Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I got flashed by a police Vito van BUT from the front

I got flashed by a police Vito van BUT from the front

Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:15 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got flashed by a police Vito van BUT from the front

Originally Posted by steve`o
mmm from the qld police web site
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/program...fringement.htm

sneaky buggers arent they

3. I DID NOT SEE THE SPEED CAMERA AS THE POLICE OFFICER WAS HIDING.
This is not a reason for exceeding the posted speed limit. It is not the policy of the Queensland Police Service to deliberately conceal speed cameras at this time. Authorised operators of these devices are instructed in the correct set up and operating procedures.
While the philosophy of the speed camera program is based on general deterrence using marked speed camera vehicles, it would not be appropriate for drivers who are exceeding the speed limit to have prior warning of a speed camera and thus avoid detection.
Successful traffic policing relies upon a mixture of general deterrence (to encourage drivers to comply with traffic laws) and specific deterrence (the penalising of those drivers who refuse to obey traffic laws). The Queensland Police Service recognises that there is a need to strike a balance between the two types of deterrence.

4. THE SPEED CAMERA VAN WAS PARKED ILLEGALLY.
Section 144 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 extends exculpatory provisions to police officers who are required to breach the provisions of the Traffic Act whilst exercising a power of performing a function under that act or any other act. Section 307 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Road Rules) Regulation 1999 provides further exculpation to police and emergency vehicles which are required to be stopped or parked in circumstances which would normally constitute a breach of the regulations.
The provisions of the Workplace Health and Safety Act surrounding the safety and welfare of police officers as well as members of the community should always be taken into account when operating such equipment. Authorised Speed Camera Operators receive extensive training in the correct set up and operating procedures for the use of the equipment.
Therefore, by virtue of the provisions of the law, Speed Camera Vehicles may be parked on the footpath, centre islands, side of the road or in ‘no stopping’ areas.

Indeed they are. I don't really take issue with them being parked on a verge, or even hiding, but I still think it's really dangerous to go flashing photographic flashes at oncoming motorists, particularly at night when it may take your night vision a bit of time to recover.

Forward facing speed cameras should be IR, not light on the visible spectrum.

S
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
mmm from the qld police web site

3. I DID NOT SEE THE SPEED CAMERA AS THE POLICE OFFICER WAS HIDING.
This is not a reason for exceeding the posted speed limit. It is not the policy of the Queensland Police Service to deliberately conceal speed cameras at this time. Authorised operators of these devices are instructed in the correct set up and operating procedures.
While the philosophy of the speed camera program is based on general deterrence using marked speed camera vehicles, it would not be appropriate for drivers who are exceeding the speed limit to have prior warning of a speed camera and thus avoid detection.
Successful traffic policing relies upon a mixture of general deterrence (to encourage drivers to comply with traffic laws) and specific deterrence (the penalising of those drivers who refuse to obey traffic laws). The Queensland Police Service recognises that there is a need to strike a balance between the two types of deterrence.

4. THE SPEED CAMERA VAN WAS PARKED ILLEGALLY.
Section 144 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 extends exculpatory provisions to police officers who are required to breach the provisions of the Traffic Act whilst exercising a power of performing a function under that act or any other act. Section 307 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Road Rules) Regulation 1999 provides further exculpation to police and emergency vehicles which are required to be stopped or parked in circumstances which would normally constitute a breach of the regulations.
The provisions of the Workplace Health and Safety Act surrounding the safety and welfare of police officers as well as members of the community should always be taken into account when operating such equipment. Authorised Speed Camera Operators receive extensive training in the correct set up and operating procedures for the use of the equipment.
Therefore, by virtue of the provisions of the law, Speed Camera Vehicles may be parked on the footpath, centre islands, side of the road or in ‘no stopping’ areas.
I always get a chuckle from a loon idea I had once:

We had cars parked on the sides of very straight 80k single-lane roads and often the camera is out in front of the car literally in front of it with a cable - (although this seems to have been outmoded now)

I would love to pull up infront sharpish and run over the camera, either forwards, or reversing backwards into it.

"Need a jumpstart mate?" would be the opening line.

When the bloke protests, I could add,
"Mate I'm from the local fire station and I often have to come to the aid of stricken motorists in this location - right here. I'm here before someone calls in 000. If you're OK, I suggest you need to move on incase you cause an incident."

"What - your camera - what the hell did you leave expensive equipment on the road for?!! Not very sensible now is it? Speed camera - well if you are in disguise and unmarked how the heck are we supposed to know.. "

I really don't think they could prove anything untoward.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

If you don't have cruise control, watch your speedometer to make sure you abide by the law....so much safer than driving safely
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Chief1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought I'd lighten the subject by telling a story (it may be an urban myth but still funny).

A guy was driving his car when he spotted a car at the side of the road.

As he passed the car a bright flash went off and he knew he had just been caught at a speed trap. "Hang on a second" he said, "I don't think I was speeding". He decided to drive past the van again and see what would happen. As he approached the van, he checked his speed and made sure he was under the speed limit.

FLASH.

Miffed, he said he'd better go back and check that the speed limit had not changed. It hadn't but as he passed the van again...

FLASH.

Furious, he turned around and pulled up behind the van. He got out and started banging insanely on the van untill the cop got out.

"What do u want?" said the cop.

Seething now the man said, "I drove past u 10 mins ago and u flashed me, I wasn't even speeding, I went back and u flashed me again tho I was going slower, I went back again and u flashed me. What the F**k do u think ur doing?"

Well, said the cop..........

" The first time u were wearing no seatbelt, the second time u were wearing no seatbelt, the third time u were still wearing no seat belt. No P**S OFF!!!"

Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:51 pm
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=steve`o;6617650]mmm from the qld police web site

sneaky, Ive only one thought
A C A B
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chief1980
I thought I'd lighten the subject by telling a story (it may be an urban myth but still funny).

A guy was driving his car when he spotted a car at the side of the road.

As he passed the car a bright flash went off and he knew he had just been caught at a speed trap. "Hang on a second" he said, "I don't think I was speeding". He decided to drive past the van again and see what would happen. As he approached the van, he checked his speed and made sure he was under the speed limit.

FLASH.

Miffed, he said he'd better go back and check that the speed limit had not changed. It hadn't but as he passed the van again...

FLASH.

Furious, he turned around and pulled up behind the van. He got out and started banging insanely on the van untill the cop got out.

"What do u want?" said the cop.

Seething now the man said, "I drove past u 10 mins ago and u flashed me, I wasn't even speeding, I went back and u flashed me again tho I was going slower, I went back again and u flashed me. What the F**k do u think ur doing?"

Well, said the cop..........

" The first time u were wearing no seatbelt, the second time u were wearing no seatbelt, the third time u were still wearing no seat belt. No P**S OFF!!!"

Reminds me of a story about an elderly lady who, during the course of one day, managed to pick up 12 points (UK), and therefore a ban, by driving too quickly past a newly installed speed camera on route to taking her dog for a walk.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I got my first speeding fine in Brisbane on the Western Freeway as it arrives at the Mt Cootha roundabout. I was wrong to be over the speed limit but then if I was fined everytime that I was speeding I would have to get a second job.

I disagree with the placement of these "fixed" speed camera vehicles. They are placed at strategic locations to guarantee good revenue but do little to reduce accidents because those locations are not known black spots.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
I got my first speeding fine in Brisbane on the Western Freeway as it arrives at the Mt Cootha roundabout. I was wrong to be over the speed limit but then if I was fined everytime that I was speeding I would have to get a second job.

I disagree with the placement of these "fixed" speed camera vehicles. They are placed at strategic locations to guarantee good revenue but do little to reduce accidents because those locations are not known black spots.
Eggfrigginzackery.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pat14 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everybody,
Just saw this post and i have a queston for you all. Back at the end of June we were in NSW on holiday and we think we got flashed by a static camera doing 100kph in an 80kph zone. Any ideas how long fine takes to come through and what sort of cost we could be looking at
Cheers Pat
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:43 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pat14
Hi Everybody,
Just saw this post and i have a queston for you all. Back at the end of June we were in NSW on holiday and we think we got flashed by a static camera doing 100kph in an 80kph zone. Any ideas how long fine takes to come through and what sort of cost we could be looking at
Cheers Pat
Apparently, it should only take a couple of weeks on average to get the fine in the post so perhaps you got away with it or perhaps they don't have your correct address?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

The other day I approached a speed camera van on the side of the Sunshine Motorway near Mooloolaba. Thankfully I was not speeding but as I passed I happened to notice he had his sign "speed camera in use" positioned 2 feet in front of his van, i.e. after you had gone passed. I thought to myself then that was a bit cheeky.
My thoughts are they are just out to get you. Queensland Transport are no better. Could not believe you had to pay duty on a second hand car when you register it. Pay rego on a trailer or boat - what's that all about? Pay to renew you licence every 5 years, just all one big money making exercise.
I don't know if anyone saw this weeks episode of The Force. Showed a copper literally hiding behind park cars to catch motorists who did not quite stop at a stop sign. He happily dished out $200+ fines. I wonder if he has ever met a real criminal. I think I know who are the real crooks.
My message to the Australian police - go earn some respect, go catch a proper criminal
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Queensland Police were known for being particularly corrupt especially at higher management levels just two decades ago. These days you have to wonder if that corruption still exists in the "Force" or the State Government.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:04 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
The other day I approached a speed camera van on the side of the Sunshine Motorway near Mooloolaba. Thankfully I was not speeding but as I passed I happened to notice he had his sign "speed camera in use" positioned 2 feet in front of his van, i.e. after you had gone passed. I thought to myself then that was a bit cheeky.
My thoughts are they are just out to get you. Queensland Transport are no better. Could not believe you had to pay duty on a second hand car when you register it. Pay rego on a trailer or boat - what's that all about? Pay to renew you licence every 5 years, just all one big money making exercise.
I don't know if anyone saw this weeks episode of The Force. Showed a copper literally hiding behind park cars to catch motorists who did not quite stop at a stop sign. He happily dished out $200+ fines. I wonder if he has ever met a real criminal. I think I know who are the real crooks.
My message to the Australian police - go earn some respect, go catch a proper criminal
What is the point of a STOP sign? Why can't a give-way suffice?

If you can see that there is obviously NO traffic approaching from either left or right then WHY do you have to STOP regardless? *sigh*
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
What is the point of a STOP sign? Why can't a give-way suffice?

If you can see that there is obviously NO traffic approaching from either left or right then WHY do you have to STOP regardless? *sigh*
So they can fine you of course!

Not the first time I have heard of this. Seems to be another nice little earner of the police. Have a friend who got caught in Cairns by our nice boys in blue hiding around the corner.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
Showed a copper literally hiding behind park cars to catch motorists who did not quite stop at a stop sign. He happily dished out $200+ fines.
I've witnessed exactly this, two coppers in tandem; one to stop the 'offending' vehicle, the other just writing out tickets for his colleague to complete with vehicle details etc. Couldn't write them quick enough. They'd pulled a car over in front of me, let me pass, then pulled over the car behind. Unbefrigginlievable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.