I do, do you???

Old Nov 5th 2004, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about
Default I do, do you???

Just a question for everyone, out of curiosity really......
How many of you do / will be swimming in the SEA in Australia, and using which beaches?
If not, why not?
I know that this may seem like a silly question, and I know there's some "surf dudes" out there who will definately be answering "yes" to this question, but I am always amazed at how few people there are just swimming in the sea when I go down there!
I often go swimming in the sea (well, when I get the chance anyway!) as we don't have a swimming pool, but often when I speak to other people, Aussies included, they say that they never swim in the sea, often quoting reasons such as sharks, jellyfish etc, etc (won't go into too much detail... !)
I can't say that I've seen any sharks yet personally, but I do know several people stung by jellyfish and just hope I never encounter one!
It hasn't put me off yet, but should I be a little more wary? I'm starting to wonder............Do they all know something that I don't? :scared: !
Where will you be swimming this weekend?
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: I do, do you???

Originally Posted by kath n kim
How many of you do / will be swimming in the SEA in Australia, and using which beaches?
If not, why not?
I know that this may seem like a silly question, and I know there's some "surf dudes" out there who will definately be answering "yes" to this question, but I am always amazed at how few people there are just swimming in the sea when I go down there!
I often go swimming in the sea (well, when I get the chance anyway!) as we don't have a swimming pool, but often when I speak to other people, Aussies included, they say that they never swim in the sea, often quoting reasons such as sharks, jellyfish etc, etc (won't go into too much detail... !)
I can't say that I've seen any sharks yet personally, but I do know several people stung by jellyfish and just hope I never encounter one!
It hasn't put me off yet, but should I be a little more wary? I'm starting to wonder............Do they all know something that I don't? :scared: !
I don't tend to swim off the beach. We go across to Moreton Island quite a lot and I like swimming among the wrecks there with the fish etc. I also like to go diving. If I'm going in the sea off the beach it tends to be on a surf beach, wait until I get pushed under a big wave once to many times and then get out Nothing to do with sharks etc, just what seems to happen!!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: I do, do you???

Personally, I use the pools as I enjoy it more. I don't enjoy it having to look out for jellyfish etc. Also for a vain reason - I can't wear my contact lenses in the sea as all the water goes in my face - it's calmer in the pool!

I know someone's gonna slate me for my comment!

If not, why not?
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:10 am
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road

Kath
have not been here that long but yes we have been swimming in the sea at Port Douglas when we were on hols, there were some bluebottles on the beach about 10 in four miles so not too many yet, the beaches near sydney a little cold at the min but it would not stop me, the life guards advise if any stingers or blue bottles are in the area. Also go to the beaches which have shark and stinger nets. Just be careful bluebottles hurt use an ice pack, stingers kill get to a hospital quickly you have 30 mins!!!!!!!!!!

Gary and Terri
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:19 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Yep, we swim quite often now it's warming up.
Lucky we've got so many beaches near us in Sydney. Our favourite for a swim/snorkel is Shelley beach at the south end of Manly beach. If you're lucky you'll see a shark or two down there.

Good for boarding is Queesncliff or Freshwater, on either side of where we live. I wouldn't describe either of us as "surf dudes". I follow what the locals do. If there's lots of themin there then I deem it safe.

There's been lots of blue bottle jellies on the beach recently but I haven't noticed them in the water. The ocean pools near us are good if the sea is too rough. Shame the weather is not looking too bright for the weekend.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If not, why not?
People who live near a beach tend not to have pools (why whould you need one?) so they're used to swimming in the sea and are familiar with the surf etc. And it's not just the sharks and sealife that people should be wary of - rips are far more likely to get you. Most kids growing up around here have been to nippers (junior life saving) from an early age where they're taught about the dangers of the surf and how to spot rips etc.

People who live in outer suburbia are more likely to have pools, be unfamiliar with the surf so avoid it.

Eastern suburbs beaches are swarming with people come the summer. Don't forget that summer's not here yet. The water's far too cold right now for much swimming by the locals. Maybe the few people you see at the beach are the hardy British types - more used to the North Sea.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:30 am
aussie73

l live near the beach and go swimming nearly every day thats hot during summer for the last 30 years and as for blue bottles, jelly fish, sharks etc.
the only thing thats ever bitten me on the beach is someones crazy unleashed dog. The real danger is drowning, your more likely to be struck by lightning at the beach then killed by a shark or someother nasty creature.
l have never seen a shark, few sharks risk going into shallow water where people are swimming, otherwise they would end up being beached.
Your probably just as safe swimming at most popular beaches then at a swimming pool.

Last edited by aussie73; Nov 5th 2004 at 4:41 am.

Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:42 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't swam yet, to cold.
I don't expect to much though anyway, just not a beach person.
Not particulary afraid of sharks, or dangerous stingers, just the idea that I can't see what's in the sea(jellyfish, urchin thingys, crab thingys), and then the sand!! Argh!

I do want to become more a beach type though.
I have a feeling I don't like it, cos the last time we lived near a beach, I was 9, and it was a bay(north west Oz), with lots of icky creatures in the sand, octopusses in the rocks(which I nearly stepped on once..)
Also, I vividly remember being dumped by waves and pulled along the sand when I was younger, maybe that has also put me off.

Since moving away from there, haven't been to many beaches at all. Never had purely beach holidays.

We'll see when it's get hot! Don't have a pool.....
Live about 20 mins drive from Scarborough beach. Wouldn't want to go there though, too busy!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the replies, glad to know it's not just me, being a mad Pommie going swimming in the sea
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:36 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I use to live near Weymouth but never went in the sea then as the best times (weather wise) were when it was full of tourists. Now when I go to Weymouth it is to go diving, so there is no intention of me stop doing that once in Oz.

Having a pool is not high on my priorities when buying a house (in Oz) and not at all whilst renting The sea is a good option me and the little surfer dude/babe (5wks to go ) to get into the Aussie life and it would be rude not to, given the number of beaches Sydney has.