Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have a cunning plan...(UK Passport renewal)

I have a cunning plan...(UK Passport renewal)

Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:04 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have a cunning plan...(UK Passport renewal)

well not so much cunning as a bit better than shelling out hundreds of dollars here!

I'm going back to the UK for 10 days in Sept/Oct and my UK passport is due to expire in Nov 09. So, as I have an Aussie passport my plan is this;

1. Leave Aus using Aus passport
2. Enter UK on Uk passport (shorter queue and no hassles)
3. Send off UK passport in UK using Mum's address and pay a much smaller fee
4. (a) Either get passport back in time (unlikely) before I leave the UK or (b) get Mum to send/bring it over once it arrives
5. Assuming (b), Check in at London Heathrow and leave UK on Aus passport (because no one looks at it except the airline)
6. Enter Aus on Aus passport.

Any holes in my plan?

PS. I got some GBP cash this morning - it's all new! When did that happen?! I admit i haven't been back since Feb 06 but the money all looks and feels weird - the 20 quid notes are smaller too.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I have a cunning plan...(UK Passport renewal)

mmm... not sure it will work mate, its all on computer and when you try to get back into Oz it will look like you never arrived! might raise eyebrows!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
mmm... not sure it will work mate, its all on computer and when you try to get back into Oz it will look like you never arrived! might raise eyebrows!
As an Australian citizen he has to leave and enter the country on his Aus Passport. On entering the UK you can use either although it's quicker to use the UK one. We leave Aus on Aus passports, enter UK on UK passports, then leave UK and enter Aus on Aus passport. Totally acceptable.

Sounds like a very workable plan to me. Shame we've not got a trip back planned for next year, I've got three UK passports to renew.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:26 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

As long as I leave and re-enter Aus on the same passport (Aus) there shouldn't be an issue. If they ask when I re-enter where I've been I'll just tell them the truth - I doubt they'll care that I'm trying to save a couple of hundred dollars from the UK passport agency!

I'll see how it goes!

Any ideas on the 'new' currency?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:39 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
As long as I leave and re-enter Aus on the same passport (Aus) there shouldn't be an issue. If they ask when I re-enter where I've been I'll just tell them the truth - I doubt they'll care that I'm trying to save a couple of hundred dollars from the UK passport agency!

I'll see how it goes!

Any ideas on the 'new' currency?
You shouldn't have any issues at all. Personally I find the Non EU passport queue shorter than the EU ones at LHR, but depends on the flight arrivals at the time.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Ok! good on yer then!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

only problem might be having to sign for passport when it arrives at your mums....
http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/p...your-passport/
Old Aug 11th 2009, 2:51 am
Addicted to browsing BE

Hmm, interesting point. However, I think my Mum should be able to sign for it - and she also has 'Power of Attorney' over my affairs in the UK (scary I know but I trust her!) so she should be ok to do it.

Really, really don't want to fork out the extra to get it done here. Major rip off.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bithbheo
only problem might be having to sign for passport when it arrives at your mums....
http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/p...your-passport/

I think this was raised as a hurdle in a similar thread. I think it will come down to whether the passport has to be signed for on delivery as having been delivered (By anyone in the household) or whether it has to be signed for exclusively by the applicant.

We really need a reliable 'test case' to see how it goes. I will probably try it when I get my UK passport renewed, but that won't be until next year now.

Hmm, interesting point. However, I think my Mum should be able to sign for it - and she also has 'Power of Attorney' over my affairs in the UK (scary I know but I trust her!) so she should be ok to do it.

Really, really don't want to fork out the extra to get it done here. Major rip off.
I would have thought that a Power of Attorney would have given your mum the right to sign for it, though if it's to be signed for exclusively by the applicant, I don't fancy your chances of explaining that legal technicality to the courier/postie...

Yes, it is a major rip off. And I have also noticed that the Consular Exchange Rate bares no relation to the actual exchange rates. Recently, the $ has increased in value against the £, yet the Consular Exchange Rate moved in the opposite direction, making it even more expensive

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Aug 11th 2009 at 3:33 am.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

You could ofcourse take a trip to the passport office? costs more and you have to wait, but you get it same day? might still be cheaper?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

You can definitely do this, I have. I leave and enter Aus on my Aus passport. I enter the UK on my UK passport and I leave on my Aus passport. I have to, as there is nothing in my UK passport which says I have any right to visit Australia (no visa). I tried to leave UK on UK passport to go to Aus as I thought I had to leave the country on the same passport I entered on, and they stopped me somewhere along the line and asked where my visa for Aus was.

Same doesn't work with Australia, you have to leave on your Aus passport. I tried it by mistake on my UK passport once and they almost pulled me aside to ask how on earth I was in their country, till I whipped out my Aussie passport in the nick of time once the raised eyebrows started
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it has changed in the last 18 months then someone else can sign for your passport. Not sure what they would do for childrens passports otherwise lol.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

According to the Passport website www.direct.gov.uk, £72 standard adult renewal fee, £97 fast track & £114 one day premium.

Using the latter, you can get it done while you are there.

From the other replies, your travel arrangements shouldn't be a problem.

TD
Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Last year while back in UK on holiday, we were going to renew our British passport(out of date 10 years).Found out we would have to apply as 1st passport and didn't have the time to do it then.(3 weeks).Spoke to someone at passport and asked if mil could send it to Australia.Needless to say got a dressing down as we could be terrorist etc!!! ffs.Right enough dh looks dodgy due to his number 1 haircut,and is stocky

Sorry but i hope someone can answer this,can we use our old/out of date passport to gain entry to UK when we move back this year? and then apply for one when we are ready? This will save us having to renew our passports,trip to paris or somewhere.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

jimmie2807 will become famous soon enoughjimmie2807 will become famous soon enough

well not so much cunning as a bit better than shelling out hundreds of dollars here!

I'm going back to the UK for 10 days in Sept/Oct and my UK passport is due to expire in Nov 09. So, as I have an Aussie passport my plan is this;

1. Leave Aus using Aus passport
2. Enter UK on Uk passport (shorter queue and no hassles)
3. Send off UK passport in UK using Mum's address and pay a much smaller fee
4. (a) Either get passport back in time (unlikely) before I leave the UK or (b) get Mum to send/bring it over once it arrives
5. Assuming (b), Check in at London Heathrow and leave UK on Aus passport (because no one looks at it except the airline)
6. Enter Aus on Aus passport.

Any holes in my plan?

PS. I got some GBP cash this morning - it's all new! When did that happen?! I admit i haven't been back since Feb 06 but the money all looks and feels weird - the 20 quid notes are smaller too.

I waited nearly 2 hours on my UK passport last week whilst non-eu went straight through. Can't wait to get an Aus one to fly through this end lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.