Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I know it's been asked a thousand times but............!

I know it's been asked a thousand times but............!

Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

tommygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile I know it's been asked a thousand times but............!

dear all
i have finally registered on this site having viewed posts over the last year- it feels vaguely symbolic as if by registering it somehow moves us closer to making a decision to emigrate!

my husband and i have seriously considered moving but as always there are the inevitable things to consider like family and friends and ties etc. like everyone else we want to have the opportunity of a better lifestyle as in community, outdoors/ weather, different culture and experience etc to raise our two little girls aged 5 and 3. ( i also have two older sons aged 23 and 18 who are both in the british army and have left home now)

at the risk of boring people on here or getting tedious i would be very grateful is anybody would give us their thoughts on a few issues. i work as a manger for the probation service and my husband as a project estimator with a scandinavian commercial window company in the midlands. he was made redundant on christmas eve (happy christmas!!!) and is now looking for work again.

i have an aunt (mum's sister) who lives in sydney and i also have a half brother who lives and works there and who emigrated there about 14 years ago. myhusband has a good contact in brisbane (former work colleague who emigrated about 8 months ago) who has offered help to him in terms of finding employment.( husband is 44 yrs and will be 45 in august so time running out)

should we get a migration agent instead of going it alone ?
any recommendations of reputable companies if that is allowed on here?
any idea of cost outlay?
anybody have knowledge of dept of corrections sydney/brisbane, employment opps etc?
is brisbane or sydney preferable for young families?
our current jobs are not on the critical skills list- does that mean we don't have any hope or does the family connection mean we have a hope?
do you needs tons in the bank to cover it all?
what does TRA mean?- i keep seeing it but can't find an explanation?
do people really really maximise the benefits of the lifestyle once they get to oz or do old habits die hard and people find themselves slobbing out in front of the t.v. all winter?!
i know this is extremely subjective but is the issue of missing family something you learn to live with or is it always a thorn in the heart as well as the guilt feelings of taking the kids away from grandparents etc?

as i have said i really don't mean to irritate people by asking the above questions that i know have been asked a thousand times but i suppose it is just a way of getting reassurance into my inbox. there does seem to be a really genuinely good spirit on here and i would be grateful for anyone's time or consideration.
many thanks in advance
tommygirl
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: I know it's been asked a thousand times but............!

Only got a quick 30s so can't address all points!

Purely due to the fact of your OH turning 45 in August I would contact an agent and do it fast! You do not have time for mistakes. There are plenty of reputable agents (MARA registered). We used Ian Harrop in Burford. Couldn't fault them.

Hope this helps!

Adi
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: I know it's been asked a thousand times but............!

Originally Posted by tommygirl
is brisbane or sydney preferable for young families?
Having lived in both, (my daughter was 2 when we moved back to Sydney, and 6 when we moved up to Brisbane Bayside six years ago), my personal opinion is that Brisbane may be better, if you pick the right areas.

However, you have relatives in the Sydney area.

That could make it a difficult choice.