Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have no money no job but still moving to oz with family

I have no money no job but still moving to oz with family

Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

laurao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I have no money no job but still moving to oz with family

We have been waiting 5 years to go as I couldn't bare to leave my mum on her own. My daughters are 5 and 1 and we have no jobs to go to but also have no job here as I am an accountant who has always worked as an interim but for the first time in 10 years can get nothing. I figure that it is going to be no worse there than here trying to look for something so we are going to give it a go..not sure if we are doing the right thing but we don't want to put it off any longer..afterall I could wait here another year and lose all our savings whilst we wait for a recovery. Good luck to anyome else taking the plunge
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

LINZI32 is on a distinguished road

Its could all go pear shaped even if you had money .....so just good luck to everyone really !!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by laurao
We have been waiting 5 years to go as I couldn't bare to leave my mum on her own. My daughters are 5 and 1 and we have no jobs to go to but also have no job here as I am an accountant who has always worked as an interim but for the first time in 10 years can get nothing. I figure that it is going to be no worse there than here trying to look for something so we are going to give it a go..not sure if we are doing the right thing but we don't want to put it off any longer..afterall I could wait here another year and lose all our savings whilst we wait for a recovery. Good luck to anyome else taking the plunge
good luck to you, iv taken the plunge we fly in a week and a half, i have no job so for when i get there
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davidb1989
you COULD get run over tomorrow and die !!! thank about that
I hate people who use that - because the biggest probability is that you won't and what then? Poor and pissed off thats's what!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

its all well and good that some people have been lucky but lots havnt!

As a mother myself i wouldnt do that to my daughter!!, i couldnt uproot and unsettle her knowing it might not work and that we would be struggling and may have to return within a few months, i just couldnt do that to her.
Cant you or your husband come out alone and look for a job whilst the other stays home with the kids and then can join when job etc secured.
Where will you stay?, how long will the money last?

Me and my partner wasnt even going to migrate until march 09 but he was so fed up with his job he wanted us to go last october, there was no way i was taking our daughter with nowhere to stay whilst he didnt have a job secured, so we made the plan that he would go ahead and i would join him later. so he left october last year.

He got a job within 4 weeks, but i still didnt join him for 3 months (in jan this year) as i was staying with my parents in dubai and having a very nice time..lol, and also so he could save up whithout the expense of me and our daughter there, as i am known to spend as soon as i see money..lol

I hope it does work out and you are one of the lucky ones.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

If theres one thing the recession shows its that security is largely an illusion....I came out with nothing (though i still had my house in UK) I have a job, and now i have sold my house at a knock down price less than i would have got three years ago... bummer! but thats the way it goes.... you just can't tell...I say go for it if its what you feel is right... Many immigrants arrive with nothing but the clothes they stand up in and do ok...many have loads of cash and hate it....
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:57 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Many immigrants arrive with nothing but the clothes they stand up in and do ok...
Is this really true though, for people arriving today? I don't think it is.

I'd say that the vast majority will not do ok in the current climate.

There will be a minority who have sought after skills, and a few entrepreneurs who could sell sand to the saudis.... but most others will scrape by unfortunately.

Of course, only a few years ago, it was a very different story...
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taylor25
its all well and good that some people have been lucky but lots havnt!

As a mother myself i wouldnt do that to my daughter!!, i couldnt uproot and unsettle her knowing it might not work and that we would be struggling and may have to return within a few months, i just couldnt do that to her.
Cant you or your husband come out alone and look for a job whilst the other stays home with the kids and then can join when job etc secured.
Where will you stay?, how long will the money last?

Me and my partner wasnt even going to migrate until march 09 but he was so fed up with his job he wanted us to go last october, there was no way i was taking our daughter with nowhere to stay whilst he didnt have a job secured, so we made the plan that he would go ahead and i would join him later. so he left october last year.

He got a job within 4 weeks, but i still didnt join him for 3 months (in jan this year) as i was staying with my parents in dubai and having a very nice time..lol, and also so he could save up whithout the expense of me and our daughter there, as i am known to spend as soon as i see money..lol

I hope it does work out and you are one of the lucky ones.
I don't really understand the reasoning. For all the measures you've taken, it could still go totally pearshaped. Obviously it made it easier in both mind and spirit for you but there's no guarantee however anyone goes about it.

Don't mean that it will go pearshaped for you and obviously I wouldn't want it to, just making a point. Many families don't want to be separated for that length of time and would rather go through the experience as a family unit. Your husband was obviously very lucky to find the job he wanted in four weeks, but it could have taken four months - no way would I want to be separated from my husband for nearly a year.

As I said before we're all different - thankfully.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Its horses for courses really.each to their own and that ,but me personally wouldnt leave a steady job in the Uk to come to Aus in this present climate.Good luck to those that are game to though.
donna
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't really understand the reasoning. For all the measures you've taken, it could still go totally pearshaped. Obviously it made it easier in both mind and spirit for you but there's no guarantee however anyone goes about it.

Don't mean that it will go pearshaped for you and obviously I wouldn't want it to, just making a point. Many families don't want to be separated for that length of time and would rather go through the experience as a family unit. Your husband was obviously very lucky to find the job he wanted in four weeks, but it could have taken four months - no way would I want to be separated from my husband for nearly a year.

As I said before we're all different - thankfully.
Exactly it could of taken him 4 months, which is exactly the reason i didnt take my daughter, for us to waste all our savings. If we had all gone we would of had to stay somewhere nice that i felt was appropirate for my daughter, (so a long term rental) i would be doing living as normal getting all the usual shopping and luxuries etc, whilst partner looking for job our money would of dwindled to nothing ....my partner was living in janitor sized room cupboard and lived on beans, ..there was no way in hell i was doing that when i could be sitting round the pool in dubai..lol

This way he secured a job and saved money for our arrival (and i can assure you in about 5 days the money he saved was spent by me!!lol)

If i had gone out and he couldnt get a job after 4 months i would of had to uproot my daughter again, from school etc and go back to dubai!! would of been a waste of time.

i spend 3 months stints away from my partner regularly as like going to dubai to see my family and it works for us, infact i would say it makes our relationship better as then he appreciates me more when i come back, this is normal to us, my mum spends long periods away from my dad as she used to come to us in uk all the time, she goes away with lots of friends, so its something i grew up with.

Also we had lived in oz before for a year on a WHV, so had alot of knowledge from that, know we loved, know our way round sydney as spent most of our time there.

To be honest i dont see how it could really go pearshaped?! my partner has a secure job, we knew the place before we came and most importantly i have my parents, who will give us anything we want financially so cant really lose!

None of us want anybody to fail, were all just trying to help eachother by giving our opinions and what worked for us individually, oviously not everyone is going to be the same.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:51 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Taylor your migration story is probably one of the easiest I have ever heard.

You obivously are very lucky in your circumstances and have used them well. Best of luck in Oz.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zambia
Taylor your migration story is probably one of the easiest I have ever heard.

You obivously are very lucky in your circumstances and have used them well. Best of luck in Oz.

haha i wish, it was extremley stressful and cost a fortune, due to going with a dodgy agent!!!! inc meds, certified docs, visa and all extras, we paid around 6 grand!! (this did not include flights)and the agents were still trying to get more out of us!!! very stressful

That was down to my partner jumping in head first without even checking things out, this happened with evrything he did along the way to be honest and i pretty much did evrything that needed doing and had to deal with all his hash ups!! (picking the most expensive place i have heard of on here for meds, we paid 900 pounds for 2 adults and a 3 year old, stat declarations had my daughters surname down as his, when she has my surname as we are not married, so had to be redone, i had to write all his cv,s, work experience etc as he just wasnt adding enough, i think i could of done his job better by the end of it..lol, he thought it didnt matter that his passport valid due to it being expired, so had to obviously get a new one and redo all forms and re schedule meds as he had no passport.)and breathe..........- so maybe thats why i followed him 3 months later.. lol

Seriously dont think its 'easy' for anyone, there will always be some stress or cock up along the way..lol
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:36 am
Just Joined

laurao is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately I am the bread winner and as a mum there is no way I am leaving my kids in the UK for one night without me. I see it as an adventure that we will do together as a family. My kids have camped in the desert in jordan and backpacked around the world and certainly never notice if they have to rough it fora while in a tent or caravan. I think Kids are very adaptable and the morethey can experience the better. It is an easier for us as I am not working here right now so we have less to give up in terms of security. Each to there own but I think it all depends on whether you can tolerate risk and laugh in adversity! good luck to everyone whatever they decide
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eugene43
Are people for real when I read moving to oz with family but have no money all spent on flights & moving costs no job but hey rather be skint in the sun than in the cold uk. Are people mad or is it I play it to safe because I have spent the last two years planning for nearly everything.
I must admit in principle i do agree with you,but in these times this kind of post does nothing but knock confidence of people who have just arrived and are struggling