Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I can't afford to eat in Australia

I can't afford to eat in Australia

Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can't afford to eat in Australia

All well and good but I can't get a full weekly shop at Aldi. My local one (still about 8kms away) is too small which means having to faff about doing half a shop there, half a shop in woolies/coles, extras in fruit and veg, butchers etc (i know that doesn't tally 100% but humour me I've just knocked off a few glasses of champers for vally day ).

I'd love to be save the cash (hate the 'two horse town' scenario here) but by the time you've driven out there - in terms of petrol and the extra time (of your free time) - how much have you really saved??? You'd spend your whole week food shopping!!!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rabsody
All well and good but I can't get a full weekly shop at Aldi. My local one (still about 8kms away) is too small which means having to faff about doing half a shop there, half a shop in woolies/coles, extras in fruit and veg, butchers etc (i know that doesn't tally 100% but humour me I've just knocked off a few glasses of champers for vally day ).

I'd love to be save the cash (hate the 'two horse town' scenario here) but by the time you've driven out there - in terms of petrol and the extra time (of your free time) - how much have you really saved??? You'd spend your whole week food shopping!!!
The Aldi closest to me is next to Woolies and Coles, so I don't have that problem. It's full of pensioners looking to save a few bucks so they have extra to play pockies at the RSL.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:05 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Lol as long as your stagging distance

or gillysm could give me a life home, shes spitting distance.

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
will do hun, red or white wine ?

If all goes to plan, will have a small gathering if thats ok with you, round ours
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
The Aldi closest to me is next to Woolies and Coles, so I don't have that problem. It's full of pensioners looking to save a few bucks so they have extra to play pockies at the RSL.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:58 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Lol as long as your stagging distance

or gillysm could give me a life home, shes spitting distance.
pmsl !!!!

COntract went on it last night !! But theres a 72 hr sunshine clause, so will be on tenterhooks until Tues Morning !!! Grrrr.

Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:21 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
pmsl !!!!

COntract went on it last night !! But theres a 72 hr sunshine clause, so will be on tenterhooks until Tues Morning !!! Grrrr.

wtf is a sunshine clause ???
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
Aldi rocks. Excellent prices and excellent products - I particularly like the fact that you can get European chocolate there.
and Haribo's
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:48 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

TimberFloorAus.....or whatever you call yourself ive been reading your posts and youre hardly the most socially minded perosn in the forum are you??
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:53 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yes of course they do but I don't like shopping with them. I am a snob and preferred to do my shopping in Tesco!
Proper snobs DO NOT shop in Tesco!!!! Waitrose is the supermarket of choice!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Not a supermarket but M&S for me. I love there food.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:42 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Tell me what you think of ALDI supermarkets. Any good/bad experiences? Most of the products seems to be different brands than what I'm used too- any worth buying?

I recently started buying only my produce from them - OMG are the prices for real.

3kg bag of oranges = $1.99 at Aldi.

3kg bag of oranges = $5.99 at Woolies.

3kg bag of oranges = $4.50 my local fruit shop.

Mushrooms = $5.98 a kg at Aldi

Mushrooms = $13.99 a kg at Woolies.

Mushroom = $10.99 a kg at my local fruit shop.

Wish I'd discovered ALDI months ago.
Christ!
Go to the market...
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Agree
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:32 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Use Aldi and Lidl over here.....prices are just way outta control

Ems x
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cufc
TimberFloorAus.....or whatever you call yourself ive been reading your posts and youre hardly the most socially minded perosn in the forum are you??
I am not sure about that - but he does have a tendency to pass a little water when guffawing - which I find rather disgusting. I would see a doc about that or try some pelvic floor exercises.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:30 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
waitrose! Waitrose!! no dear boy proper snobs go to Harrods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.