Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I feel a ping pom comming on.

I feel a ping pom comming on.

Old May 15th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I feel a ping pom comming on.

Originally Posted by BASHO
Thank you for the reply , most helpful.

I am considering a permanent move, I have just retired.

Thanks for the offer of maybe temp accom , however I have a step sister in Buxton who I haven't talked to in years who I may impose on--she owes me big time.

I'm thinking of South Wales and West country at the moment , price will be a factor whatever.

OK, well all the best with it. and I hope your sister is kind and forgiving

Don't you fancy North, Yorkshire, there's some lovely places here and I'm sure you'll get more for your money. Plus you can't beat Northern hospitality - You know we're much friendly people up here.
Old May 15th 2014, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
In the interests of pedantry, a body corporate has been known as an owners corporation for some time, in Victoria at least, not sure of other states. An OC is similar but not exactly the same as a BC was and has to follow new OC's legislation. We have a 1/4 of a block of townhouses so we are in an Owners Corporation which represents the 4 owners and attends to things like repairs and maintenance which apply to the whole block as well as insurance of building etc.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housi...rs-corporation
I'm in Qld and as usual I suspect that things are somewhat the same but different, there are two primary schemes under the Act, one being a 'Standard Format Plan , the other being a 'Building Unit Plan' the latter being defunct but still in place in many complexes , it pays to find out which plan the property is under in the instance of Strata tiled properties, the differences are profound.

And in the instance of pedantry in QLD at least, the phrase 'Body Corporate' refers to all owners as a collective body and an 'owners corporation' is not a description of anything in relation to residential property---as far as I know anyhoo
Old May 15th 2014, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

Don't you fancy North, Yorkshire, there's some lovely places here and I'm sure you'll get more for your money. Plus you can't beat Northern hospitality - You know we're much friendly people up here.
My sister will be lucky if she doesn't end up making a lot of new friends in Holloway , she has some matters to explain.

I like the North greatly , it's where I'm from , however the slightly milder climate in the South is very attractive especially after 40 years in Australia.

There are also places like The Hope Valley which are climate defiers which could be a consideration.
Old May 15th 2014, 9:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister will be lucky if she doesn't end up making a lot of new friends in Holloway , she has some matters to explain.

I like the North greatly , it's where I'm from , however the slightly milder climate in the South is very attractive especially after 40 years in Australia.

There are also places like The Hope Valley which are climate defiers which could be a consideration.
We seem to be in an area like that, in thenext town where the boys go to school it will often get snow and we get a blue sky, it is just 7 miles away.
Old May 15th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

however the slightly milder climate in the South is very attractive especially after 40 years in Australia.
Yeah I can't say I blame you.

Actually there's quite a big difference. My husband works in London and sometimes it can be boiling down there, shorts and T-shirt weather and up here we're all in our coats.
Old May 16th 2014, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

New question---

--What's the residency go with spouses ? I have an Australian one who will be coming with.

She will not be working- or looking for work and we are jointly and individually entirely self funded.

The way I read it it's initially a two year spousal visa followed by an application for permanent residency ?

If I'm right how likely is it that the application for permanent residency will be denied --or accepted as the case may be.

We will also jointly own a home in the UK long before her application for permanent residency will be filed.

I am a British citizen born and bred She is an Australian citizen hatched and raised.
Old May 16th 2014, 1:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

New question---

--What's the residency go with spouses ? I have an Australian one who will be coming with.

She will not be working- or looking for work and we are jointly and individually entirely self funded.

The way I read it it's initially a two year spousal visa followed by an application for permanent residency ?

If I'm right how likely is it that the application for permanent residency will be denied --or accepted as the case may be.

We will also jointly own a home in the UK long before her application for permanent residency will be filed.

I am a British citizen born and bred She is an Australian citizen hatched and raised.
I'd have a read down in the MBTTUK forum. There are financial requirements you'll need to satisfy in terms of income and/or savings, as well as accommodation. Don't know much about it, but there is plenty of info available
Old May 16th 2014, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'd have a read down in the MBTTUK forum. There are financial requirements you'll need to satisfy in terms of income and/or savings, as well as accommodation. Don't know much about it, but there is plenty of info available
Thanks for that, I've posted there now--- but---

---if anyone on this thread has any comment/advice regarding the immigration do's and dont's of taking an Australian wife to the UK permanently I'd appreciate reading them

Coal to Newcastle comments and their ilk will be treated with harsh response.
Old May 16th 2014, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

Pfffftttt I used to live near Selby in North Yorkshire. VERRYYYYY strange place indeed and the biggest power station in Europe casting a constant shadow over the place!

It is a very nice county indeed though. But I find that you have the same problem there as anywhere else in the world. The beautiful areas within easy commuting distance are pretty expensive by northern standards. I know the reality for us as a young family was that we had to buy close to somewhere like Selby or Acomb in York with its resident chav population.

As I have mentioned before many times in the past....same shite....different country. We got fed up of commuting in those bad winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11 when the car wouldn't start and it would take 2hrs to get to work in the snow and ice and scraping the ****ing car windows every morning. Then the floods between Selby and York would cut the road for weeks on end which meant a 1 hour detour to work and home again. Our house that we thought was a good standard was actually quite shoddy and started to show all kinds of issues. I developed pneumonia in 2008 as a fit and healthy 30 year old and I am sure it was a combination of the stress of the house, the damp weather and lot of other issues at that time.

Beautiful place to visit but not sure I could live there again. I appreciate it more now when I visit anyway and actually do more!
Old May 16th 2014, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse visa is getting a bit tricky - an income of £18500 or savings of £62000 (or thereabouts). Don't suppose she's entitled to a visa or citizenship in her own right? Hasn't got a UK born parent stashed away anywhere? (They changed the rules to allow children of UK born mothers of any age to be entitled to citizenship by descent a couple of years ago). Good luck! Hope she enjoys it!
Old May 16th 2014, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Spouse visa is getting a bit tricky - an income of £18500 or savings of £62000 (or thereabouts). Don't suppose she's entitled to a visa or citizenship in her own right? Hasn't got a UK born parent stashed away anywhere? (They changed the rules to allow children of UK born mothers of any age to be entitled to citizenship by descent a couple of years ago). Good luck! Hope she enjoys it!
UK born grandmother -paternal. ??

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually gone through this ,---- there will inevitably be some idiotic complication .

Last edited by BASHO; May 16th 2014 at 6:41 am.
Old May 16th 2014, 6:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

UK born grandmother -paternal. ??
That would only get her an Ancestry visa, which is a work visa. Have a look at the Moving Back to the UK forum, tons of info there and you really do need to get your head around it all - it's a far, far different system than it used to be.

As well as the financial requirements, there are now three stages to go through before your Aussie wife receives Indefinite Leave to Remain - and the process takes over 5 years and a lot of pounds.

I've also replied on your MBTUK thread.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 16th 2014 at 6:46 am.
Old May 16th 2014, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That would only get her an Ancestry visa, which is a work visa. Have a look at the Moving Back to the UK forum, tons of info there and you really do need to get your head around it all - it's a far, far different system than it used to be.

As well as the financial requirements, there are now three stages to go through before your Aussie wife receives Indefinite Leave to Remain - and the process takes over 5 years and a lot of pounds.
Thanks for that, just printing some info out now .

I'm wondering about the new EU visa fuss I've been seeing on the news lately of the anticipated hordes of Eastern Europeans now able to reside , work and stay permanently in the UK without let or hinderance, that apparently didn't actually horde up for the occasion ,---

-- however a returning British citizen and his Commonwealth wife (me and the missus) who want nothing from the UK gov and are financially self sufficient have what seems like 20 tons of bull-hit to wade through with nothing but uncertainty as to the desired end result .

Strange --
Old May 16th 2014, 7:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, just printing some info out now .

I'm wondering about the new EU visa fuss I've been seeing on the news lately of the anticipated hordes of Eastern Europeans now able to reside , work and stay permanently in the UK without let or hinderance, that apparently didn't actually horde up for the occasion ,---

-- however a returning British citizen and his Commonwealth wife (me and the missus) who want nothing from the UK gov and are financially self sufficient have what seems like 20 tons of bull-hit to wade through with nothing but uncertainty as to the desired end result .

Strange --
Strange is probably the mildest term for it........

You'll see on the MBTTUK forum that so many people are affected by the new rules, with many having little or no prospect at present of moving back due to being unable to meet the financial requirements. It probably doesn't seem like it now, but you and I (and our respective spouses) are the most fortunate ones, in that we're self funding and seeking to retire in the UK. Our move will be in a year or so - just hoping the goalposts don't change yet again.
Old May 16th 2014, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well if she is prepared to work, then the Ancestry visa would be a better bet - don't know what would happen if she worked for a few days then "retired".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.