Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

was "I gooooot ittttttt..." interesting story

was "I gooooot ittttttt..." interesting story

Old May 8th 2003, 2:52 pm
Badge

Default was "I gooooot ittttttt..." interesting story

hey
thought i'd tell the group of my interesting little story as I now have the relief of receiving my visa. didn't like to talk about it before..

I got back from Australia quite recently. I went out there on a working holiday visa and loved Aus, not for the weather or the lifestyle - but for the people. Coming back here and hearing all the 'whiny', tense, and 'working class/middle class' accents was such a shock, seeing noone smile, everyone being so caught up in their own little lives.. Australians seem so 'normal' by comparison. (Am i the only person with this view?!)

I don't know why people like PB can't get on - it seems to me they are too "English" and will never get on in a place like Australia ..anyhow..

...when i went thorough immigration on my departure, I was told I had overstayed my visa by 9 months as I had entered on a 3 month visitor's visa. Shock, horror!!

I thought back to when my passport was checked by an airline officer enroute in Dubai into Australia. He told me that the working holiday visa had "not been issued" - although I knew it was in my passport.

Although I asked exactly what the problem was, after tapping away on his PC he said it was "fixed". Job done, I thought.

Sydney migration banned me from Australia for 3 years- and i'd just applied for PR!!!

Clearly the official in Dubai had no idea that I had a Working Holiday Visa in my passport at all. He didn't pick it up because the number in my passport does not match the WHV number - it is an error by the people that granted the WHV.

I took my passport to the Australian High Commission, and left it there. A phone call from a staffer confirmed the following:

a) bans *don't* effect visa applications and only apply to entry on *temporary* visas. (PHEW!)

b) In the meantime, in the event I want another temporay visa, for example, a 6 month tourist visa, then I will have to apply and then I will be considered if there are compelling reasons in Australia's interest.

as you can imagine despite the advice I was very worried that I would be rejected!! Make sure you check all visa numbers match your passport numbers!!!

Incidentally I am worried that the computer will make an alarm noise when i enter - and I hope i wont be kicked out, PR visa or no PR visa!!!!

badgers

Old May 8th 2003, 3:05 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I definatly agree about the people.

When my wife went out there for the first time (together), we stayed with her parents in a small town called Mount Gambier.

Now....we had been there a few weeks when i realized i had left the cord for my digital camera at home in the uk.

PANIC !! I had no way of gettin the photos off of the camera, which is a bit limiting. So we poped into the local (read small) electronics store and told them about the problem, asking about the price of a new cable. It was $99 !! The guy behind the desk then produced the shops own one, and said i could borrow it until mine arrived by post from the uk !

I know that this kind of thing would'nt happen all the time, but it just about sums up how i was treated during that 8 months in oz.

I loved it.

Pete.

Last edited by PeteY; May 8th 2003 at 3:13 pm.
Old May 8th 2003, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: was "I gooooot ittttttt..." interesting story

I got back from Australia quite recently. I went out there on a working holiday visa and loved Aus, not for the weather or the lifestyle - but for the people. Coming back here and hearing all the 'whiny', tense, and 'working class/middle class' accents was such a shock, seeing noone smile, everyone being so caught up in their own little lives.. Australians seem so 'normal' by comparison. (Am i the only person with this view?!)

badgers [/QUOTE]

Interesting story and well done on the visa!!

I know what you mean by the people in Aus. We've just come back from there - hubby had a WHV 20 years ago but I had never been before. My lasting impression will be the friendliness of the people. Everywhere we went people were genuinely interested in why we were there, what we'd been doing etc. We stopped in a cafe in the Perth Hills and got chatting to a chap who was eating his lunch. Before we knew it he was telling us about a mate of his who could offer hubby a job and offering all sorts of help about where to live, what schools were any good etc etc. This was not an isolated example - it happened frequently. If you speak to a "stranger" here in the UK people think you're weird!!

Nicola
Old May 8th 2003, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done Badger i shall double check numbers and such.

footie chick
Old May 8th 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We found the people really friendly as well. We were out walking by Kings Beach in Caloundra ( it's a hard life!) and we got talking to a couple who were a good 20 yrs older than us. They ended up inviting us to go sailing on their boat the next day! and to visit their boat club!!

The people seemed open and friendly, I am looking forward to making many Aussie mates when we get out there.