Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have a BIG worry about Australia & that is...

Wikiposts

I have a BIG worry about Australia & that is...

Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

jon1297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have a BIG worry about Australia & that is...

Im GONNA like it far to much

Im 30 and have up until im 31 next year to get a working holiday visa for a year.

The thought of pulling a fast one on a UK winter in exchange for a LUSH hot location, with great beaches etc etc is very appealing.

I have jsut sold my business - after I was paying to much of any money made to VAT or as I call it the VAMPIRE ABDUCTION TAX and now have a choice of moving to elsewhere in the UK and being cold and sensible and get a 'proper' job, going to somewhere closer to home ie spain OR

going to Australia, I dont own a home, no kids etc so I could up sticks easily.

However the problem is..

Having lived with Aussies in London, and stayed in Cape Town for three months in a similar outdoorsy climate I know its 99.99% certain Im going to love OZ, and I will want to stay, but I dont want to live on the other side of the planet away from family etc. Also, If I go for a year, I know what im like Im a bit of a wheeler dealer and will have 101 ideas of how to make my fortune down under!! :scared: so wont want to return to the UK until ive gave it a try.

Then lets say i go for a year, and I read that if in that first year you do 3 months harvest work you can get another 12 months added to your visa I then say loved you Oz but must depart, then what I arrive back in the UK age 32-33 having spent my bit of money i made after clearing my debts on the sale of my biz, a million miles of buying a shoebox flat and back to square 1. Perhaps it might be easier if I dont go and just go there on a 3 week holiday with a girlfriend and have a shoebox flat to return to, like a sensible person. Dear Oz Agony Aunts do you have some advice for me, im all fizzed up like a can of fosters in a kangaroo pouch!!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have a BIG worry about Australia & that is...

You sound like my gran.

You are analysing it too much. Just do it & see where you end up. You're only 30 for heavens sake.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You sound like my gran.

You are analysing it too much. Just do it & see where you end up. You're only 30 for heavens sake.

ROFL! Absolutely cracking advice. Can't add much to that apart from stop worrying, you'll prob meet some fabulous Aussie girl and get hitched here, then you can have the best of both worlds, both here and in the UK.

You'll be fine.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:57 pm
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jon1297
Im GONNA like it far to much

Im 30 and have up until im 31 next year to get a working holiday visa for a year.

The thought of pulling a fast one on a UK winter in exchange for a LUSH hot location, with great beaches etc etc is very appealing.

I have jsut sold my business - after I was paying to much of any money made to VAT or as I call it the VAMPIRE ABDUCTION TAX and now have a choice of moving to elsewhere in the UK and being cold and sensible and get a 'proper' job, going to somewhere closer to home ie spain OR

going to Australia, I dont own a home, no kids etc so I could up sticks easily.

However the problem is..

Having lived with Aussies in London, and stayed in Cape Town for three months in a similar outdoorsy climate I know its 99.99% certain Im going to love OZ, and I will want to stay, but I dont want to live on the other side of the planet away from family etc. Also, If I go for a year, I know what im like Im a bit of a wheeler dealer and will have 101 ideas of how to make my fortune down under!! :scared: so wont want to return to the UK until ive gave it a try.

Then lets say i go for a year, and I read that if in that first year you do 3 months harvest work you can get another 12 months added to your visa I then say loved you Oz but must depart, then what I arrive back in the UK age 32-33 having spent my bit of money i made after clearing my debts on the sale of my biz, a million miles of buying a shoebox flat and back to square 1. Perhaps it might be easier if I dont go and just go there on a 3 week holiday with a girlfriend and have a shoebox flat to return to, like a sensible person. Dear Oz Agony Aunts do you have some advice for me, im all fizzed up like a can of fosters in a kangaroo pouch!!!!!
Just do it! Who knows, you might end up marrying an Ozzy girl and you can stay!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:16 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by iPom
you'll prob meet some fabulous Aussie girl and get hitched here
Originally Posted by SJR
you might end up marrying an Ozzy girl
It's not compulsory to marry the first sheila you meet though.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
He might prefer Bruce anyway
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:45 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge

I think it's still the law that once you have tried three you must marry one of them though.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:47 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jayr
I think it's still the law that once you have tried three you must marry one of them though.
heck, what will I tell the wife?