Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have been bitten lots....by what?????

I have been bitten lots....by what?????

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice
Default I have been bitten lots....by what?????

Hi

I wonder if any of you can tell me what the hell is biting me all the time.
Every morning I am waking up with yet more all over me but its also happening during the day.

This morning I have 3 new huge red painful itchy spots on the back of my neck, yesterday I got 3 on my uper arm while we were out (and mainly in the car!), night before I got covered on my back and hips.
In fact the only thing not bitten so far is my face but I guess that wont be left alone eventually.

I have only ever got bites like this when in the Med and at that time it was mosquitos.
I know you get mozzies in Oz but aren't they seasonal and I didnt think it was 'their time' at the mo.

If not mozzies then what the hell are they? And what can I do about it?

Any help greatly appreciated

Incidently they dont seem to be biting the kids or the other half!!!! Grrrrrr

Jackie
x
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have been bitten lots....by what?????

Mozzies are rife at the moment!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at your location. They are particularly bad around that area right now, especially Mandurah.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunbather
Just looked at your location. They are particularly bad around that area right now, especially Mandurah.
Oh ok well at least now I know.

Can you recommend anything to discourage them?

Jackie
x
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just lots of Aeroguard, mozzie candles while outside in the back garden, long clothes

Buy yourself an Aloe plant. Best thing I ever did. Once bitten cut a leaf off the plant then smear the juice over the bites. The sooner smeared the better. Or there is a little green zapper thing that you can buy in Kmart in Rocky city round near the cosmetics. You put it straight on the bite at press about ten times and the electric shock neutralises the bite.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:46 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

My little boy woke up with little red spots and got more every day. We found out that our kitten - (who was sleeping on his pillow at night) had a little black dot under his chin....and the next day had hundreds of little black dots all over him. They were baby ticks and he had been sleeping during the day in a nest! A quick bath in a tick shampoo solution solved it and my childs spots cleared up a few days later!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
My little boy woke up with little red spots and got more every day. We found out that our kitten - (who was sleeping on his pillow at night) had a little black dot under his chin....and the next day had hundreds of little black dots all over him. They were baby ticks and he had been sleeping during the day in a nest! A quick bath in a tick shampoo solution solved it and my childs spots cleared up a few days later!
YUK!!!

You let a cat sleep in bed with you!!!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tabbiespice
Hi

Every morning I am waking up with yet more all over me but its also happening during the day.

This morning I have 3 new huge red painful itchy spots on the back of my neck, yesterday I got 3 on my uper arm while we were out (and mainly in the car!), night before I got covered on my back and hips.
In fact the only thing not bitten so far is my face but I guess that wont be left alone eventually.

I have only ever got bites like this when in the Med and at that time it was mosquitos.
I know you get mozzies in Oz but aren't they seasonal and I didnt think it was 'their time' at the mo.

Jackie
x

Hi Jackie,

I completely sympathise!! I am being eaten alive too!! One of my bites became septic ( I hate that word, it even sounds yellow doesnt it!) and has given me a blood infection!! I use spray, candles but found the best relief from stop itch plus cream. I got it in the chemists and it has menthol in it which cools that ANNOYING itch!!

Sarah
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:50 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justsarah
YUK!!!

You let a cat sleep in bed with you!!!!!!
Nah - wouldn't let our cat - but our kitten is so cute and fluffy and little! Aw come on.......you would too, I bet!
Attached Thumbnails I have been bitten lots....by what?????-dsc_0056.jpg   I have been bitten lots....by what?????-dsc_0079.jpg   I have been bitten lots....by what?????-dsc_0005.jpg  

Last edited by wholeworldwindow; Mar 23rd 2008 at 1:58 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

WWW - Thanks for that but can I say "euuuwww" to the ticks. We dont have animals due to an extreme allergy by my other half so ticks are not a problem.
I have to say also that I am glad you saw the ticks as soon as you did because infestations of ticks or fleas in young animals can kill them.

Sarah - a fellow sufferer As the other half is also allergic to anything highly perfumed or chemically then we may have to try a mosquito net instead. I may get some of that cream though as the itch is annoying and if you scratch too much you can introduce secondary infection as you found out. I hope you are better now.

Does it stop or can I expect to be continually bitten for the rest of my life?

Also is there any risk of disease from the bites or the mozzies (apart from infection through scratching)??

Jackie
xxx
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:42 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

When you live up where we live, you get used to bugs and things. Luckily - they were not Paralysis Ticks, but still glad I discovered what they were quickly. A small price to pay for paradise I think. I was arracnophobic in UK, still don't like em - but cope fine if they are outside. Inside - my 9 year old is my hero!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Also is there any risk of disease from the bites or the mozzies (apart from infection through scratching)??
Yes, Ross River Virus http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ma...srossriver.htm
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

mossies around here are pretty bad at the minute, they are seasonal - spring through to autumn

Then there are the sandflies that bite too:curse:

If you venture outside, spray yourself all over with aeroguard, even over your clothes as they will bite through lighter clothing. Inside we use Raid, if you have any doors or windows open with no flyscreen at any time they will get in, they generally will sit on the ceiling or buzz around (more often than not silently) so you need to spray - a quick spritz works brilliantly. Check your bedroom at night too before sleep as if there is one in there it will have a field day by morning.

I did have a problem once getting bitten at night but no mossies were around and it turned out the sand flies had built a nest in a bathroom bin that hadn't been emptied - now all bins are emptied weekly minimum !!

You do get used to doing all the above and, when the mossies are particularly bad, tend to stay inside
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Dab white vinegar on the mossie bite to stop the itching. We also got hold of some mosiguard spray which seems to keep them away. Can be used on babies from 3 months onwards. A healthier alternative to some of the other chemical sprays.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Jackie
x
ants are also on the attack at the mo

also get some plug ins get from supermarket like the ones that you buy when you went to med
have them in bed rooms and main living rooms really helps

also try tiger balm or monkey balm
it really helps to stop the itch

a tip i picked up from a lady boy in thailand !!!

Originally Posted by sunbather
Just lots of Aeroguard, mozzie candles while outside in the back garden, long clothes

Buy yourself an Aloe plant. Best thing I ever did. Once bitten cut a leaf off the plant then smear the juice over the bites. The sooner smeared the better. Or there is a little green zapper thing that you can buy in Kmart in Rocky city round near the cosmetics. You put it straight on the bite at press about ten times and the electric shock neutralises the bite.
aloe is a brilliant plant!!!

nasty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.