Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I hate frocking Telstra!

I hate frocking Telstra!

Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:43 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of
Default Re: I hate frocking Telstra!

Whatever you do, don't turn to TPG!!

If Telstra is bad, they are a complete disaster!!

We have had an impossible time getting out of our contract with them, even though we have only had an (extremely slow) internet service for about one and a half months of the last year.

Instead of actually fixing anything we get daily calls from a grossly incompetent Indian call centre.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I would think that getting out of your contract to be very difficult. No ISP can be held to their advertised maximum download speeeds - sucks doesn't it. You do have recourse if the maximum speed you get is below something like 512kbps (don't quote me on that). The call centre will have suggested that you check your settings and physical environment. If you are on a wired connection it would also be useful to use high speed lan cable like cat5e or cat6.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:15 am
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SNH
Whatever you do, don't turn to TPG!!

If Telstra is bad, they are a complete disaster!!

We have had an impossible time getting out of our contract with them, even though we have only had an (extremely slow) internet service for about one and a half months of the last year.

Instead of actually fixing anything we get daily calls from a grossly incompetent Indian call centre.
Not as bad as DODO but I see they're on the list:

http://apcmag.com/named_and_shamed_t...about_isps.htm

Don't know your circumstances but sounds like they are not providing the service you've contracted and paid for?

You might want to do a search on here:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=90

Have you tried the TIO? - it'll cost them money if you do!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 12:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
or just $4.95pm if you dont want to pay $19.95 (see my above post)
I had a look at that one, https://www.mynetfone.com.au/residen...-plan-choices/
But couldn't see it..

I saw the one for $14.95 pm with 100 free calls (inc 30 international), but that wouldn't do what I need.
Their $9.95 pm one also does 100 free calls but no International calls.

Can you point me in the right direction for the $4.95 one, as that does sound a much better price

Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:46 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I had a look at that one, https://www.mynetfone.com.au/residen...-plan-choices/
But couldn't see it..

I saw the one for $14.95 pm with 100 free calls (inc 30 international), but that wouldn't do what I need.
Their $9.95 pm one also does 100 free calls but no International calls.

Can you point me in the right direction for the $4.95 one, as that does sound a much better price
https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/...neosaver-plan/

'un-advertised' plan - you need to quote your a member name of 'whirlpool.net.au' forums to get access - but since that a 'no-cost' 'no-spam' registration its really no drama....
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/...neosaver-plan/

'un-advertised' plan - you need to quote your a member name of 'whirlpool.net.au' forums to get access - but since that a 'no-cost' 'no-spam' registration its really no drama....
Thanks, that's a good deal

Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Thanks, that's a good deal
It does look a good deal

I'm currently comparing it to Pennytel's:

http://www.pennytel.com/pennytel_compare.html
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed at the trouble people have with Telstra we have been with them forever and have never had a problem. Always get to speak to someone always get my problems fixed. They come out quickly. Last time I phoned in the morning and someone came in the afternoon. Now the trick I have everything with Telstra even Foxtel wonder if it makes a difference.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:44 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I moved house and they failed to turn up loads of times to make the connection. Was without service for a few weeks over Christmas and New Year.

They sent me a temporary service (handset with mobile connection) but didnt set it up propelry so could call out but not receive calls.

On finally fixing everything they applied the wrong rate of compensation and denied that the published compensation rates existed.

I persisted and got hundreds of dollars back.

They are arguably one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. When you call them they pass you trhough up to 6 people, none ever tells the other why you are calling so you go through all again each time then typically get dumped on some random internal Telstra number.

They completely suck. ANd yes I have Fox, broadband and landline with them. I would change but I'd lose the e-mail address I have used for 6 years.

Originally Posted by Petals
I am amazed at the trouble people have with Telstra we have been with them forever and have never had a problem. Always get to speak to someone always get my problems fixed. They come out quickly. Last time I phoned in the morning and someone came in the afternoon. Now the trick I have everything with Telstra even Foxtel wonder if it makes a difference.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:49 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I see Virgin Media in the UK are now doing 50mb broad band now, and the price. Telstra needs to wake up.:curse:
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lenmil
I see Virgin Media in the UK are now doing 50mb broad band now, and the price. Telstra needs to wake up.:curse:
Only if you live in a Virgin Media cable area.

To give everyone cable in Australia would be a very big job, we need a much larger population to spread the cost between. 50+ million would be a start, like in the UK.

Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:56 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Yes out house is in their area and cable. Still though, the thought of those speeds compared to my 256.

:curse::curse:
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Further to my OP I went to the T(H)elstra shop today (grrrrrr) and found out the bill was for one of the stuff ups that they did when they tried to connect us...the bill was for the connection to a number they connected to us for one day! (then disconnected us and connected us again)

Anyway after 25 minutes in the shop they waived the fee but told me I would still have to pay the $2.00 phone bill on the bill. Hey.....Telstra know how to treat customers don't they...especially pissed off customers.....
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only had two dealings with Telstra. First one just after we moved, hubby rang to get details of having our phone with them and a few days later we got a bill Hubby phoned them and told them to get lost we were going with iinet They apologised and sent another letter cancelling the first and apologising again.

Second time was a few weeks ago, we had a crap line, rang iinet who then got on to Telstra who fixed it a day or so later. Been reasonable with us but I still wouldn't sign any sort of contract with them.

Mind you, we never had a single issue with NTL either, thought they were brilliant
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Yes out house is in their area and cable. Still though, the thought of those speeds compared to my 256.

:curse::curse:
Ah, 256k, well, yes ... I know someone who only has 256 and I hate doing anything on their computer. They just upgraded to 512k, but I did suggest going to at least 1,500k, even if they didn't want the 8Mb speed.