British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   I hate payroll mistakes!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/i-hate-payroll-mistakes-492794/)

NewOZ Nov 9th 2007 10:16 am

I hate payroll mistakes!!!

Yes, who doesn't
this is my first week at my new job and when I get my salary, it has about $120 extra tax!!!

damn, its friday, i have to wait till monday to find why Tax office got $120 extra?!!

did you have any payroll mistakes?!

Pollyana Nov 9th 2007 10:38 am

Re: I hate payroll mistakes!!!

Originally Posted by NewOZ (Post 5532834)
Yes, who doesn't
this is my first week at my new job and when I get my salary, it has about $120 extra tax!!!

damn, its friday, i have to wait till monday to find why Tax office got $120 extra?!!

I've had only half my pay in each of my last three payments. Ring payroll each time and complain, and they then pay me the rest a day late. One girl in my office has had to do that every fortnight for the last 3 months. Every fortnight we get promised that its fixed, and every fortnight we end up short again.

wmoore Nov 9th 2007 11:14 am

Originally Posted by NewOZ (Post 5532834)
Yes, who doesn't

Have you given them your TFN? If not they are obliged to withhold tax at the top rate.

comet555 Nov 9th 2007 11:16 am

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 5533039)
Have you given them your TFN? If not they are obliged to withhold tax at the top rate.

That could be it.

My husband has only had one mistake so far, but that was when they were switching computer systems.

NewOZ Nov 9th 2007 10:55 pm

may you please give me more details about that??

bcworld Nov 10th 2007 12:59 am

Originally Posted by NewOZ (Post 5535541)

Have you applied for a Tax File Number and then given it to your company's payroll department? This is the equivalent of a National Insurance number in the UK. If you have started a new job you will have almost certainly been asked to supply one. If you haven't you will be paying extra tax.

wmoore Nov 10th 2007 1:17 am

Originally Posted by NewOZ (Post 5535541)

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5535826)
Have you applied for a Tax File Number and then given it to your company's payroll department? This is the equivalent of a National Insurance number in the UK. If you have started a new job you will have almost certainly been asked to supply one. If you haven't you will be paying extra tax.

What bcworld said :)

The Bloke Nov 10th 2007 3:52 am

The good news is that if that is the case, they'll get it back at the end of the financial year, when they lodge their tax return.
Hopefully!!

walaj Nov 10th 2007 6:59 am

the last time a mistake made for OH it was a substantial overpayment - unfortunately had to inform them, but they were ever so grateful - not!

wmoore Nov 10th 2007 9:25 am

Originally Posted by walaj (Post 5536352)
the last time a mistake made for OH it was a substantial overpayment - unfortunately had to inform them, but they were ever so grateful - not!

I got $800 'rent rebate' in my bank account the other day, from a company I've never paid rent to. What to do, what to do ........