Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have a dilemma about UK visit

I have a dilemma about UK visit

Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have a dilemma about UK visit

We've been here a year and I am feeling the need to go back to the uk for a visit next year. Mum has been earlier this year but is missing me and young kids a lot and can't come back for a couple of years. Dad can't come and there are a few others I'd like to see. In-laws not a prob as they are coming again early in new year.

My dilemma - go alone or with 3 kids 4,6,8yrs?

Obviously cheaper alone but never left the kids more than overnight so not sure that 12,000 miles is quite the logical next step or how I'd feel once there. And part of the reason is cos Mum misses them so much and this move was my choice not hers. The cost and the thought of managing my 3 lively(!) boys alone on the flights OH doesn't feel the need and has limited hols so will be staying put here.

Any views that may help me decide?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have a dilemma about UK visit

Originally Posted by Safin
We've been here a year and I am feeling the need to go back to the uk for a visit next year. Mum has been earlier this year but is missing me and young kids a lot and can't come back for a couple of years. Dad can't come and there are a few others I'd like to see. In-laws not a prob as they are coming again early in new year.

My dilemma - go alone or with 3 kids 4,6,8yrs?

Obviously cheaper alone but never left the kids more than overnight so not sure that 12,000 miles is quite the logical next step or how I'd feel once there. And part of the reason is cos Mum misses them so much and this move was my choice not hers. The cost and the thought of managing my 3 lively(!) boys alone on the flights OH doesn't feel the need and has limited hols so will be staying put here.

Any views that may help me decide?
You'll be fine. I took my two girls over alone when they were 4 & 6 and it was no problem (not like when they are toddlers .. grrrr!). Best to go now while they are young as once they hit 12 like my eldest has now, they are full fare! It is pricey at any age though. Plus, your mum will be able to babysit and you can go and revisit old friends and have a night out or two
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go and take the kids - I only had the two kids but took them by myself many times without any hassle. If you catch the Qantas site today you might get two for the price of one as well!

Having just heard the yearning in the voice of my mum who is never likely to see her gt granddaughter who lives here with her somewhat impoverished parents whose green ethics could never countenance an international plane ride, I say do everything you can to ameliorate the pain for those who are most severely impacted by your decision.

Another thing you could think of is to send one of the kids home for a holiday with the aged rellies on their own. My eldest went on his own at 9 and never looked back.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:58 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I would take the kids too. Your mum is missing them and it would be ashame for the kids to miss out seeing their gran.
It will be a holiday for them too, catch up with the rellies will be great for you all.
Have fun.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:37 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take the kids... you'll all have a smashing time.. the flight will prob not be as bad as you imagine either..

You'll have a great time.. wish I was going back.. I am missing Blighty quite a lot a the moment (well.. missing the people there, you know what I mean)..

Em x
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

Still haven't reached a decision but had a good chat (and cry) to OH last night about it. At least now I feel I will do something. I've been in touch with rellies asking them to say for sure if/when they plan to visit and I'll work my decision around them. Its a peoplesick feeling thats been building for a while now. I just hope i don't always feel this bad about it. We've been stuck on dial up too (til next week) so no skype etc so thats made it harder.

Maybe I need to make this first visit back to get over the hurdle so to speak. Knowing I can do it in future may make it less necessary - you always want what you think you can't have.