Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I do not think living in Oz is much more better by all standards than living in UK!

I do not think living in Oz is much more better by all standards than living in UK!

Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I do not think living in Oz is much more better by all standards than living in U

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin
living permanently in Australia is arduous to Europeans in general...
Cheers

arduous - new fav. word
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I do not think living in Oz is much more better by all standards than living in U

Originally Posted by sr71
All depends on what you define as standard of living, which is different for everyone.
Yes.

Standard might equate to way of life, naturally.

Many variables:
Income
Assets
Expenditure
Lifestle wanted - semi-rural, city, climate
Year landed also appears to be key..

I heard what you said about Dallas:

Originally Posted by lastresort
Really? Dallas is horribly inconvenient. The airport is ridiculous. You have to go outside of the airport and wait for a bus if you have a connecting flight. The city is sprawling and the highways are a mess.

In what ways is Aus substandard?
An airport might be the last of your worries...US consumerism may not be wanted by all - however aspects of consumerism generally recognised will cost more in Australia.

For those things which are substandard, or are inferior to comparison, your list might be long, establish how averse you are. These things will be supplied - I trust.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Like what?
The distance to go anywhere outside the country. The unrelenting flies at this time of year, the heat, the shit standard of building, the lack of M&S or Next, the rain, the driving standards, the red tape, the endless regulations for everything from changing a light bulb to registering a business. Shall I go on?

Oh, and by the way, I personally have not found any of these things, with the exception of crap building standards, to be a bother. I'm just passing on what others have commented on over the years.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:31 am
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The distance to go anywhere outside the country. The unrelenting flies at this time of year, the heat, the shit standard of building, the lack of M&S or Next, the rain, the driving standards, the red tape, the endless regulations for everything from changing a light bulb to registering a business. Shall I go on?

Oh, and by the way, I personally have not found any of these things, with the exception of crap building standards, to be a bother. I'm just passing on what others have commented on over the years.
Interesting.

Australia is not too far behind the UK as a place to do business.
NZ is very high but people on here seem to think of it as a backwater mainly for rugby players.
http://www.doingbusiness.org/economyrankings/

Are those rankings wrong?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:51 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting.

Australia is not too far behind the UK as a place to do business.
NZ is very high but people on here seem to think of it as a backwater mainly for rugby players.
http://www.doingbusiness.org/economyrankings/

Are those rankings wrong?
As I'm not interested in running my own business then those figures are completely irrelevant to me.... and probably every other employee as well.

...and are even more irrelevant when it comes to 'quality of life'

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Oct 13th 2010 at 2:54 am.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
snip
You may think you're funny but I think you are a racist twat.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You may think you're funny but I think you are a racist twat.
Well said.....
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Well said.....
Seconded.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Thirded

This thread is obviously a wind up.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:15 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Standard of living....whose?

I now have: good water to drink, fresh air to breathe. Miles upon miles of absolutely nothing in which to get lost and escape. I am self employed and it's the easiest income I have ever made. Even the tax return is a piece of cake and seems to work in my favour.

In cash terms, my income is lower.

My brain has never felt so free and I now don't suffer from stress.

Substitute quality of life for standard of living and it's a no contest.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sr71
All depends on what you define as standard of living, which is different for everyone.

Having just spent the 3 weeks in Dallas, USA, I think both both the UK and Aus are substandard in many respects.

I appreciate your serious inquiry;

By saying that I do imply ;

1-affordability of basic services AT LOW PRICES ie. Housing.
2-net income.
3-feasibility of small investements with reasonable chances of success.

Do you think AU > UK

Thanks
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your serious inquiry;

By saying that I do imply ;

1-affordability of basic services AT LOW PRICES ie. Housing.
2-net income.
3-feasibility of small investements with reasonable chances of success.

Do you think AU > UK

Thanks
Why are you asking though? Are you moving to Aus? Have you ever lived in either country?
For instance you are asking about low prices - low in comparison to what? Very few people can compare them to Saudi Arabia, and if you haven't lived in either country it could be difficult to compare so that you understand the benchmarks!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Are you looking at migrating to Australia? If not I'm wondering what has motivated someone from Saudi Arabia to try and stir up an argument on whether life is better here or in Europe?

actually, I am impressed by the Australian health care systems since I am involved in the same environment and I once had this idea revolving in my mind (going to AU).. But when I see brit`s move to AU..I wonder what is the incentive for them crossing thousand of miles there....that s it
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:56 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

actually, I am impressed by the Australian health care systems since I am involved in the same environment and I once had this idea revolving in my mind (going to AU).. But when I see brit`s move to AU..I wonder what is the incentive for them crossing thousand of miles there....that s it
see post 25 - there's incentive.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Bernie, not everyone who uses BE is a native English speaker.

NaimTakieddin are you thinking of moving to Aus and asking others why they moved? Or are you just bored?
Why should I be bored If I raised this thread!!! As I said I love Aussies by all their adorable features ... But I wonder what is the very instigating stimulant FOR Brit `s to go Australia...

Is it because of the huge free spaces in AU or the gorgeous wheather in general !

that`s it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.