Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i don't quite understand this climate

i don't quite understand this climate

Old Oct 4th 2003, 10:53 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road
Default i don't quite understand this climate

Well a few days ago i was roasting in 20 degrees of sunshine sat outside having coffee......now we're under a huge dump of snow and its 4 degrees.....i thought it was spring Its a white out so i guess i'm indoors for a while.NZ brings suprises once more.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i don't quite understand this climate

Originally posted by deedee
Well a few days ago i was roasting in 20 degrees of sunshine sat outside having coffee......now we're under a huge dump of snow and its 4 degrees.....i thought it was spring Its a white out so i guess i'm indoors for a while.NZ brings suprises once more.
Hi You're not the only one.
Thought I'd give my windows their annual wash and brush up, let mother nature do it rest of the year, plus it saves on net curtains, was too hot to stay outside ' when I'm cleaning windows'
Okay anyone else fit a song title into a 'normal' conversation?
Mind you, lashed it down today. LMS
Old Oct 5th 2003, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what you mean! It's a lot colder now than it was a couple of weeks ago. I have been informed that this is what an NZ Spring is like!! Roll on Summer!

All those poor lambs though...

Nicola.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Is it supposed to rain this much?

Gill
Old Oct 5th 2003, 6:19 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

well just managed to get the truck out and there are drifts of about 3 feet everywhere.Its a lambing disaster.Its only going to get worse as its going to freeze tonight.Hopefully some relief with sunshine forcast tomorrow...please Need to get some work done.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:00 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Its a bit shockin aye! It's gone chilly here with a good southerly blowin', no snow here, but can see heaps of it in the mountains, but I feel sorry for you farmers down south, just saw the news reports, not nice & sad about the lambs.
Hopefully this week will sort itself out weather wise & good luck DeeDee! Hope everything goes ok for you.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:46 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the current storm you're experiencing sounds worse than the average...

but yes is does rain a lot in spring....

NZ's seasons are weird... winter and spring are definitely the worst - spring often has lots of rain and storms - it usually doesn't start to get really settled until late december (at least!)

This is why the NZ international cricket season traditionally has been in late Feb and into March (sometimes even into April). The best, most settled weather in is late summer & autumn.

Last few years they have been having a Xmas time tour as well, but the weather then is much less predictable.

The hottest weather happens AFTER all the kids go back to school! Which is why, for the first few weeks of the school year, the kids are bundled outside for swimming and athletics days - anything to get them out of stinking hot classrooms
Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:20 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by deedee

My friend in Invercargill was having a good moan about all the snow last night. Bad weather always happens around lambing. Sounds bad this time though.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:43 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Hi,
We arrive on 26th Oct Chch, our gear does not arrive by boat until 10th Dec. I was just going to pack shorts, do we need winter coats?

Cheers Kev and family. :scared:
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:51 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be okay by then... but a good raincoat is needed all year round in NZ. And warm clothing is always handy - but a full Uk style winter coat shouldn't be necessary in December

The rain in Britain is nothing compared to NZ. The rain in the Uk is what we call drizzle in NZ.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:02 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by jandjuk
You should be okay by then... but a good raincoat is needed all year round in NZ. And warm clothing is always handy - but a full Uk style winter coat shouldn't be necessary in December

The rain in Britain is nothing compared to NZ. The rain in the Uk is what we call drizzle in NZ.
What I call rain in Melbourne is called Scottish Mist in Scotland!

TennisOz

Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:53 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by St George Six
Hi,
We arrive on 26th Oct Chch, our gear does not arrive by boat until 10th Dec. I was just going to pack shorts, do we need winter coats?

Cheers Kev and family. :scared:
I would pack a light waterproof coat of some kind. You will need jumpers as it may be warm in the day but starts to drop cold quickly. Also here you can have brilliant sun but with a southerly (straight off the Antarctic) wind, which is bloody cold. If we get a norwester wind its great cause that is lovely and warm. In Oct you should bring a good mix of clothes, lots of layers, as the temp can differ quite a bit in one day.

Paula
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:23 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

well the road to our block was finally cleared yesterday afternoon,thanks to the neighbour having a 250hp tractor.It had mostly drifted and the middle of the road was well over a metre deep.Its melting as fast as it came and theres now a river running down across the paddock It would appear that it was'nt as bad as everyone first thought.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:58 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
I would pack a light waterproof coat of some kind. You will need jumpers as it may be warm in the day but starts to drop cold quickly. Also here you can have brilliant sun but with a southerly (straight off the Antarctic) wind, which is bloody cold. If we get a norwester wind its great cause that is lovely and warm. In Oct you should bring a good mix of clothes, lots of layers, as the temp can differ quite a bit in one day.

Paula
Thanks everyone, we will have to give it some thought as to what we leave behind to arrive in Dec.

cheers Kev.