Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I finally understand the Australian obsession with tupperware!!

I finally understand the Australian obsession with tupperware!!

Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default I finally understand the Australian obsession with tupperware!!

Now that I am here and living a rural life, I get what the tupperware thing is all about........

Cockroaches!!!!! :scared:

If you have seen one in your kitchen then you will be obsessed to put all your food away in a sealed container.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I finally understand the Australian obsession with tupperware!!

Originally Posted by sunbather
Now that I am here and living a rural life, I get what the tupperware thing is all about........

Cockroaches!!!!! :scared:

If you have seen one in your kitchen then you will be obsessed to put all your food away in a sealed container.
Not just cockroaches, all sort of weevils, moths etc...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Not just cockroaches, all sort of weevils, moths etc...
Yeah but it is the roaches that really do my head in. They are just disgusting adn move so darned fast. I never see where they actually come from. I can be looking at the worktop one minute, then the next one has just been teleported there.

We have been doing a lot of tree and shrub removal and I think it has disturbed them
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:58 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunbather
Yeah but it is the roaches that really do my head in. They are just disgusting adn move so darned fast. I never see where they actually come from. I can be looking at the worktop one minute, then the next one has just been teleported there.

We have been doing a lot of tree and shrub removal and I think it has disturbed them
l thought the main reason would be flies, no one wants flies laying maggots all over their food.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:05 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Pantry moths. I asked the pest controller why there were lots of little moths in the pantry. "Because your dry food is infested with moth eggs" was the answer.

Apparently you often buy food pre-infested. The moths burrow inside the boxes or inside bags of flour, you buy and take home and, hey presto, infest all the other dry goods in your pantry.

Tupperware will at least keep the eggs in just one place.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jayr
Pantry moths. I asked the pest controller why there were lots of little moths in the pantry. "Because your dry food is infested with moth eggs" was the answer.

Apparently you often buy food pre-infested. The moths burrow inside the boxes or inside bags of flour, you buy and take home and, hey presto, infest all the other dry goods in your pantry.

Tupperware will at least keep the eggs in just one place.
Eugh! Hadn't heard of those before. Looks like another trip to the shopping centre for even more plastic
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:20 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone had those weevil things in the rice i found one in my rice container and i threw the whole lot in the bin but i have since been told by a aussie that you just scoop them out eeeewwwww!!! but the scary thing is there hard to spot in the rice so now i have to rake through my rice before i cook it to make sure theres none in and i end up not eating it as i cant stop thinking about it and maybe i missed one!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
has anyone had those weevil things in the rice i found one in my rice container and i threw the whole lot in the bin but i have since been told by a aussie that you just scoop them out eeeewwwww!!! but the scary thing is there hard to spot in the rice so now i have to rake through my rice before i cook it to make sure theres none in and i end up not eating it as i cant stop thinking about it and maybe i missed one!

You didnt understand, you dont scoop them out before you cook it, you scoop them out as the rice boils they float to the top, then scoop.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Just eat them, unless you're a vegetarian.

Used to love getting chips from the chippy at Cullercoats and sitting on the beach BTW
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:41 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You didnt understand, you dont scoop them out before you cook it, you scoop them out as the rice boils they float to the top, then scoop.

YEEEEUUCCKK !!!!!!!! :scared:
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Wait 'till the people still in the UK get to read this thread
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:51 am
Karma Comedian

Watch out too for asian house lizard droppings. They may be friendly little things with their loud 'chuck chucking' and eating of pests but leave a lot of droppings behind.

At least they don't breed in your Weetbix...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes! I threw everything in the cupboard out and gave it a good going over with mortein.

I now chuck everything that's been in the cupboard for longer that a couple of months and check everything before I cook it. But as a few other posters said it probably doesn't do much good because it gets infested in the supermarket.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:14 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh i get it now lol
will try that next time
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by jayr
Just eat them, unless you're a vegetarian.

Used to love getting chips from the chippy at Cullercoats and sitting on the beach BTW
not veggie but dont fancy bush tucker for dinner!!

yeah that bills chippy was very popular and expensive imo we only went to the beach mostly before threshers offi opened otherwise you ended up sitting with all the charvas and thier cans of larger and chips! might of been you there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.