Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I feel a ping pom comming on.

I feel a ping pom comming on.

Old May 19th 2014, 10:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I feel a ping pom comming on.

Originally Posted by BASHO
I was there about ten years ago in winter and got iced up windscreens first thing in the mornings, I'd just come down from the Territory and in any event hadn't seen that for 30 years , the novelty could wear of I think--
My brother lives near Goulburn in NSW and they get more frosts than we do here
Old May 19th 2014, 10:08 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Spot on. We were chasing the dream in the UK but decided why chase the dream in the cold / wet and a damp house making me ill when we can at least try and chase it in the sun.

Same issues here in Australia as in the UK of course. You need money to be in those stand out locations wherever it is you go / country you move to.
Or of course NOT live in a cold damp house in the first place
Old May 22nd 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jon77
Pfffftttt I used to live near Selby in North Yorkshire. VERRYYYYY strange place indeed and the biggest power station in Europe casting a constant shadow over the place!

It is a very nice county indeed though. But I find that you have the same problem there as anywhere else in the world. The beautiful areas within easy commuting distance are pretty expensive by northern standards. I know the reality for us as a young family was that we had to buy close to somewhere like Selby or Acomb in York with its resident chav population.

As I have mentioned before many times in the past....same shite....different country. We got fed up of commuting in those bad winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11 when the car wouldn't start and it would take 2hrs to get to work in the snow and ice and scraping the ****ing car windows every morning. Then the floods between Selby and York would cut the road for weeks on end which meant a 1 hour detour to work and home again. Our house that we thought was a good standard was actually quite shoddy and started to show all kinds of issues. I developed pneumonia in 2008 as a fit and healthy 30 year old and I am sure it 7was a combination of the stress of the house, the damp weather and lot of other issues at that time.

Beautiful place to visit but not sure I could live there again. I appreciate it more now when I visit anyway and actually do more!
I got pneumonia as a fit and healthy 27 year old in Aus. And I'd already had shingles that year! I honestly was fit and healthy outside those illnesses.

OP, we moved back to the UK 18 months ago. Had some teething issues but v happy now. We were happy in Aus too mind you and were happy in the UK before we moved down under. As happy as we are I have no doubt we'll end up going overseas again in the future. Cheesy as the saying is, it is true that not all who wander are lost!

Are you anticipating this being your final move or are you open to a few years in the UK then possibly moving back to Aus? There is a palpable sense of a corner having been turned here but whether that has any basis in fact or whether it will last - who knows. If you're content to take it as it comes why not just give it a go?