Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have too many questions!!

I have too many questions!!

Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all
Red face I have too many questions!!

We are looking to migrate to Sydney in August, we have our medicals booked for 17 March, how long does it normally take to get the final say so from the DIMIA after the medicals have been submitted?? Are we jumping the gun by trying to organise things this far ahead?? We have also sold our house so we are looking into shipping companies at the moment so any comments on this would be welcome

Another question I have is on schooling or pre-schools, we have two daughters aged 3 and 2 the eldest will be 4 in July and if we are still in the UK in September she will start full time education! At what age do children start school in Oz and what are the term times i.e when would she start school full time? Do they have pre-schools for my younger daughter to attend???

Please help I think my head may explode!!
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:33 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have too many questions!!

Originally Posted by Pink & Fluffy
We are looking to migrate to Sydney in August, we have our medicals booked for 17 March, how long does it normally take to get the final say so from the DIMIA after the medicals have been submitted?? Are we jumping the gun by trying to organise things this far ahead?? We have also sold our house so we are looking into shipping companies at the moment so any comments on this would be welcome

Another question I have is on schooling or pre-schools, we have two daughters aged 3 and 2 the eldest will be 4 in July and if we are still in the UK in September she will start full time education! At what age do children start school in Oz and what are the term times i.e when would she start school full time? Do they have pre-schools for my younger daughter to attend???

If your head is going to explode could you post this in the lounge and make the mess there instead ??

Shipping company - Phone PSS - they did us proud. There are lots of threads on that to search through.

After medicals are requested I think its usually about 4/6 weeks to notification I seem to recall but my memory is hazy on that.

As to kids - no idea. We have a dog. Much better as we can throw him outside when he's being bad and leave him there
Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
As to kids - no idea. We have a dog. Much better as we can throw him outside when he's being bad and leave him there

Do you mean you're NOT allowed to do that to the Kids ??

Ooops
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:03 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Our youngest daughter was 4 last July and she started school at the beginning of this year. Term one begins end of Jan / beginning of Feb. They have two weeks off over Easter, two weeks off "mid winter" and two weeks off beginning of October and of course long Christmas / Summer holidays. The school our girls attend has a policy of full days from day one but I don't know if this is common throughout all schools in Sydney.

Binbird
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all

Hello, thanks for the response, so what did your daughter do before going into full time education? Is there pre-school? Any ideas as to finding good schools for children? do they have similar to OFSTED reports over there??
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
If your head is going to explode could you post this in the lounge and make the mess there instead ??

Shipping company - Phone PSS - they did us proud. There are lots of threads on that to search through.

After medicals are requested I think its usually about 4/6 weeks to notification I seem to recall but my memory is hazy on that.

Thanks for the reply!

We have got PSS coming out and Eagle came to see us last night, it's nice to hear from people who have had good experiences with companies as it is sooooo daunting as your know!

Wow is that all 4/6 weeks it makes the prospect of moving in with my mother a bit more bearable
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:04 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Don't know the answer to first one sorry!

Do a search on here for shipping companies - lots are recommended. We used John Masons.

School year starts end Jan/Feb..kids have to turn 5 by end of July the year they start.