Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I hate frocking Telstra!

I hate frocking Telstra!

Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:41 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I hate frocking Telstra!

After lots of pain (nearly 3 weeks of c0ck ups by Telstra) we now have a telephone line. We cancelled the internet as things just got too stressful trying to deal with them.

We now have our first bill. Less than $2.00 for calls and $61 dollars for "other charges".

I have now spent almost 30 minutes trying to get through to a person on the Telstra number....nothing!

How do I find out what they are trying to charge us for and how do I get to speak to someone. This is driving me crazy. The "service" is CRAP.:curse:
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:52 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: I hate frocking Telstra!

Couple of points:

MINIMIZE your dealings with Telstra - it always makes you feel better

There are a few ways of doing this once you'decided you need internet:

1) VOIP!!!!! mynetfone charge $5 a month for free untimed calls WORLDWIDE
- yes you need to by a POTS-SIP converter for about $50 - but thats well worth it and pays for itself in no time. There are other VOIP providers (including most ISPs) but there arent many who's deals are that good!! (Thats an unadvertised plan by the way - ask me for more details if you want)

2) Go ADSL and either a) Naked DSL from Internode so you dont need a telstra line at all or b) Get a cheap DSL plan (i.e. TPG, iiNet) and then keep pestering Telstra until you get changed to the "Homeline Budget" line rental for $20 a month. Once you 've done that you need never deal with telstra ever again. If you go naked DSL you can avoid Telstra altogether....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
After lots of pain (nearly 3 weeks of c0ck ups by Telstra) we now have a telephone line. We cancelled the internet as things just got too stressful trying to deal with them.

We now have our first bill. Less than $2.00 for calls and $61 dollars for "other charges".

I have now spent almost 30 minutes trying to get through to a person on the Telstra number....nothing!

How do I find out what they are trying to charge us for and how do I get to speak to someone. This is driving me crazy. The "service" is CRAP.:curse:

Tell me about it. As of today, we have severed all ties with Telstra. We are just going to make do with Skype and our mobiles. We have also broken our Bigpond contract with them as well, was intially told we would be charged $120 to end the contract early, but now they are saying it will be $230!!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a few nightmare encounters with telstra after a few moves and this time around decided to not go with them again.

Instead I got a Naked adsl2 internet service from iinet. This is the same as a normal internet connection it just means you dont need a phone line installing first, as long as there are sockets on the wall so a previous owner / tenet has had a connection before you can get Naked adsl installed.

So what this means is you dont have to pay and line rental or bills with telstra.

The only downside is of course you dont have a phone line, so I use skype through the computer with a cheap headset to make local calls very cheaply. It can also be used for calling the UK at good cheap rates.

So it means I never have to deal with telstra again ! hooorayy
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dave99
So what this means is you dont have to pay and line rental or bills with telstra.

The only downside is of course you dont have a phone line, so I use skype through the computer with a cheap headset to make local calls very cheaply. It can also be used for calling the UK at good cheap rates.

So it means I never have to deal with telstra again ! hooorayy
If you have naked DSL, you could add a VOIP system that gives you a Phone Number and free calls all over Australia, and to the UK, for $19.95 pm

Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

I must be unique in that I've always had good service and support from Telstra in relation to their phone and mobile service.

But it's their arrogance and the way they prey on Joe Public with their ridiculous internet data quotas and associated pricing that leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Optus are beyond belief.

They changed our plan ( to one double the price :curse: ) without asking us, reason after 18 phone calls to India, hello fred, john, mike, bruce from Mumbai, turns out they claim we changed our address, address and dont qualify for that plan, even the Optus manager up here confirmed there was no wrong address, just the same one on the drivers licence they have copy of:curse:

That was Februray, do you think its sorted out, total rip off. When we finally got someone who appeared to be in Melbourne she said we have thousands of customers with the same problem then never got back to us.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

When I arrived here last year I used a prepaid Vodafone card and when that ran out switched to a Telstra card. Big mistake. I wanted it because they offer data. On switching on my mobile it received an sms saying something like "thank you for subscribing to ... will be charged $x.xx". I immediately rang Telstra and after a LONG wait spoke to someone who thought I must have subscribed. I pointed out that the card had just been activated which they could check online and that I had made no calls which they could also check. This went on for several minutes and eventually they conceded to refund the charge but just this one time!
Ha and then a few days later it happened again. So I marched into my nearest Telstra shop (because their telephone support sucks) and could I get any of the three staff to understand the problem? You're right - no. I then suggested that they ring through to the telephone customer support. They had to wait too - he he he. The person on the other end checked the system and agreed to refund the sms charges.
I couldn't wait to use up all the card's credit and switch to another network.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:18 am
Banned

The Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really nice

I hate them - I hate them - I hate them

I would laugh aloud if they went down the pan - which wont happen OC

please join me (and invite the rest of the world) to disconnected from Telstra all on the same day next year!

here
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

SNAP - been there, seen it and got the T'shirt ...........

They must be the worst company I have ever dealt with and as for customer service..... what is it and where do you get it! Because no one that I ever spoke to has been any good.

I ordered big pond wifi, what do I get sent asdl, phoned them back, 3 weeks later received the kit and a bill for $ 480.00 What the bl00dy hell say's I. Nearly 50 minutes on the phone trying to sort it all out. I had to pay the bill to stay connected and I am still waiting on a refund........

So STAY CLEAR.

LA
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I think telstra is just like BT used to be 20 years ago before they started to get a bit better.
I guess its like a lot of things in australia...20 years behind.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli

Known locally as Hellstra :curse:

We have a Telstra Prepaid Homephone - $13.90/month line rental + standard call charges

$30 topup lasts 1.5 to 2 months as we don't use it much - making mainly local calls @ 20c a pop

Use '3' prepaid wireless broadband at $29/2GB/month or $149/12GB/12months + Skype. Works well in Melbourne (3109)

Mobiles are with ISIM prepaid at 39c/min with no flagfall and per sec billing also 15c/SMS - not for long chats but ideal for us as we make lots of short calls & texts. Spend $10/phone every 1.5 to 2 months

In rental so not keen on contracts. As they are all prepaid no billing hassles ever and we have full control over our spending with no surprises
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave99
I think telstra is just like BT used to be 20 years ago before they started to get a bit better.
I guess its like a lot of things in australia...20 years behind.
Spot on.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Broadband my arse !...all the speed of a slug with a hangover.

They even cocked up the national broadband application- LOL.

Last edited by mindblower; Dec 15th 2008 at 2:25 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:45 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you have naked DSL, you could add a VOIP system that gives you a Phone Number and free calls all over Australia, and to the UK, for $19.95 pm

or just $4.95pm if you dont want to pay $19.95 (see my above post)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.