Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I gave up my job today !!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave up my job today !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 4:29 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default I gave up my job today !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my armoured suit on ready for the attack.

After 8 days of the worst training I've ever had in my life, me and 11 others were put into the call centre to answer incoming calls from customers.

The calls were every conceivable question you could possibly ask about a telephone service, mobile, land line, bigpond or foxtel.

To cut a long story short, I felt the training was below average and inadiquate for any of us to answer questions on behalf of this major telephone company! In the first week of going on the phones two people left. I voiced my concerns and a meeting was held on how to improve the training we recieved.

Some of the 'managers' that were supposed to help during our first few days would huff and puff when we called them over to help. How unprofessional and unhelpfull they were. I held out for another week but after discussions with hubby over the weekend I felt I couldn't go back.

The thought of going back made me feel ill, I have never in all my life hated a job so much as I hated this. I don't dislike talking to customers either on the phone or face to face but with lack of training and thrown in literally at the deep end I found this an impossible environment to work in.

So just think about all those times you've had to wait to speak to someone at a call centre, and then got angry when they eventually answered, it maybe someone like myself who was given 8 days of worthless training and then told to answer calls!!!

On the bright side, I have just recieved an email from the lady I worked for previously with the horses and she's asked me to come back.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I was wondering what you were doing at home!!!!

A friend of mine works for B Mobile and they had 6 weeks training before they were allowed to go live. 8 days seems really awful.

I would have done the same Jane. You need to be confident that you know what you are talking about - how else can you help the customers otherwise.

Back to the horses and flies then - oh and Part B too...

Soon be back in Uk - chin up.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 4:39 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I was wondering what you were doing at home!!!!

A friend of mine works for B Mobile and they had 6 weeks training before they were allowed to go live. 8 days seems really awful.
I was talking to my mum who works for the NHS and their call centre has 3 weeks training and then they are monitered with mentors who sit by their sides when they go live.

We were told we couldn't put our hands up, we had to put the customer on hold and go and fetch them!! 12 people to 2 mentors isn't enough is it!! Oh well, smelly pooh and horse flies!! lol lol Part B and and a better all over tan!!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
I was talking to my mum who works for the NHS and their call centre has 3 weeks training and then they are monitered with mentors who sit by their sides when they go live.

We were told we couldn't put our hands up, we had to put the customer on hold and go and fetch them!! 12 people to 2 mentors isn't enough is it!! Oh well, smelly pooh and horse flies!! lol lol Part B and and a better all over tan!!
You know that bit where they say "We may monitor the call for quality control purposes" (I presume to ensure that the quality remains low ) - do they often actually monitor it?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:27 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by MikeStanton
You know that bit where they say "We may monitor the call for quality control purposes" (I presume to ensure that the quality remains low ) - do they often actually monitor it?
Yes, but they are monitoring the call centre staff to make sure they are saying the correct things, such as offering other services or making sure they ask for date of Birth etc for security.

If you as a customer said you don't want the call to be monitered then the person listening in has to put their head set down to protect the callers privacy!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

The pay was probably so bad it was hardly worth it anyway, most office jobs here treat you like you should pay them to work there.

When we first got here I got a job as a receptionist in a Council office. It was on the main counter of a very busy building department, usually customers 12 deep. First day I expected the most intensive training, nope they just stuck me out there with the very helpful advice "youll pick it up as you go along":scared:

I remember my first customer, the guy had sold his house, and finally got around to the point, that he had added an unapproved extension, well an entire floor actually in a country where changing a plug is illegal. At least I knew the answer to that one The abuse you copped tho for $350 a week was amazing. Even more scary tho was most people were related and they used to talk about this was their job for life, my life there was two months.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:37 am
Badge

oh well at least you were getting paid. I take it you got paid!!

:scared: :scared: :scared:

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

chloet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I gave up my job today !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my armoured suit on ready for the attack.

Sorry to hear things diidnt work out Jane.... Sounds awful....Scary...Hope u have more luck wit the next job..Chloe...
Can I ask how much diid they pay you a week to put up with these conditions????

After 8 days of the worst training I've ever had in my life, me and 11 others were put into the call centre to answer incoming calls from customers.

The calls were every conceivable question you could possibly ask about a telephone service, mobile, land line, bigpond or foxtel.

To cut a long story short, I felt the training was below average and inadiquate for any of us to answer questions on behalf of this major telephone company! In the first week of going on the phones two people left. I voiced my concerns and a meeting was held on how to improve the training we recieved.

Some of the 'managers' that were supposed to help during our first few days would huff and puff when we called them over to help. How unprofessional and unhelpfull they were. I held out for another week but after discussions with hubby over the weekend I felt I couldn't go back.

The thought of going back made me feel ill, I have never in all my life hated a job so much as I hated this. I don't dislike talking to customers either on the phone or face to face but with lack of training and thrown in literally at the deep end I found this an impossible environment to work in.

So just think about all those times you've had to wait to speak to someone at a call centre, and then got angry when they eventually answered, it maybe someone like myself who was given 8 days of worthless training and then told to answer calls!!!

On the bright side, I have just recieved an email from the lady I worked for previously with the horses and she's asked me to come back.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by badgersmount
oh well at least you were getting paid. I take it you got paid!!

:scared: :scared: :scared:

Badge has anyone snapped you up yet? They dont know what they are missing
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Good on you Jane,

Sound like a bloody waste of time.

I've heard companies do this before. The one thing they don't seem to give a t*ss about is who takes all the flak.

It is simply not worth whatever they are paying to listen to people getting hacked off because you cannot answer their question or even get someboy who can.

Most of us take pride in being able to do a good job. Not being able do the job well because of the lack of training sounds soul destroying. You're better off out of it!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

And Telstra wonder why they are hated. Janeyray that call centre is probably off to India anyway.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well Jane, you could always put your phone training to more lucretive uses

Good luck in finding another job soon
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I gave up my job today !!!!!!!!!!!!

Fate!! That's fantatstic news...now you can do something you love and actually wake up in the morning feeling happy, not full of dread. Don't blame you for packing in the job...it sounds a nightmare

Good luck!!!