Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I hope you understand..

I hope you understand..

Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of
Default I hope you understand..

Hi everyone,I hope you are all well.Just a quick question (to the blokes I think more than the ladies)

Im a bit fed up with the price I been offered for me motor both on the Internet and at various garages around where I live....I've spent quite a bit on it ,to bring it up to a decent Trackday car (Subaru Impreza) so Ive been thinking of shipping it to Oz with us..so then we've got a motor over there to use and also it stops me from 'giving it away' to the s*!t offers I've had over here!...Does anybody know if this would be a complete waste of time and effort and would cost stupid money or should I just put it on the ever growing pile of money right off's that you seem to get when going through the whole moving thing?....let me know eh when you've got a sec? Ta! Simon.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:24 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hope you understand..

Originally Posted by SBUK
Hi everyone,I hope you are all well.Just a quick question (to the blokes I think more than the ladies)

Im a bit fed up with the price I been offered for me motor both on the Internet and at various garages around where I live....I've spent quite a bit on it ,to bring it up to a decent Trackday car (Subaru Impreza) so Ive been thinking of shipping it to Oz with us..so then we've got a motor over there to use and also it stops me from 'giving it away' to the s*!t offers I've had over here!...Does anybody know if this would be a complete waste of time and effort and would cost stupid money or should I just put it on the ever growing pile of money right off's that you seem to get when going through the whole moving thing?....let me know eh when you've got a sec? Ta! Simon.
The shipment part is about £1600 but the big cost is working out the import duty etc. Suggest you have alook at what price they are being sold at in Oz and work back - would have to say if the cost of importing = the cost you have to pay it may still be worthwhile - reason being once you have a car you trust and for the money you save on a initial rental. Plus there is an element of sentiment isnt there!!!.

Sorry for the jumble below (they relate to some workings when I was assessing taking my X5 - but basically you need to work on the basis of 15% of the customs value (thats the hard bit) then 10% gst on the combined cost of getting it there and the customs value. My transport costs were different because I had two cars and some other equipment. The luxury car tax comes in after valuations over $58K.

Customs Value 85,000
Customs Duty @ 15% 12,750
Plus International Transport and Insurance 4,667
VOTi 102,417
GST 10% 10,242
Luxury Car Tax Value 112,658
Luxury Car Tax 25% 13,074 55134
Total Cost 36,065
Exchange Rate 2.3
Cost in Sterling 15680.60455
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

:scared: I am a builder!! those figures have gone WWHHOOOSSSSHH right over me head kid!! thanks away but I think a company is needed to do all that for me...I'll do a search up top and see what pops up
Thanks again
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:35 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBUK
:scared: I am a builder!! those figures have gone WWHHOOOSSSSHH right over me head kid!! thanks away but I think a company is needed to do all that for me...I'll do a search up top and see what pops up
Thanks again
Sorry mate
It took me a while too and I deal with finance all the time.
Guess it comes down to a quick and dirty shipment cost £1600
Customs/GST etc add another 25% based on the equivalent cost in OZ.

What part of Oz you heading? Hope it does work out for you to take, especially if you have invested time in getting it just right.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi..thanks for the reply.we're heading up to Mooloolaba on the East Coast(we hope) I'm just checking through post's for containers and wondering if the companies that do them, might ship motors out ?