Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I don't want that Visa Paywave thingy - is there a bank that doesn't have it?

I don't want that Visa Paywave thingy - is there a bank that doesn't have it?

Old Nov 11th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I don't want that Visa Paywave thingy - is there a bank that doesn't have it?

My ANZ card expired, so was activating the new one and noticed it had this. I told them I didn't want it as I don't find putting in a PIN number terribly onerous and it's more secure. Apparently if I get a "basic" EFTPOS card I can't use it for online shopping.

Do any banks do "normal" debit cards? It just strikes me as pretty daft to make you have a card which is less secure.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 2:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't want that Visa Paywave thingy - is there a bank that doesn't have it?

Originally Posted by Family of 3
My ANZ card expired, so was activating the new one and noticed it had this. I told them I didn't want it as I don't find putting in a PIN number terribly onerous and it's more secure. Apparently if I get a "basic" EFTPOS card I can't use it for online shopping.

Do any banks do "normal" debit cards? It just strikes me as pretty daft to make you have a card which is less secure.
I think you can set the card so that the paywave either has a very low allowance or none at all - you might have to ask in the branch though
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't want that Visa Paywave thingy - is there a bank that doesn't have it?

You don't have to use the paywave. You can insert/swipe the card as normal. You need to enter a pin if its above $100 amd it randomly asks for,it on lower amounts. Ask at the bank if you can set it to always need a pin x
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm presuming Customer Services would have told me if I could change the limit on it, but I'll email to ask.

I don't have a problem with ME not using a PIN, I just think if I lost my card it gives thieves a lot of $100s to spend. (Touch wood hasn't happened yet, but you never know ... )
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:46 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm presuming Customer Services would have told me if I could change the limit on it, but I'll email to ask.

I don't have a problem with ME not using a PIN, I just think if I lost my card it gives thieves a lot of $100s to spend. (Touch wood hasn't happened yet, but you never know ... )
Use your EFTPOS card out shopping and keep the debit card for online?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Use your EFTPOS card out shopping and keep the debit card for online?
Tried that. They'll only let you have the one card.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want it either, so never activated it, but then one shop decided to use PayWave for me. A few other shops have automatically used it without asking me first and I pointed out to them that they need to check with me first. I rang the bank supplying our card and asked for them to send me a new one without PayWave - never got the card and haven't yet followed it up.

The message about asking the customer first seemed to get through at several shops I go to, as they now ask. Apparently a lot of customers have complained because some people add funds to their card via different accounts or methods and if the shop automatically assumes the customer wants PayWave, it messes up their accounts (some are credit cards, some are debit cards or something like that).

Try ringing your bank again and see if you can get a PayWave-less card, they do exist apparently.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:18 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

My Citibank debit card doesn't have pay wave on it.

S
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
You don't have to use the paywave. You can insert/swipe the card as normal. You need to enter a pin if its above $100 amd it randomly asks for,it on lower amounts. Ask at the bank if you can set it to always need a pin x
Unfortunately there are problems with the technology in that you can intend to pay via the PIN method, but if your purse / wallet is too close to the reader it can take a double payment via the paywave. That is one of the reasons that you can now buy covers for Paywave cards (effectively shielded covers or "faraday cages").

Must admit not happy with this payment method (due to it's lack of positive approval) as if stolen thieves can quickly make lots of small payments with no checks, and then you have the problems of getting it back from the bank.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

That's my concern. When I spoke to ANZ, the guy said "It's not a problem if you report it promptly", but define "promptly". What if you don't notice?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

That's my concern. When I spoke to ANZ, the guy said "It's not a problem if you report it promptly", but define "promptly". What if you don't notice?
I am afraid you are correct with what is defined as "promptly". I find that you are usually just outside the "statute of limitations" and it is better that they get rid of this payment system to avoid all of the extra costs associated with running the complaints departments which the poor customers get to pay for through fees (directly or indirectly)
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That pisses me off. Even if it's only used once before you've realised it's gone that's $100 gone that you then have to jump through hoops to recover.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:12 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Citibank Plus visa debit card
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
+1
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:19 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Though heaven forbid that anybody in Australia bank with an American bank...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.