Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I cant believe I'm typing this - WE'RE MOVING TO PERTH!

I cant believe I'm typing this - WE'RE MOVING TO PERTH!

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I cant believe I'm typing this - WE'RE MOVING TO PERTH!

Originally Posted by ukmouse
Hey Geordiebloke... Ocean Reef? Perth? One of the places we've been looking at. I'd welcome any advice on the NOR suburbs. I've also looked at SOR near the riverside (Como areas etc).

Any advice, do's and don't would be greatfully received.

No probs, just PM me any specifics you want to know
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Andrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to all

Hey Geordiebloke... Ocean Reef? Perth? One of the places we've been looking at. I'd welcome any advice on the NOR suburbs. I've also looked at SOR near the riverside (Como areas etc).

Any advice, do's and don't would be greatfully received.

Let me know how you get on with the "NOR" or "SOR" question;

We're undecided on this question. we stayed in Padbury for a few weeks in 2006 then again last year. I do like the idea of having Whitfords shopping centre and Hiliary's harbour on your doorstep.

We also liked the houses on offer around the Butler area but worry that it's a little too far from the city centre. We are staying with friends in Secret Harbour for a couple of weeks in January but don't know whether to look at local houses and schools or look further north.

Not easy this emirating lark is it???

Mark
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Andrews2oz

Not easy this emirating lark is it???

Mark
You got that right!

We'll be renting and I'd prefer to catch the train into the CBD than drive. I'm happy with a 30 minute trip in/out - I also find I wind down after work on the train.

I've looked at NOR because of Joondalup for our daily shopping etc. Not sure if there are stores dotted about the residential areas or not. I suppose we are looking at convenience for everything.

The further NOR the newer the houses I suppose as they expand the area.

In an ideal world I'd like to be no more than a mile walk / cycle from the beach and also be able to cycle / bus to a decent shopping area.

I am the only driver in the family so I get fed up always being behind the wheel and would like to have the option to bus / walk / cycle when I'm out there.

Perhaps the Perth City Planners will allow me to design an area completely around me!!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

You got that right!

We'll be renting and I'd prefer to catch the train into the CBD than drive. I'm happy with a 30 minute trip in/out - I also find I wind down after work on the train.

I've looked at NOR because of Joondalup for our daily shopping etc. Not sure if there are stores dotted about the residential areas or not. I suppose we are looking at convenience for everything.

In an ideal world I'd like to be no more than a mile walk / cycle from the beach and also be able to cycle / bus to a decent shopping area.

I am the only driver in the family so I get fed up always being behind the wheel and would like to have the option to bus / walk / cycle when I'm out there.

Perhaps the Perth City Planners will allow me to design an area completely around me!!
We decided to live NOR, mainly for work reasons, but we have friends and family who live down south.
We looked at Secret Harbour and Baldivis before we bought in Currambine, both are very nice and houses are good value down there, but I thought it was just too far out from the CBD for me.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

You got that right!

Hi ukmouse,

We're NOR - Heathridge, been in Perth for 2 years now & loving it.

Rented initialy in Joondalup & then 6 months in Ocean Reef before buying in heathridge. Ocean Reef being a costal suburb you pay for the Ocean views and in my opion prices are inflated simply for that. Live in a nice street, have nice neighbours, nice house, nice pool etc.

No more than 5 mins by car to:

Joondalup which has pretty much all the shops/banks we need, there's also other supermakets (open 7 days) dotted around (1 in Ocean Reef - less than 3 mins drive - 1 in Connolly - about 2 mins drive & 1 in Beldon - say 5 mins)

The Ocean Reef end of Mullaloo beach - past the kite surfers - very nice (to me)

Edgewater Station (more parking than Joondalup) as I work in the city. Trains get busy but hey - its only a 20 min ride, its cheap & better service than the UK.

Buses arent the best and there not very frequent, you can cycle to the city if you want - it's only 22 kms (give or take).

This area pretty much has everything we want - really are "living the dream" (i know a cliché but an apt one !).

You'll have a blast once you're here....

Last edited by scrubbedexpat001; Nov 24th 2009 at 11:12 am.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Martin72 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also moving to Perth (Woodvale) with my family in 2010. Flights booked for end of Feb.

We are on a 197 visa, but will have to find a job when I get there so should be fun. Also have to get the kids into Schools..

Good luck.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by filcomm
Hi ukmouse,

We're NOR - Heathridge, been in Perth for 2 years now & loving it.

Rented initialy in Joondalup & then 6 months in Ocean Reef before buying in heathridge. Ocean Reef being a costal suburb you pay for the Ocean views and in my opion prices are inflated simply for that. Live in a nice street, have nice neighbours, nice house, nice pool etc.

No more than 5 mins by car to:

Joondalup which has pretty much all the shops/banks we need, there's also other supermakets (open 7 days) dotted around (1 in Ocean Reef - less than 3 mins drive - 1 in Connolly - about 2 mins drive & 1 in Beldon - say 5 mins)

The Ocean Reef end of Mullaloo beach - past the kite surfers - very nice (to me)

Edgewater Station (more parking than Joondalup) as I work in the city. Trains get busy but hey - its only a 20 min ride, its cheap & better service than the UK.

Buses arent the best and there not very frequent, you can cycle to the city if you want - it's only 22 kms (give or take).

This area pretty much has everything we want - really are "living the dream" (i know a cliché but an apt one !).

You'll have a blast once you're here....
Excellent.. off to research Heathridge now - thanks.

...and thanks to all for the replies. Good luck to all who, like us, are moving on out. Hopefully see you over there
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:03 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Connolly which is sandwiched between Geordieblokes Currambine and Fillcomms Heathridge.

Excellent suburb. You don't say if you have kids or not. If you do Connolly PS is excellent. Can't say the same for the high school that covers half the suburb though. Belridge SHS doesn't enjoy the best of reputations so if you are unfortunate like me to live in the wrong half then make sure you make alternative schooling arrangements for high school kids. Ocean Reef SHS covers the other side and I know lots of people who send their kids there and are very happy.

My husband travels to Perth by train and either walks to Joondalup station or gets a bus. Either way he has a journey of around 45 mins door to door.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:42 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I also live in Heathridge, we live there cos its the only place where houses r still affordable lol! Ocean reef and Mullaloo are nice if you have wads of cash!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Excellent.. off to research Heathridge now - thanks.

...and thanks to all for the replies. Good luck to all who, like us, are moving on out. Hopefully see you over there
We lived in Pearsall when we first arrived, then rented down in Ocean Reef for 6 months, before buying our current place in Currambine. I don't think you can go far wrong with the places already mentioned, however I think renting here for 6/12 months is essential to get a feel of where you want to settle.
As mentioned Ocean Reef is more expensive to buy in, hence why we opted for Currambine, but you can get reasonable rentals there.
As far as schools are concerned, well our 11 daughter has been to 2 primary schools here, Hocking and Beaumaris and both are very good. The consensus seems to be that state primary schools are generally very good, but that high schools aren't that great, bar a few exceptions.
Our littleun is down for Ocean Reef SHS, which I've heard mixed reports about, so not wanting to take any chances we decided to put her name down for a local private school, which we never could have afforded to do in the UK.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:23 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Its meant to be really boring in Perth apparently
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:06 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Well, it is in Australia, after all.......
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

If you've no kids then I would suggest Subiaco or Leederville - very close to the city and some decent cafes, restaurants and nightlife. If you prefer SOR then Como or South Perth would be my suggestions.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
I also live in Heathridge, we live there cos its the only place where houses r still affordable lol! Ocean reef and Mullaloo are nice if you have wads of cash!
Yeah, same style house "over the road" in Ocean Reef costs 100% more than the place we bought in Heathridge and not everywhere in OR has Ocean Views.

Whereabouts in "Teesside" are you from? I'm a Darlo boy...
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
You are the lucky one arn't you....in the vibrant city of them all....arn't you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.