British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   I just dont know where or if i should be looking at this stage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/i-just-dont-know-where-if-i-should-looking-stage-544740/)

Simo429 Jun 23rd 2008 3:12 pm

I just dont know where or if i should be looking at this stage

To give you a bit of background my girlfriend and I are at a very early stage of looking. This has been the plan for about 6 months now and although ive done a bit or maybe more than a bit of searching this site I feel that most of it isn't really directed.

The first part of our plan has fell into place ive got in on for a PGCE in notts next year. So in 2 years we can start to make progress however I was wondering if people who were once in my position can just tell me where to look at at this point.

tasmas Jun 23rd 2008 3:31 pm

Re: I just dont know where or if i should be looking at this stage

Originally Posted by Simo429 (Post 6495383)
To give you a bit of background my girlfriend and I are at a very early stage of looking. This has been the plan for about 6 months now and although ive done a bit or maybe more than a bit of searching this site I feel that most of it isn't really directed.

The first part of our plan has fell into place ive got in on for a PGCE in notts next year. So in 2 years we can start to make progress however I was wondering if people who were once in my position can just tell me where to look at at this point.

Hi
Welcome to the site!!! My husband has the PGCE. When we consulted an agent we were told unfortunately unless you carry on and gain further certificates, it doesn't really cut the mustard to get you into Oz. So I'm getting a student visa, and when we get over there we will get his qualifications checked at the local TAFE to see what recognition of prior learning brings up. Depends really on how long you want to take to get there. Me, I wanna be there now!!!
tracy:thumbsup:

Simo429 Jun 23rd 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by tasmas (Post 6495429)
Hi
Welcome to the site!!! My husband has the PGCE. When we consulted an agent we were told unfortunately unless you carry on and gain further certificates, it doesn't really cut the mustard to get you into Oz. So I'm getting a student visa, and when we get over there we will get his qualifications checked at the local TAFE to see what recognition of prior learning brings up. Depends really on how long you want to take to get there. Me, I wanna be there now!!!

really my current research hasnt said anything about this

i best continue to look then

hereshoping Jun 23rd 2008 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Simo429 (Post 6495433)
really my current research hasnt said anything about this

i best continue to look then

It depends what your PGCE is in. PGCE for post compulsory education might not be enough to get you in, and if you haven't done a 3 year degree before then you'd have problems too.

However if you'll have a 3 year degree and a PGCE in secondary or primary education you should be fine. My husband and I got in no problems with PGCE. You can get your skills assessment done straight after PGCE as you don't need work experience for that. Contact teaching australia to sort this out.

You only need 12 months experience to apply for the visa.

quoll Jun 23rd 2008 10:28 pm

You will stand a better chance of getting a teaching job if you go for secondary teaching, especially Maths or Science. Also, see if you can add another string to your bow and do something like special ed or behaviour management (autism is flavour of the month here so something that deals with that specifically would be good). Then, once you get here, dont expect to walk into a plum job in a "nice" area - the vacancies tend to be in the hard to fill places so think rural, remote or western suburbs (inner city with all the hassles:eek:) and in some states you have to do your time in them before you get the bayside middle class areas. Perhaps less of an issue with the HS Maths/Science though. Also to your advantage will be that you will be a "cheaper" option than someone with years and years of experience.

Stella340 Jun 24th 2008 1:56 am

Originally Posted by tasmas (Post 6495429)
Hi

Hi there!

My husband and I both have PGCE (both Primary) and we got our skills assessments and PR Visas based on this no problem. And this even though my husband has a primary PGCE and taught in Middle Schools he got a Skills Assessment cleared for teaching Secondary from NOOSR.

I haven't started teaching yet (been too lazy :rofl:) but I've been slowly sorting out my registration and Queensland Teaching Council registered me with a 3 year degree and PGCE no problem and I'm just doing my final stage of the Qld Govt registration for job placement / relief teaching.

PGCE = no problems here :thumbsup:

But yes, don't think that you will necessarily be able to 'choose' where to teach. You tend to get 'placed' into a vacancy here which can be in the middle of nowhere. On the Qld Govt forms you are required to select areas that you are willing to teach / move to and tick a box to say that if offered a job you will be able to relocate. They also specify that if you limit your location choices then you WILL limit your chance of being offered a permanent job.

Of course there's always the independent schools to apply to instead.

At this point in your emigration process, I'd be researching states that you want to live in (remember teaching could be ANYWHERE within that state) and saving your pennies (lots of them ;))

Good luck, it's an exciting time!

Simo429 Jun 24th 2008 5:54 am

well some good news there

my PGCE is in biology, everywhere seems to be short of science teachers

hereshoping Jun 24th 2008 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Simo429 (Post 6497523)
well some good news there

my PGCE is in biology, everywhere seems to be short of science teachers

well, as with the UK they are really short of Physics teachers rather than Biology- but general science is in demand.

What is your undergrad degree in?

Where are you planning on heading? In some state you get placed, but in other you apply directly to the school just like in the UK.

moneypenny20 Jun 24th 2008 9:50 am

No idea about the qualifications but I'd definitely start keeping proof of relationship stuff for the spouse side of things.

Simo429 Jun 24th 2008 11:41 am

Originally Posted by hereshoping (Post 6497750)
well, as with the UK they are really short of Physics teachers rather than Biology- but general science is in demand.

What is your undergrad degree in?

Where are you planning on heading? In some state you get placed, but in other you apply directly to the school just like in the UK.

were planning on heading where ever really

hereshoping Jun 24th 2008 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Simo429 (Post 6498316)
were planning on heading where ever really

ah a lovely place I hear.

What is your undergrad degree in? this will determine if your skills assessment is positive so it's probably best to check this before you get too far into the process. If it's something like Biological Sciences you'll be fine.

Simo429 Jun 24th 2008 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by hereshoping (Post 6498621)
ah a lovely place I hear.

What is your undergrad degree in? this will determine if your skills assessment is positive so it's probably best to check this before you get too far into the process. If it's something like Biological Sciences you'll be fine.

my undergrad degree is in biochemistry.

my partner works with the criminally insane so it will be more moving somewhere fro here than for me. kids need teaching everywhere but you dont find mass murderers all over the shop

hereshoping Jun 24th 2008 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Simo429 (Post 6498764)
my undergrad degree is in biochemistry.

my partner works with the criminally insane so it will be more moving somewhere fro here than for me. kids need teaching everywhere but you dont find mass murderers all over the shop

With Biochem you'll be fine for the skills assesement. You will probably need to provide the relevant state with a breakdown of your studies when you come to register to teach and show them how much Biology/ Chemistry it acutally contains.

Good Luck, I'll be teaching Biology out in Melboure from August so if you have any more queeries I'll be happy to answer them

Simo429 Jun 24th 2008 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by hereshoping (Post 6499075)
With Biochem you'll be fine for the skills assesement. You will probably need to provide the relevant state with a breakdown of your studies when you come to register to teach and show them how much Biology/ Chemistry it acutally contains.

Good Luck, I'll be teaching Biology out in Melboure from August so if you have any more queeries I'll be happy to answer them

thanks you've been really helpful

just want to get through my pgce and nqt and start really preparing

i suppose a lot can change though

where abouts in melbourne are you off too?

hereshoping Jun 24th 2008 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Simo429 (Post 6499119)
thanks you've been really helpful

just want to get through my pgce and nqt and start really preparing

i suppose a lot can change though

where abouts in melbourne are you off too?

No problem, lots of people helped me when I was starting out. We're heading to melbourne's inner west suburbs (Moonee Ponds to start with)