Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I know, boring subject: house selling...

I know, boring subject: house selling...

Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:27 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default I know, boring subject: house selling...

... & choosing an agent.

In the last wk we have had a few agent around and with the help of my sis, I had a list of Qs to ask. So if you are reaching that stage, I thought some may appreciate me sharing them.

What is your realistic valuation?

Would you be advertising the property at that price or increasing the price with an aim to reach your realistic valuation?

What, if anything, do you think we need to do to improve our property for selling?

What do you see as the properties selling points?

What do you see as an obstacle to selling the property

How many clients do the agents have on their books that are interested in this type of property?

In your professional opinion how long will it take you to sell my house?

What client market would you aim my property at (single, couples, families)?

How long have you personally been an estate agent and how long has the company been in business?

How many full time agents and admin staff work in your office?

Are your offices open 7 days a week?

Do you provide feedback after each viewing?

Estate Agents Agency Agreement – normally 16 weeks - is this negotiable YES or NO

What are your fees? Negotiable?

Are you a member of any professional organisations?

We are only interested in serious buyers – what steps will you take to ensure that only such people will view the property?

What would the suggested strategy be for marketing once an acceptable offer has been made?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know, boring subject: house selling...

Originally Posted by walaj
... & choosing an agent.

In the last wk we have had a few agent around and with the help of my sis, I had a list of Qs to ask. So if you are reaching that stage, I thought some may appreciate me sharing them.

What is your realistic valuation?

Would you be advertising the property at that price or increasing the price with an aim to reach your realistic valuation?

What, if anything, do you think we need to do to improve our property for selling?

What do you see as the properties selling points?

What do you see as an obstacle to selling the property

How many clients do the agents have on their books that are interested in this type of property?

In your professional opinion how long will it take you to sell my house?

What client market would you aim my property at (single, couples, families)?

How long have you personally been an estate agent and how long has the company been in business?

How many full time agents and admin staff work in your office?

Are your offices open 7 days a week?

Do you provide feedback after each viewing?

Estate Agents Agency Agreement – normally 16 weeks - is this negotiable YES or NO

What are your fees? Negotiable?

Are you a member of any professional organisations?

We are only interested in serious buyers – what steps will you take to ensure that only such people will view the property?

What would the suggested strategy be for marketing once an acceptable offer has been made?

Very comprehensive.

I just went with the local one that markets most of the propertys in the area.

That might explain why I still haven't sold my house
Old Jul 17th 2005, 6:37 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

It is also interesting the different answers they give - to the one re anything to do to the house to sell it - 2 said nothing at all, which surprised me because I know there are little things that need to be done to give a finished look etc Maybe because they were not as observant as the last one or did not have the balls to say, this bit needs a touch up with paint or that bedroom is a little bold, if feedback from viewing mentions it then paint it.

Valuations are coming in considerably lower than we were expecting/hoping for, but with the amounts that they say the market has fallen in the last year, explaining the difference.

One thing the agents/prospective buyer are/will be told, is that were are relocating to another area and will be renting for a while. The truth, but not the whole truth

If others have any other Qs to add to list, feel free, or any other tips
Old Jul 17th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

It is also interesting the different answers they give - to the one re anything to do to the house to sell it - 2 said nothing at all, which surprised me because I know there are little things that need to be done to give a finished look etc Maybe because they were not as observant as the last one or did not have the balls to say, this bit needs a touch up with paint or that bedroom is a little bold, if feedback from viewing mentions it then paint it.

Good point. I asked the agent this and he said not to bothere decorating because people only decorate it to their own taste. I have now decided to repaint the whole of the upstairs. I don't think sonme people can actually see past the decorating and my kids bedrooms are, as you put it, bold to say the least. I really think that it's putting some people off. I am also going to repaint the hall and stairs as although it isn't long since it was done there are a few chips here and there.

I wish I hadn't listened and done it in the first place.

Valuations are coming in considerably lower than we were expecting/hoping for, but with the amounts that they say the market has fallen in the last year, explaining the difference.

One thing the agents/prospective buyer are/will be told, is that were are relocating to another area and will be renting for a while. The truth, but not the whole truth

Same here. I say that I'm going into rented accommodation and am selling early so that I'm not rushingf to sell. Truth is I want to go now!!!

If others have any other Qs to add to list, feel free, or any other tips
Good to see what others experiences are.

Tracey
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:19 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We had one agent who overpriced our house by £30K AND said "Dont worry about finishing the jobs, just get it on the market".

Needless to say we are NOT using this clown...