Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I knew it was all going too well! :(

I knew it was all going too well! :(

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default I knew it was all going too well! :(

Well just been reading up on the web about a Visa for our up coming holiday. I will need an ETA Visa and when looking thru the FAQ section on the ETA website I've just read that if you have a criminal record, you CANNOT visit Australia!

I have one

I've looked into this as far as Migrating is concerned and because the offences are silly stuff and over 15 yr ago at least, I should be ok on that front, but the web is telling me I need to be clean for a holiday.

I just phoned a random Travel Agent and they too tell me I cannot go If I have a record! :scared: :scared:

Someone PLEASE tell me this isn't so!

PLEEEEEEEEEESE!!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I knew it was all going too well! :(

I think you will find its a case of no ETA if you have a record. However there is an ordinary tourist visa, which you apply for through the High Commission, and they will want to know what they record is for and whether they think they want you to visit, or whether the record makes you undesirable! Travel Agents usually only deal with ETAs, so are probably not aware of the other rules.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[

Hi I think it depends on the offence, if it is a spent conviction etc. I too have a record from when I was a teenager, nothing serious and I have had 3 ETA visas when I have been on holiday in OZ. I also declared them when I applied and it did not stop me getting a Visa.

John
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/visiting_tourism.htm

especially the bit -

"Applying in person or by mail

If you are not eligible to apply for an ETA or a Tourist Short Stay visa over the Internet, or if you wish to apply for a Tourist (Long Stay) visa, you may apply for a visitor visa in person or by mail."

You would fall into the "not eligible to apply for an ETA" category.

(if you are worried about the criminal record itself and whether it will affect your chances of getting a visa, you can send me details by pm, and I'll answer you in the morning - off for now!)

Polly
(police records checker!)
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look at
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/visiting_tourism.htm

especially the bit -

"Applying in person or by mail

If you are not eligible to apply for an ETA or a Tourist Short Stay visa over the Internet, or if you wish to apply for a Tourist (Long Stay) visa, you may apply for a visitor visa in person or by mail."

You would fall into the "not eligible to apply for an ETA" category.

(if you are worried about the criminal record itself and whether it will affect your chances of getting a visa, you can send me details by pm, and I'll answer you in the morning - off for now!)

Polly

(police records checker!)

Thanks Polly I was hoping you'd reply

I HAVE sent you my convictions before when I posted Re: the Migration police check. You seemed to think I would be ok as they after all are for stupid things, and all quite a while ago. I've only got 3 I think, and last was over 15 years ago.

I think a visit to Australia House tomorrow is in order!

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:32 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Thanks Polly I was hoping you'd reply

I HAVE sent you my convictions before when I posted Re: the Migration police check. You seemed to think I would be ok as they after all are for stupid things, and all quite a while ago. I've only got 3 I think, and last was over 15 years ago.

I think a visit to Australia House tomorrow is in order!

Thanks
Paul

On the ETA factsheet it says:

"The system performs an online check of DIMIA warning records, and if no adverse record is detected, the service provider is advised that the ETA has been granted. If a 'referral' message is received, the service provider refers the applicant to the nearest Australian diplomatic office."

Could you not apply for ETA & then see if its referred?????? Only $20...?

Claire
x
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Paul

On the ETA factsheet it says:

"The system performs an online check of DIMIA warning records, and if no adverse record is detected, the service provider is advised that the ETA has been granted. If a 'referral' message is received, the service provider refers the applicant to the nearest Australian diplomatic office."

Could you not apply for ETA & then see if its referred?????? Only $20...?

Claire
x
Gotta be worth a go!

Oh and hope the BBQ isn't off cos of it ?!

I AM a very good boy now ...lol
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:54 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I've had 3 ETA's and have a criminal record all be it spent.

It wont be a problem, just get one online I did took a minute
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
I've had 3 ETA's and have a criminal record all be it spent.

It wont be a problem, just get one online I did took a minute
Cheers everyone

I'm out for 20 to pick up me daughter then gonna give it a shot upon return.

I'll post my findings!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:25 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

I didn't know you still needed a criminal record to visit Australia.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Well this is what happened!

So that's good to go surely !?!?!

Bloody hope so! ...lol

Altho is this indicative of how a Police check would go too ?!?! As I said, my Criminal Record was silly stuff, nothing serious, and last conviction was 1989.

I wonder if I am a free man now ?? ...lol

I need to send off £10 to Scotland Yard and get one of those checks you can get before I go anywhere near my Student Visa application, but with this coming back ok (I think, NO referral!), I just wonder
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:13 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Well this is what happened!

So that's good to go surely !?!?!

Bloody hope so! ...lol

Altho is this indicative of how a Police check would go too ?!?! As I said, my Criminal Record was silly stuff, nothing serious, and last conviction was 1989.

I wonder if I am a free man now ?? ...lol

I need to send off £10 to Scotland Yard and get one of those checks you can get before I go anywhere near my Student Visa application, but with this coming back ok (I think, NO referral!), I just wonder
Woohoo - flipping ace! Did the other 3 go thru ok too?
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:18 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that gave me a bit of a worry! Glad it looks ok for you.

Shirley
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Woohoo - flipping ace! Did the other 3 go thru ok too?
Pah! .... sod them! ....

Naaaah, just got off the phone to my sister who is VERY keen to see how things are going for me with the immigration side as she wants to visit asap to see if Oz is for her! .... :scared: ....... didn't know she was looking to get out of the UK too, but appears to be the case!

Brother wants to go to Portugal!

Last one out, please remember to turn off the light!

Oh and I'll try the others now
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Paul you really are determined that things will go wrong. Chill man. Put positive head on and keep it there please Stop looking for problems until they find you.

Don't start worrying about the pcc. If people can get in with prison history you can with three minors years ago.

And reeeelaaaax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.