I just won a million!!

Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Perthplease is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I just won a million!!

not really,

Hi all,

Righty O,

we emigrated to perth 9 weeks ago and have come for a different lifestyle compared to the stresses and strains of the London, I am in the IT field, like most people will consider anything for work etc, maybe even retrain in a different career which I have looked into.

so far I have been a

Swimming pool cleaner in and around Perth.
Factory Hand in metal factory
Painter and decorator in a private hospital

jobs applied for range from pest control, IT related, information officer, bus driver, ship builders offsider, storeperson, admin assistant, warehouse person, landscaper, gardener and others, now don't get me wrong i'm not shy as you can see about work, but this place is really hard work, it's not what you know it's who u know it seems i have been told, when we applied for our visa they was fast tracking IT related people, but IT work is thin on the ground all over i'm told.

so is there anyone who has come to Perth and moved over east to Queensland to find more opportunities elsewhere, I have 3 chimps and a dragon to support and they don't come cheap, all I want is a sensible wage to live on, surely it cant be that hard, can it.

so is there anyone in the same position as me or worse i'll love to know how your all getting on.

we originally said that we will stay 2 years and all that to get citizenship etc.. but how younsters afford to buy a place out here on the crap wages i'll never know!!

thanks for reading
PP

Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi PP
Thanks for the post - good luck with the job hunting- you've certainly tried a lot in a short period of time.
Larissa
PS Very amused about the dragon and chimps comment!!!
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:39 pm
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello mate,
Sorry to hear about the job situation whereabouts in Perth are you living?
My wife and I will be arriving in Perth probably New Years Day but flights are yet to be booked and I will be looking for some work when we arrive.
Currently I'm a postie and I'm looking forward to trying something different,like you I'm not fussy but I hope to find something reasonably quickly even if it's only part time.
Where have you found the jobs you have done so far(paper/website etc)why have they not lasted for you?
Dont give up too soon I'm sure something will come up eventually.
See you in Perth maybe?
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:45 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I just won a million!!

Originally posted by Perthplease
jobs applied for range from pest control, IT related, information officer, bus driver, ship builders offsider, storeperson, admin assistant, warehouse person, landscaper, gardener and others, now don't get me wrong i'm not shy as you can see about work, but this place is really hard work, it's not what you know it's who u know it seems i have been told, when we applied for our visa they was fast tracking IT related people, but IT work is thin on the ground all over i'm told.

Hey PP,

It's a little like that in the UK at the moment but clearly it depends on what skills you have. Headhunting happens, as does benching of excellent talent so I don't believe the problem is unique to Oz.

What do you do in I.T.?

Best of luck with the ongoing hunt.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mr2blue/<")))><

well I am living in a suburb called Gwelup/Carine and forgot to mention that I have also applied for the WA post here in Gwelup, the jobs were only temporary for an agency so that was it for a while. The roles I was during my IT work were mainly operations roles and troubleshooting for over 8 years.

so good luck to you both when you arrive, no doubt something will turn up, fingers crossed.

PP

Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

the jobs were only temporary for an agency so that was it for a while.
Hi, pretty much in the same boat as you, IT is very difficult to get into and you are right about it being who you know. I have 15 years experience in network / server support, project managment etc. but no luck yet. Which agency did you get the temp work with? was it slave wages like UK agencies. We are like you applying for anything and everything but no joy.

The good thing is you have now worked in Perth and have references which is always a good start.

As for moving to another state for IT work, think you might stand better chance in Sydney, have a mate in Melbourne who says its just as bad.

We are here in South Perth for three months then who knows. Have a mate in Dubai so possible oppurtunities there.

Keep plugging away and somthing will turn up eventually.

Good luck.

Last edited by karawara88; Sep 8th 2003 at 1:29 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice,

Sorry to hear about your circumstances also, you seem to have more experience than me, your right the wages ove here are absolutely rubbish, I never came ove here to make a fortune, but I wanted a liveable wage to maybe not have to budget form the minute I arrived, if these are liveable wages, then i'm dying, but hey, no-one said it was going to be easy!!!!!

good luck to you in your quest for work, hope it works out for you.

PP
Old Sep 8th 2003, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

On my reckoning you have to earn at least twice what you earnt in UK to have a liveable wage. Its an expensive place to live on plastic $ Nice place to be skint though.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Perthplease
not really,

Hi all,

Righty O,

we emigrated to perth 9 weeks ago and have come for a different lifestyle compared to the stresses and strains of the London, I am in the IT field, like most people will consider anything for work etc, maybe even retrain in a different career which I have looked into.

so far I have been a

Swimming pool cleaner in and around Perth.
Factory Hand in metal factory
Painter and decorator in a private hospital

so is there anyone who has come to Perth and moved over east to Queensland to find more opportunities elsewhere, I have 3 chimps and a dragon to support and they don't come cheap, all I want is a sensible wage to live on, surely it cant be that hard, can it.

so is there anyone in the same position as me or worse i'll love to know how your all getting on.

we originally said that we will stay 2 years and all that to get citizenship etc.. but how younsters afford to buy a place out here on the crap wages i'll never know!!

thanks for reading
PP

Nothing in your post surprises me. I have posted many times about the difficulties for poms getting jobs in Oz but people always seem to think I am talking about great careers - I am just talking about jobs to pay the bills. Great careers are virtually impossible for poms.

One of the many "opportunities" that Oz offers will be the opportunity to see what it is like to be long term unemployed. It is shit and causes people to question themselves.

Perhaps your post will be more persuasive than mine have been.

Good luck with your hunt. You certainly are not lacking in determination.

Wilf
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

If I was a computer whiz I would be straight out there setting up a business repairing peoples computers in their homes and offices.

Our comp repair place is booked out for weeks, (Brother in law was a computer whiz but hes gone to Canberra for 6 months) so I cant believe the hassle and time to get things fixed.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:29 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

How about helping your brethren with a new topic:
"What Poms Must Do to Get Jobs In Aus"

Last edited by Megalania; Sep 9th 2003 at 12:12 am.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in IT too. Most of the IT work is in Sydney, next most is in Melbourne. Not much in the other cities. If one of your careers doesn't work out (surely it must do - with all those to choose from ) maybe a move is in order? But I wouldn't suggest Queensland for IT. Like the majority of Aussies who need affordable housing and jobs you'll probably find the outskirts of the major east coast cities works - despite the long commutes.

Not a comment on your situation - just generally wondering why does everyone go to Perth and assume there will be jobs? It's not actually a major city. The population of the whole Perth area is only the size of a small British city - like Bristol or Southampton if you include the nearby surrounding areas within a 30 minute commute - and in those cities people often end up commuting hours to London or the Thames Valley to get work. In IT especially. Nowhere else to commute to from Perth...

Unfortunately IT, unlike local service industries, lends itself to centralisation in Oz...which means the eastern states.

Best of luck in whatever job works out.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 11:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT in Sydney

I am an IT support technician in Sydney and it is very hard here as well. I am seriously considering a career change.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:05 am
owieb

Originally posted by Jolyn
Not a comment on your situation - just generally wondering why does everyone go to Perth and assume there will be jobs?
Because people don't want to believe that there isn't any jobs!

Many people have posted on here about the lack of jobs in Perth, especially IT, and how the cost of living is high once you start earning dollars, but it falls on deaf ears!

Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IT in Sydney

This finding a job problem is not exclusive to OZ, more to immigraton wherever you go.

Look at it this way, you move, nobody knows you, contacts are lost, you have not got the local experince or network of mates to pass on job opps to you.

Every single country I have lived and worked in I started out with a really crappy job just to get money while I worked back up the ladder. The Canadian board is full of threads similar to this one, no jobs, no experience. Thats part of the immigration package, starting again, and yes many take a drop back before they go up again.

Prepare in your funds for a few months supporting yourself or be prepared to take on a few yukky jobs for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.