Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have seen the promised land

I have seen the promised land

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have seen the promised land

Hi all, i'm new to the oz forum as i'm usually found waffling away on the NZ forum.
Long story short. . . migrated to oz 17 years ago and REALLY REALLY hated it.
We had such a bad experiance that i said i would never return.
Stayed in the uk until last year when we got perminent residence to NZ and
made the move.
Things are going well and we are settling ok but i sometimes get the feeling that
somethings missing.
We decided to visit The Gold Coast and Brisbane for a holiday and i was blown away by what i saw.
Not just the touristy theme park stuff but the whole attitude and way of life.
It now looks like the place i was hoping it would be 17 years ago.
Unfortunately at 46 i believe i'm now to old to make the move officially but after 5 years in nz we can
get citizenship and that will allow us to move over and live in oz perminently if we still feel the same in a few years.
In the mean time we can make do with a couple of holidays a year and use them as extended reci trips.
I'm just a bit sad that its taken me this long to open my bloody eyes again.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice
Default Re: I have seen the promised land

Do you regert choosing NZ ?
What is the main thing that you did not see in OZ 17 years ago,
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

You are obviously not religious otherwise you would have realised there is only one Promised Land - St James' Park home to Newcastle United FC!! Bol
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shafanm
Do you regert choosing NZ ?
What is the main thing that you did not see in OZ 17 years ago,
I dont regret moving to NZ, its a beautiful place and life here is much less stressful than back in the uk.
My kids are happier and healthier and we have settled much quicker than we thought we would.

when we first migrated to oz 17 years ago the difference in cultures was huge.
Oz was so far behind the uk in so many ways it was very difficult to adapt.
I dont mean technologically behind, it was more the lack of goods and services available.
and also the poor social attitude that put us off.
I know some will say it still is but back then it was an extremely racist and masoganistic country.
A good way to describe the difference is to compare it to the TV programme Life on Mars
where the young cop in a coma in 2008 goes back to 1973.
We expected there to be a difference but the gap at that time was just big for us to adjust to.
Now it appears to have caught up and in some ways surpassed the lifestyle we had in the uk.
Outlooks have changed and the people we met were much more easy going than we had encountered before.

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 24th 2009 at 4:05 am.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
You are obviously not religious otherwise you would have realised there is only one Promised Land - St James' Park home to Newcastle United FC!! Bol
St James' park might as well be the promised land as their supporters are still wandering lost and misguided in the wilderness

Your need to get over to Mecca home to my beloved Red Devils and hometown team.
Manchester united
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by colandros
when we first migrated to oz 17 years ago the difference in cultures was huge.
Oz was so far behind the uk in so many ways it was very difficult to adapt.
I dont mean technologically behind, it was more the lack of goods and services available.
and also the poor social attitude that put us off.
I know some will say it still is but back then it was an extremely racist and masoganistic country.
Now it appears to have caught up and in some ways surpassed the lifestyle we had in the uk.
Outlooks have changed and the people we met were much more easy going than we had encountered before.
I agree - I first came to Brisbane in 1990 and it was like a shanty town, it's changed so much in the last 18 years I hardly recognise it though I've been living here for 12 years now.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by colandros
Your need to get over to Mecca home to my beloved Red Devils and hometown team.
Manchester united
When you do get to the Gold Coast, just under 1 hour north is the home of the Red Devils local footbal team

Redlands United

Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:27 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
The promised land is going to be relocated,to the championship