Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I dont drive am I stuffed in Brisbane !

I dont drive am I stuffed in Brisbane !

Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:26 pm
Queensland Mag

Imreswastedlife will become famous soon enough
Default I dont drive am I stuffed in Brisbane !

Hi,My wife,kids and I are moving to Bris April/May this year,We are looking to rent in the Runcorn/Sunnybank aera.My wife drives and I dont,will I be able to make a go of it as a non driver ? is learning to drive in Oz an option ? would be interested to hear any views Cheers Paul
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I dont drive am I stuffed in Brisbane !

Originally Posted by Imreswastedlife
Hi,My wife,kids and I are moving to Bris April/May this year,We are looking to rent in the Runcorn/Sunnybank aera.My wife drives and I dont,will I be able to make a go of it as a non driver ? is learning to drive in Oz an option ? would be interested to hear any views Cheers Paul

I don't live in Brisbane, but I didn't drive when we first got here. I managed just fine, but had to keep in mind public transport times if I wanted to go out anywhere.

I have since learnt to drive (passed my test in January) and absolutely love it!. I found it a lot easier to learn here than I ever did in the UK, which is why I never actually managed to pass my test before
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:01 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

If you are around Sunnybank then there wil be loads of buses.

Learning to drive here is much like anywhere else, costs a fair bit and requires practice!

Good luck!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:45 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane transport site

http://translink.com.au/

There are buses everywhere. Route 130 sunnybank to the City 30mins

Trains ( altandi -> central ) 32 mins
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:47 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I've just returned from a holiday in Brisbane and found the transport to be excellent.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:05 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Public transport is OK if you want to go to and from the CBD, but you might be in trouble if you want to go anywhere else.

Originally Posted by Imreswastedlife
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:16 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Public transport is OK if you want to go to and from the CBD, but you might be in trouble if you want to go anywhere else.
plus your knackered if your a window cleaner !!!

Sunny bank, probs not so commutable I would have thought as Runcorn, as Merlin says... to and from CBD is probs all you will get
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Cardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
plus your knackered if your a window cleaner !!!

Sunny bank, probs not so commutable I would have thought as Runcorn, as Merlin says... to and from CBD is probs all you will get
We tried holding off on hiring a car when we first arrived, after about a week it was just making the whole process far more difficult than it needed to be, this is just my personal opinion, but I wouldnt like to not drive here, havng said that, my missus dosent drive, it doesnt bother her, she just gets me to drive her lol
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardos
We tried holding off on hiring a car when we first arrived, after about a week it was just making the whole process far more difficult than it needed to be, this is just my personal opinion, but I wouldnt like to not drive here, havng said that, my missus dosent drive, it doesnt bother her, she just gets me to drive her lol

I think when you can drive you feel like someones cut your legs off if you don't have use of a car - but when you can't drive you don't have that as you get used to catching buses, trains or walking everywhere

I wouldn't be without my car now, but before it never bothered me.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:50 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Australias a bloody big place to go walkabout !!!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Australias a bloody big place to go walkabout !!!

I know!. I caught the bus for longer journey's though, I couldn't afford to keep replacing my shoes.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wendy
I know!. I caught the bus for longer journey's though, I couldn't afford to keep replacing my shoes.
I Must admit, I get cramp if my foot isnt at a 45 degree angle with pressure on it !

Fark 26 years this year been driving !!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I Must admit, I get cramp if my foot isnt at a 45 degree angle with pressure on it !

Fark 26 years this year been driving !!

51 days for me
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

i dont drive too however i have decided to with a little "loving" nudge from oh

i took my theory test 2 weeks ago didn't study for it and passed that (so must be easy) and now i am learning in a car park untill i am convident (sp) to go on the rds - which oh says i should be doing in 1 more lesson

i am learning in an automatic so is ment to be easy to drive but the car is a station wagon so not a small car

in the uk i never had any lessons as i never wanted to drive always relied on public transport but now i am in perth i feel that i should learn as it will make things easier for me to get to

for example to get to the beach ( 10mins max in car) is a 2 bus journeys and then a 10 min walk !

so if i can learn to drive then anyone can

good luck

hitchcock
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:48 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
i dont drive too however i have decided to with a little "loving" nudge from oh

i took my theory test 2 weeks ago didn't study for it and passed that (so must be easy) and now i am learning in a car park untill i am convident (sp) to go on the rds - which oh says i should be doing in 1 more lesson

i am learning in an automatic so is ment to be easy to drive but the car is a station wagon so not a small car

in the uk i never had any lessons as i never wanted to drive always relied on public transport but now i am in perth i feel that i should learn as it will make things easier for me to get to

for example to get to the beach ( 10mins max in car) is a 2 bus journeys and then a 10 min walk !

so if i can learn to drive then anyone can

good luck

hitchcock

Im learning too after nearly 3 years in oz not driving im lucky to live next to amenities but i cant wait to have the freedom to go were i want my first lesson is on Sunday i will be learning in automatic too just hope my nerves dont get the better of me!!

good luck with your lessons.