Reload this Page >

I can't get a permit but need a job in NZ

I can't get a permit but need a job in NZ

Old Oct 6th 2004, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Allison Gurney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I can't get a permit but need a job in NZ

Please can anyone help me?

I've come to New Zealand (Wellington) on a tourist visa and would like to stay until March. I need to get some work to fund this but don't seem to be able to get a work permit/visa.

I'm 37 so I can't get the working holiday thing and apparantly my experience/qualifications are not enough to get a permit even if I got a job offer.

I've got 20 years Finance/Admin experience but am prepared to turn my hand to anything (almost!)

Anybody got any suggestions where I can get a job without being arrested or deported? Or how I can get a permit?

Allison
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:06 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can't get a permit but need a job in NZ

Originally Posted by Allison Gurney

I've come to New Zealand (Wellington) on a tourist visa and would like to stay until March. I need to get some work to fund this but don't seem to be able to get a work permit/visa.

I'm 37 so I can't get the working holiday thing and apparantly my experience/qualifications are not enough to get a permit even if I got a job offer.

I've got 20 years Finance/Admin experience but am prepared to turn my hand to anything (almost!)

Anybody got any suggestions where I can get a job without being arrested or deported? Or how I can get a permit?

Allison
I don't know a lot about the way visas work in NZ, but I can confidently predict that if you try and work on a tourist visa and get caught, you'll be deported. You may have to leave the country and apply for some sort of work visa offshore. The points system for 'declarations of interest' is, I think, at an all time low, so now's a good chance to look into the feasibility of applying for a work visa/PR.

Sorry I can't be of more help!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 5:13 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Allison
The rules for getting a work permit are more relaxed than you seem to think. Check out http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...y/generalwork/

If you get a job offer, more than likely you can get a temporary work permit. Your employer just needs to make the right noises about you being the only suitable candidate, the permit is usually issued over the counter when you present your request and proof from the employer.

Getting a temporary work permit is not seen as a big hurdle because it doesn't entitle you to residency.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:39 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Question Re: I can't get a permit but need a job in NZ

Originally Posted by Don
The rules for getting a work permit are more relaxed than you seem to think. Check out http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...y/generalwork/

If you get a job offer, more than likely you can get a temporary work permit. Your employer just needs to make the right noises about you being the only suitable candidate, the permit is usually issued over the counter when you present your request and proof from the employer.

Getting a temporary work permit is not seen as a big hurdle because it doesn't entitle you to residency.
Do you know if there is an Aussie equivalent of this? Ie, can someone (over 40) on an ETA apply for a temporary work permit in Australia?
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Do you know if there is an Aussie equivalent of this? Ie, can someone (over 40) on an ETA apply for a temporary work permit in Australia?
There is an Australian type of 'work permit' called the subclass 457 visa. Information about it is on the DIMIA website.

Why would you want to apply for it from an ETA - Immigration can get very upset if people arrive on an ETA with the intention of staying on and can refuse entry. The right way is to make the application for a 457 from offshore.

Once you turn 45, getting PR in Australia becomes much harder, and without PR you will have to go home at some point. Do bear that in mind.

Jeremy
Old Oct 7th 2004, 5:43 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is an Australian type of 'work permit' called the subclass 457 visa. Information about it is on the DIMIA website.

Why would you want to apply for it from an ETA - Immigration can get very upset if people arrive on an ETA with the intention of staying on and can refuse entry. The right way is to make the application for a 457 from offshore.

Once you turn 45, getting PR in Australia becomes much harder, and without PR you will have to go home at some point. Do bear that in mind.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy. What I had in mind was something which would allow casual employment without being sponsored, etc. I really didn't think there'd be such a thing (outside of the 457 categories), though thought I'd ask anyway!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Allison Gurney is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: I can't get a permit but need a job in NZ

Originally Posted by Don

Thanks Don, Thats just what I needed to hear. I seem to be getting a negative response from Employment Agencies, but I think its just because they can't be bothered with the form filling. I'l trawl through the papers etc and see fi I can get anything independantly. I feel a lot happier now.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 4:05 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Don, Thats just what I needed to hear. I seem to be getting a negative response from Employment Agencies, but I think its just because they can't be bothered with the form filling. I'l trawl through the papers etc and see fi I can get anything independantly. I feel a lot happier now.
The agencies won't be interested because there's no easy/ straightforward money in it for them. IMHO your best route is to find a motivated employer who really wants to give you a job - employer will need to put a wee bit of time in to explain why you are the one. It's not that difficult to put the right gloss on why you are the only suitable candidate, ie they've been trying to find someone for the position for some time and no NZ'er has come along, you are better qualified, you have better experience etc. It's the sort of bull I used to do every day in my last but one job (in Marketing)!