Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I just got granted a WHV... 4 hours after applying!

I just got granted a WHV... 4 hours after applying!

Old May 5th 2010, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Wibble Wobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I just got granted a WHV... 4 hours after applying!

I'm shocked.

When I applied for a U.S. 4-month visa, it took 6 months of waiting, an embassy visit, tons of paperwork, and lots of verification.

I applied for an Australian working holiday visa 4 hours ago. I just got approved. No paperwork. Just one confirmation email.

How efficient! I love Australia already!

I would really appreciate any advice with the following questions:

1) I'm male, about to turn 19, and want a sunny city -- Melbourne or Sydney?

2) Do you know any tech companies that may be hiring? I am a programmer and my previous job was at a startup. This is where I want to stay with my career.

3) Is it easy to obtain a job offer before coming over? I won't come over until I'm sure I have a job and a place to stay (that I can afford).

Many thanks!

(Also posting this to expatforum.com -- I'll be checking both sites for replies.)
Old May 5th 2010, 4:42 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: I just got granted a WHV... 4 hours after applying!

Originally Posted by Wibble Wobble
You *really* want sunny? Consider other places too, Brisbane is fantastic in winter. Darwin has *some* IT work - and mid-year has fantastic climate and a few good spots to visit out of the city.

2) Do you know any tech companies that may be hiring? I am a programmer and my previous job was at a startup. This is where I want to stay with my career.
Gotta hit the ground running - see recruitment agents once you're here and dont be picky. Jobs are not as plentiful as they once were and wont be as well paid as you might expect. Check www.seek.com.au for some idea - but as a WHV holder you'll struggle over 'real' locals unless its a short term contract role.

3) Is it easy to obtain a job offer before coming over? I won't come over until I'm sure I have a job and a place to stay (that I can afford).
Pretty much impossible I'm afraid. It was difficult to do a decade ago. Right now you have close to ZERO chance of landing a job without showing your face at interview first - unless its and internal transfer with a large multinational (which as far I can gather from your post is not going to be your situation).

I'd say the only chance you have is getting on a plane, finding cheap shared accommodation and hitting the recruitment process hard making it clear that you have no particular geographical ties and hope you find something before the cash runs out! Thats exactly what I did 12 years ago on a WHV - it took me 3 days to find work and I still havent left Brisbane!

Good luck
Old May 5th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t be shocked, WHV are pretty much always instant. It’s the Permanent and sponsored Visas that can take forever.

My personal opinion, I’d say Sydney, personally I think it’s nicer too. That's what I'd pick out of those two, but as the above poster said, also look at other places, like Brisbane or Gold Coast... although not sure what work would be like.

Probably not, even more so because you are coming on what is really a “Backpacker Visa”, sometimes it can be even hard to get a decent job once here as you are only allowed to work for one company for a max of 6 months, so it can put employers off. But in saying that, I honestly don’t think you’d have a problem finding a job once you get here – the thing then would be (if you plan on staying for good) you’d have to try get your employer to sponsor you.

Good luck anyway, and start packing
Old May 5th 2010, 7:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

As a WHV I'd say virtually impossible to get a job in IT before arriving.

Also, how much experience do you have, given you're only 18? As has been mentioned on the WHV you'll only be able to apply for short term contract roles, and generally I'd expect that you'd need to be able to demonstrate solid skills in whatever it is you do as no company is likely to invest in training etc under the circumstances.

Really the only way to do it is to come over and arrange things here - I wouldn't bank on finding IT work though...to be honest I'd think it quite unlikely.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:52 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

You've got very little chance mate with picking jobs here mate. We have the highest amount of working holiday visas and getting any job here is hard.

Finding a job in Sydney or Melbourne is just is hard as London in many sectors including IT. I know some young brits even recently who were applying at fast food restuarants as no work existed.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Gotta hit the ground running - see recruitment agents once you're here and dont be picky. Jobs are not as plentiful as they once were and wont be as well paid as you might expect. Check www.seek.com.au for some idea - but as a WHV holder you'll struggle over 'real' locals unless its a short term contract role.
Recruiters won't touch anyone while on a WHV unless they're only looking for short term contract stuff and have very strong experience.

Last edited by Deancm; May 5th 2010 at 8:59 am.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by canadaeh
My personal opinion, I’d say Sydney, personally I think it’s nicer too. That's what I'd pick out of those two, but as the above poster said, also look at other places, like Brisbane or Gold Coast... although not sure what work would be like.
There's more IT work in Melbourne and for a 19 year old, he'll have a hell of a lot more fun.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
Really the only way to do it is to come over and arrange things here - I wouldn't bank on finding IT work though...to be honest I'd think it quite unlikely.
Ditto! More likely bar or fruit picking work.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:01 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I do know someone in Sydney who got an IT job on a WHV but they had 8 years of experience behind them.

If your interested in IT work then Perth is your only option.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Weebie
I do know someone in Sydney who got an IT job on a WHV but they had 8 years of experience behind them.

If your interested in IT work then Perth is your only option.
What are you talking about? There's bugger all IT work in Perth right now. Besides, I wouldn't wish going to Perth on anyone unless they want to be bored senseless in 5 minutes.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:25 am
Banned

Well there ya go obviously you know more than me on it. But essentially Perths economy is ok and Sydneys economy is absolutely stuffed so on the face of it you woudl think Perth has more. Obviosuly not though hehehe.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Weebie
Well there ya go obviously you know more than me on it. But essentially Perths economy is ok and Sydneys economy is absolutely stuffed so on the face of it you woudl think Perth has more. Obviosuly not though hehehe.
Perth is tiny in comparison to Sydney. The bigger the city, the more opportunities there are and even though Sydney is stuffed, there is still a fair bit of IT work there.

Right now, Melbourne has the strongest economy in the country and is leading the way with jobs.

Irrespective, a 19 year old on a WHV is going to struggle to find programming work anywhere in Australia.
Old May 5th 2010, 10:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Right now, Melbourne has the strongest economy in the country and is leading the way with jobs.
Apparently so:

State's recovery surge to save jobs

Victoria created nearly 100,000 jobs over the past year, including 92 per cent of all new full-time jobs in Australia.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Perth!
Old May 5th 2010, 11:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
I don't know what you do for a living but in engineering this is not the case. Demand for engineering skills in Perth is starting to boom again.

Perth is one of the best places in the world for my skills and definitely the best in Australia - always has been, always will be.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Wibble Wobble is an unknown quantity at this point

OP here.

@DadAgain - Yes, I really want sunny! After living in Britain for most of my life, I need somewhere nice. Will troll sites like www.seek.com.au . Your story gives me hope!

@bcworld - I have about 5 years experience. I started learning while in school, did year at university, and had one job in the industry. I'm hoping this will help me convince companies to hire me. I also have some income from my various web properties (but it isn't enough to live on without a job, yet).

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on which city in best. If I don't get a job offer in a specific city, Sydney/Melbourne is probably where I'll go because as said above, more people = more companies = more opportunities.

Starting a company before flying over could be an option, because if it does well enough I would be a bit safer money-wise. Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.