Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I brought my tv and it works over here

I brought my tv and it works over here

Old May 16th 2004, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Talking I brought my tv and it works over here

Just to let you know, there was always a big debate, and I was going to leave ours at home even though it is a new tv.

Well we bought a video/dvd combo and it works fine once it is tuned into that.

So if like us you have a good telly, bring it and tune it through a ozzy video. For those who are interested it is a panasonic TV

C xx
Old May 16th 2004, 2:36 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yea we got a brill picture here in nz too but no sound ... we opted to get sky tv and that sorted out the sound for us, Our tv is a rubbish make but relatively new and big so we thought it was worth the risk of bringing it
Old May 16th 2004, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Helen C is an unknown quantity at this point

So you are watching TV through the video?

We have a rather expensive Panasonic TV that I really don't like the idea of virtually giving away in one of those 'Moving to Oz Garage Sale' events............ I'm sure you guys out there know what I mean.

Mind you would probably take it anyway and the kids can have a posh box to view their videos, dvds, play X box on. Am I right in thinking that all those products are on a different format in Oz........?
Old May 16th 2004, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We brought tvs with us and they work well tuned through a dvd which you can buy for as little as $69 out here!

All your videos and dvd players will work as well. Though you will have to hack your dvd to make it multi region so you can play aus ones on it as well. We did this to ours and it plays all regions now. IT was only a cheapo we bought from Asda.

If you don't want to buy a dvd player out here just bring the tv's for kids to play their Playstation on, at least they can't sit up all night and watch tv in their rooms then!
Old May 16th 2004, 11:06 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Helen C

Mind you would probably take it anyway and the kids can have a posh box to view their videos, dvds, play X box on. Am I right in thinking that all those products are on a different format in Oz........?
DVD is the only different format though you can pick up multi region DVDs over here really cheap. You will need the Oz video if you want sound though. Theres loads of threads on here about audio visual stuff.
Old May 16th 2004, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

elbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I brought my tv and it works over here

Originally posted by Carrianne
Just to let you know, there was always a big debate, and I was going to leave ours at home even though it is a new tv.

Well we bought a video/dvd combo and it works fine once it is tuned into that.

So if like us you have a good telly, bring it and tune it through a ozzy video. For those who are interested it is a panasonic TV

C xx
Hmmm, i've been thinking about this one. I have a TV/Video combination and i'm not sure if it will work or not. I've tried a few searches and so far zilch. Anyone have an idea?
Old May 17th 2004, 4:37 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: I brought my tv and it works over here

Originally posted by elbow
Hmmm, i've been thinking about this one. I have a TV/Video combination and i'm not sure if it will work or not. I've tried a few searches and so far zilch. Anyone have an idea?
Our Philips TV worked without any mods...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=225570

What u got?
Old May 17th 2004, 5:43 am
wombat42

After you have watched Australian TV in a few months you will wish it did'nt work.

Old May 17th 2004, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by wombat42
After you have watched Australian TV in a few months you will wish it did'nt work.

LOL
Old May 17th 2004, 6:21 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Apart from cricket, rugby, tennis and Australian Rules, Australian TV is full of garbage.

Oh, add re-runs of Hogan's Heroes and Get Smart to that as well.

Old May 17th 2004, 8:24 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

lol yes and the nz tv is rubbish too
Old May 17th 2004, 8:33 am
wombat42

The Australian TV stations all show old American Crap TV programes that no one in America ever watched because they
can buy these programes for next to nothing and know people will
still watch them because there is nothing else on TV to watch.

Old May 17th 2004, 9:08 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

The Australian TV stations all show old American Crap TV programes that no one in America ever watched because they
can buy these programes for next to nothing and know people will
still watch them because there is nothing else on TV to watch.
Don't bet on it. Somewhere here in America, there's probably 10 fan clubs each devoted to these shows you say no one ever saw.

Like Pink Floyd said "Got thirteen channels of sh*t on the TV to choose from"

And that's just free-to-air TV.