Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have to get 8 bankers cheques for my settlement

I have to get 8 bankers cheques for my settlement

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:45 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have to get 8 bankers cheques for my settlement

I have to get one for the estate agents that are selling it and I'm gobsmacked to find out I have to get one for the vendors bank to pay what he owes them.

So I have to pay for all these cheques i thought that was what I was paying the conveyncer for
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:56 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I have to get 8 bankers cheques for my settlement

So I have to pay for all these cheques i thought that was what I was paying the conveyncer for [/QUOTE]

Why would you think that ?

Not sure about Vic, but in Qld the number of bank cheque the buyer has to provide is limited, the remainder of cheques to agent, sellers solicitor being solicitors trust cheques. Obviously the cheques to the seller and his mortgagee need to be bank cheques.

Usually your bank will provide a certain number of the cheques free if you are getting finance. If on the other hand you are cashed up...

Last edited by Del Boy; Nov 2nd 2005 at 12:59 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:59 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
So I have to pay for all these cheques i thought that was what I was paying the conveyncer for

Not sure about Vic, but in Qld the number of bank cheque the buyer has to provide is limited, the remainder of cheques to agent, sellers solicitor being solicitors trust cheques. Obviously the cheques to the seller and his mortgagee need to be bank cheques.[/QUOTE]

Why would I think that?

Well in the uk the money goes to the solicitor who then divvys it up.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:02 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: I have to get 8 bankers cheques for my settlement

Originally Posted by fraser

Not sure about Vic, but in Qld the number of bank cheque the buyer has to provide is limited, the remainder of cheques to agent, sellers solicitor being solicitors trust cheques. Obviously the cheques to the seller and his mortgagee need to be bank cheques.
Why would I think that?

Well in the uk the money goes to the solicitor who then divvys it up.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough...are bank cheques required in the UK ? if so, someone has to pay for them (anything from 6 - 10 dollars each here and it seems the whole country runs on bank cheques)...welcome to Australia
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 2:33 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

When bought our place in WA the Settlement Agent paid for everything all that kind of stuff out and gave us an invoice at the end so that we could pay the shortfall.

Sharon
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:08 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

I have to get one for the estate agents that are selling it and I'm gobsmacked to find out I have to get one for the vendors bank to pay what he owes them.

Hey fraser, my lovely! Glad to see it is still going so smoothly for you, lol.
We have now been hear three weeks and loving it. Couldn't say we were off as I had no pc or phone, lol.
Hope all is well.
Sarah
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by teach
Hey fraser, my lovely! Glad to see it is still going so smoothly for you, lol.
We have now been hear three weeks and loving it. Couldn't say we were off as I had no pc or phone, lol.
Hope all is well.
Sarah
Glad to hear you're enjoying it
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

We settle next Thurs and our conveyancer is paying for everything out of the $7000 first home grant. She'll then give us the balance.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:39 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Snap! Best one was when my personal cheque (cost $1) for the deposit was turned down by the bllody agents and I had to get a bank cheque (cost $8!).

BUT beat the $0.41 interest I got on my $2k rental bond after 2 years!

Dinky
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

That's odd. We just paid the one cheque to the settlement agent.

Poor you
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - when I settled on the land I bought all I did was arrange for 1 bank cheque to the conveyancers trust account and he sorted it all out. Seems very wierd.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:37 am

Cheque #1 The vendor
Cheque #2 the council
Cheque #3 Water board
Cheque #4 The vendors mortgage balance
Cheque #5 The estate agents commision
Cheque #6 The conveyencer
Cheque #7 stamp duty
Cheque #8 land registration

Now surely cheques 4 & 5 are the vendors responsability
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:37 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cheque #1 The vendor
Cheque #2 the council
Cheque #3 Water board
Cheque #4 The vendors mortgage balance
Cheque #5 The estate agents commision
Cheque #6 The conveyencer
Cheque #7 stamp duty
Cheque #8 land registration

Now surely cheques 4 & 5 are the vendors responsability
Weird. Even if under the Oz system it is your responsibility to make these 8 payments, I can't believe they use *cheques* for them. Have the Oz banks not heard of telegraphic transfer?

Gina
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Weird. Even if under the Oz system it is your responsibility to make these 8 payments, I can't believe they use *cheques* for them. Have the Oz banks not heard of telegraphic transfer?

Gina
I know I thought I'd transfer my money to my solicitor and that she'd transfer accordingly.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

Aren't you exempt from stamp duty as a first time Aussie buyer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.