Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I dont like OZ, will I like NZ

I dont like OZ, will I like NZ

Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:50 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I dont like OZ, will I like NZ

Why don't you think about Tasmania, or one of the regional centres in the upland parts of rural Victoria and New South Wales (e.g. Ballarat, Orange)? All have four seasons and a relative lack of spiders, mosquitos, etc, etc. Plenty of openings for anyone in the hospitality industry and not 1600km to the nearest large city.

Originally Posted by nadja31
Hi all,
my Oz husband and I moved to Oz 3 years ago and still I don't feel home or happy here. There is just certain things I dislike so much here namely:
- the spiders, cockroaches, mozzies, sandflies, etc. We had cockraoaches breeding in the kitchen cupboards, ants in the electrics in the walls, infected mozzie bites etc. Yesterday I woke up by a cockr. crawling over my back. I am so disgusted by it all that I feel sick half the time. Spend most of the day spraying and cleaning, but still....
- hate the fact that everything is so far away here, next big city: 1600 km, change of scenery not for 2000 km
- hate the heat
- hate the fact that there is no seasons
My husband and I are both working in hospitality and I don't think it would be a problem for us finding a job in NZ (want to go to Otago/Lakes Area). We realize the salary might be less and Real estate more expensive. We are ok with that. We just wonder what the differences are with regards to holidays, child support, medicare, schools etc. Is there much of a difference?
I know there are many people moving from NZ to Oz (scares me a little). Is that mainly because of the economy/work situation (as that would not really apply to us).
Thanks for any reply.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:31 pm
In Auckland, for now

hopper is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia is a big place,don't limit your options by coming here.We spent yesterday afternoon outside and were bitten by sandlies within minutes.I keep the windows closed as much as possible to keep the flies and mozzies out.We have great big cream and brown cockroaches and earwigs in our rental house.The winter cold and occassional frost doesn't kill anything off and it's grey,windy,wet today and 12 degrees.I'd swap with you anyday!!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:39 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

I honestly think you'd be even more miserable in New Zealand. I was there for a few months visiting a friend, and they are really struggling to get by.

Good luck though.

-Becs
Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are also in Tropical far North Queensland and we haven't experienced the cockroach (seen one ), ant ( seen a few, but nothing to be afraid of ) or mossie's you speak of.

Yes, there are some sandflies, around the marshy areas and yes the bites they inflict are painfully itchy and not pleasant.

Are you south? Seems they have more of that sort of thing down there for some reason, maybe move within your area first, before moving country?

Good luck and best wishes, Leigh. x
Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:56 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi

We are also in Tropical far North Queensland and we haven't experienced the cockroach (seen one ), ant ( seen a few, but nothing to be afraid of ) or mossie's you speak of.
Yet.....!!!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Although I empathize with the fact that you are not settled, I'm genuinely amazed that you were surprised to discover the tropics to be very hot and to have lots of bugs.

You could live as far north as Northern NSW and experience snow in winter if you lived at a high altitude for example. There are lots of parts of this huge country that are completely and utterly different from where you are.

Like others, I strongly recommend looking at more southerly parts of Aus before considering NZ.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:23 am
Just Joined

nadja31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
Wow no shit, you've moved to tropical north Qld and don't like the flies cockies and the ants. You don't like the extreme heat or the long distance to get anywhere. What did you expect it to be like? No wonder a lot of people have advised you to move!
Can't speak for Tennant Creek but Gympie is hardly "out in the bush" it's a fairly nice city 40 mins from Noosa same from Tin Can Bay and Rainbow Beach. We live 20 mins from there and have no problems with ants, no problems with flies [as we have screens] As we always remove our shoes outside we've never even seen a cockroach in the house.
Sounds like your move here was poorly planned and insufficiently researched. Why not go on a long holiday to NZ first and see if you like it. Alternately if you enjoyed living in " Jasper, Kanada" so much just go back.
For a start I am not in tropical QLD. Also, I have not chosen to live here, but followed my partner. It is his home town and I was convinced I could do it for him AND be happy. I hate Gympie, spend an exchange year there, found it boring and narrow minded and just the worst small town on the planet. Sorry, but different people like different things. I am glad you are happy there though. We did not have to research our move, cause I went to marry my husband who happens to live here. And a visa for Canada is quite difficult to obtain unfortunately otherwise we would move there tomorrow! But after 3 years of visa struggle for a spouse visa I am not too keen on getting into another visa struggle.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Then why the heck did you come then???
Im in Perth and love it despite the differences!
I came here because it is my husband's home. For no other reason.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you in Darwin?

As others have noted the climate you're experiencing is _not_ typical of Australia in general.

The southern part of Australia (including Tasmania) would likely be much more comfortable for you. You could either go for a city like Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra or Hobart or pick a smaller regional centre that's a few hours drive away from the big city. There are plenty of these in the south of Australia (eg Albany, Bendigo, Warrnambool, Geelong, Launceston, etc).

I can't speak for NZ in detail but I believe it's fairly similar to Australia - except with a lower standard of living. So salaries are lower and things like medicare are not as comprehensive.

If you are a permanent resident (PR) in Australia you can probably get into NZ to live without needing a visa, at least according to what others have posted. But your Australian PR will expire eventually and it will likely be 5 years before you can become an NZ citizen (they plan to increase the residence requirement to 5 years from 1 Jan 2005 - see http://www.citizenship.govt.nz) so if you'd like a blue passport sooner, it may be better to stay in Australia for a while and only think about a possible move to NZ at a later stage.

Of course, depending on the law of your home country you may end up losing that citizenship - you don't say what that is or whether this is important to you.

Australian citizens (including naturalised Australians) have an unqualified right to live in New Zealand, at least under current NZ law.

Jeremy
Thanks for the info. Will be very helpful. I think I am just too over Australia altogether to give it a go in another city here. But thanks for the ideas...
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Although I empathize with the fact that you are not settled, I'm genuinely amazed that you were surprised to discover the tropics to be very hot and to have lots of bugs.

You could live as far north as Northern NSW and experience snow in winter if you lived at a high altitude for example. There are lots of parts of this huge country that are completely and utterly different from where you are.

Like others, I strongly recommend looking at more southerly parts of Aus before considering NZ.
I was not surprised one bit, that Darwin is isolated, hot, humid, full of bugs, full of unmotivated people etc. But I thought I could put up with it for the sake of my hubby who had and has great job opprtunities here. It has just reached a point where I want out, right now. Maybe I am just in desperate need for a holiday where it gets under 35 degrees and where there is no cockr. nests in the kitchen, under the table, in the walls, no ants and people I can relate to a little. Maybe I have been putting up with it too long. But my motivation of starting again in another australian city is zero. I hear from friends in Perth, that it is just so isolated and so far to anywhere and ants nests in the garden, kitchen etc. Pest control has to come all the time etc. I just want to make sure that the next move is right, so I am off for a holiday to the South ISland next week. Keep posting though, I am happy to hear any opininions. One thing I have learned is that going somewhere on a holiday hardly gives you an idea of what living there is really like, so I would LOVE to hear from people who have had the experience of living there already.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:47 am
aussie73

Thanks for the info. Will be very helpful. I think I am just too over Australia altogether to give it a go in another city here. But thanks for the ideas...
You seem to have the impression that all of OZ is like where you live.
l was wondering have you actually been to and seen South eastern Australia,
Sydney ( NSW) , Melbourne, Rural Victoria or even Tasmania which has a climate and countryside similar to England. If not you should follow the advice of other people on this forum and check out these places on a holiday before considering another country.

Last edited by aussie73; Oct 18th 2004 at 12:49 am.

Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Of course you will like New Zealand Come on down...
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I can assure you now, that if isolation is an issue for you NZ is deffo NOT for you!! Of course you should go see for yourself, but i am pretty sure in my mind you really would not settle.
I know you will probably already be doing this, but maybe go look at properties for sale whilst there, look at job oportunities and compare cost of living versus wages. I think it might be a bit of a shock!!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:07 am
aussie73

You should consider Melbourne, its a large city ( you don't like small towns)
It was voted the world's most liveable city, it has a cool climate, cold in winter with a mild summer, many more employment opportunities then New Zealand and few bugs and there are many fantastic destinations within 1 hours drive from Melbourne such as the surf coast and the Great Ocean Road.

Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:11 am
In Auckland, for now

hopper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hourly wages here for most people are pretty terrible,salaries aren't much better either.Don't come on holiday now, wait until the winter and see how busy the hospitality industry is at that time of year,even better rent a house for a few weeks and live-in it while you decide.

My BIL works in the hotel trade back in the UK and there's no way I would recommed to him that he comes here to work.He's much better off back in the Lake District.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.