was sort of writing about this tonight in my blog a bit. If you think about it, we have our whole lives to get to a comfortable level of familiarity with our home country so when we leave that and come to a new one, why do people expect to feel an instant comfort and level of familiarity that they had in their original country? It's just not realistic, is it!
Cultural identity is a weird thing that we aren't born with, but which we learn at our most vulnerable points in life... when we are tiny. To therefore come to a completely new country and expect to assimilate with the cultural identity it offers in a short space of time is unusual in the extreme.
What you're feeling is probably partly due to this and probably partly due to your own natural cycle of wellbeing... We cannot be happy go lucky humans all the time and it's entirely natural to feel down or 'sick' and crave the familiarity which we've had ingrained in us from the getgo because we look to familiarity to comfort ourselves....

To be honest, just be kind to yourself. Listen to what you need.... chill out and have a beer, or go and have a good cry on the beach or do just whatever you feel like doing. It's natural and you can't force yourself into feeling happy and at peace with yourself if there's something that's stopping that. It's not healthy.

I'm not going to jolly you along because there's no point in doing that - you need to just take the time to relocate your equilibrium and centre yourself again. Take time for yourself and you'll be ok.

Have a good weekend.

x

Great advice ipom... S
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:45 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou in anticipation
Can't really top that great reply by Ipom, but will add my tuppence-worth.

If your homesickness was to become a recurring theme, there is a simple explanation: you miss your home & want to be there.

Australia is a fantastic country, but so to is the U.K. It's where you are from.

You will get over this particular bout, I have no doubt, and it's good to come on here and sound off about it, we're all in the same boat.

But to reiterate, if it's a recurring theme, then it's genuine homesickness.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Hello, I looked at you profile and it says you like good food and good wine - both are way better in Oz and cheaper on the whole than the UK.
I think you need to remember why you came to Oz in the first place - at a guess better weather, outdoors lifestyle etc..
You simply can't get that in UK - well 3 months of the year you can but that's all. For 9 months of the year the wether is miserable and so are the people.
Remember the grey skies and the even greyer cities!!
Think of Swindon or Northampton!!!!!!!!!
Like the others say, maybe a little holiday to the UK is needed - I'd suggest November time so you can remind yourself that you REALLY don't want to live in the UK!!
Maybe you could do an "English night" (if you're from England). You could get a load of stuff from one of those import shops and have a real taste of the familiar from "home".
Don't give in to the homesickness!!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I know its wonderful here but I am having a homesick moment please talk me out of

Originally Posted by thebears
London Tubes in the middle of summer
Hey! London tubes in summer are great!!! Lots of short-skirted city babes!

My favourite time on the tube (and bear in mind I travel 42 tube stops a day!)

To combat the heat I leave my work clothes at work and travel in shorts and a T shirt!

Buzzy
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:02 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon and alex
I'd suggest November time so you can remind yourself that you REALLY don't want to live in the UK!!

I could post photographs of a jam packed tube train in central London, full of smelly sweaty commuters - some with a serious wind problem.

Of course you wont be able to appreciate the true aroma of these people, but you can use your imagination.

And to think I pay nearly £40 a week for the privilege. :scared:

Seriously, I hope you feel better about things soon.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

barkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nice

have just read through all your replys and thanks a heap! I know you all make sense and I appreciate the blurb. Am having a glass of red (or two) and will make sure I go somewhere up by Pittwater this weekend to soak up the peace and solitude and recharge. Thanks again and oh before I forget I rang my daughter in Kingston Upon Thames and she told me that just outside her door on the towpath a guy was set upon and beaten senseless by a gang of thugs and no one seemed interested. Her friend also told her to stop walking alone in Bushey Park with her son in his pushchair her words being "are you mad?" She has just returned from living in Manly so if I needed a reminder I have got one.
thanks again

Originally Posted by jon and alex
Hello, I looked at you profile and it says you like good food and good wine - both are way better in Oz and cheaper on the whole than the UK.
I think you need to remember why you came to Oz in the first place - at a guess better weather, outdoors lifestyle etc..
You simply can't get that in UK - well 3 months of the year you can but that's all. For 9 months of the year the wether is miserable and so are the people.
Remember the grey skies and the even greyer cities!!
Think of Swindon or Northampton!!!!!!!!!
Like the others say, maybe a little holiday to the UK is needed - I'd suggest November time so you can remind yourself that you REALLY don't want to live in the UK!!
Maybe you could do an "English night" (if you're from England). You could get a load of stuff from one of those import shops and have a real taste of the familiar from "home".
Don't give in to the homesickness!!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

To combat the heat I leave my work clothes at work and travel in shorts and a T shirt!

Buzzy
I'm with Buzzy on that one! The tube is great for checking the chicks!!! Not as good as an Ozzie beach though!!!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:08 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy

PMSL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.