Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am seriously thinking of cancelling my flights!

Wikiposts

I am seriously thinking of cancelling my flights!

Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:17 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am seriously thinking of cancelling my flights!

Originally Posted by hereandthere
As for Aussie houses - yes they are seriously overvalued, but 1) you get a lot more for your money in Aus than UK, and 2) imminent Aus interest rate rises will soon wipe that over-value off.
If point 2) were true (and the first part almost certainly is according to RBA) then why is housing market showing signs of recovery and houses prices going up again?
I know some reports say its going to get worse as first buyers now back out, but some say recovery.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
why is housing market showing signs of recovery and houses prices going up again?
...I'm not saying it is, but what you are describing could be a classic 'bull trap'?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:54 am
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

We are in the same boat as some people on this thread. We have virtually given up hope on moving to Oz. Which has been our 5 year plan and it looks like it has gone of the rails, which is a big disappointment. We will get our visa stamped as late as possible and leave the option open, obviously the currency is a big issue but our main problem is the red tape with getting a full electrical licence, even though I have been an electrician for 11 years. Unfortunately your only classed as an apprentice for 12 months and by the looks of it, its diffucult enough getting a job as an electrician, no chance as an apprentice.........
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
...I'm not saying it is, but what you are describing could be a classic 'bull trap'?
Now you're talking! I think we are in the biggest bull trap for generations. There is no way houses can continues to "recover" at this rate because if they continue to go up at their current rate a single housein Australia would be worth more than the enture Aussie GDP in about 150 years.

Now, this cannot happen - so when's the crash? It's either now or later, because it is going to have to happen.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Hi,

I have spent around £2k on going to Oz so far, i am going in six weeks, if it gets worse, or stays at 1.9, then yep i will cancel, not worth it!

Australia, can wait for me, too expensive, houses, LOL, $500k average ok!

Australia lives in its own universe for me! I will look again when times look better, if they stay so out of sync, the UK is not that bad, the emigration factor has gone!

Sorry Expats, but Oz has priced itself out! Sooty
$500k is the average perhaps but that doesnt mean there isnt more affordable housing out there! A 4 year old house 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and garage selling here for $$340k!! Guess it all depends where you wanna be and if you expect to have that swimming pool and 2 4wheel drive cars when you arrive.

I believe that to make the move to Oz successful it takes far more than money alone. It takes a fighting spirit and a positive attitude. You need to be prepared to work in Chicken Treat if it means putting a roof over your heads and you need to be able to keep getting up again after the knock backs and the hard times getting to where you want to be. Its bloody hard work physically and emotionally and having very limited finances has in my opinion been the least of my worries.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
A 4 year old house 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and garage selling here for $$340k!!
And your neighbours will be aborigines

Originally Posted by daunted
You need to be prepared to work in Chicken Treat if it means putting a roof over your heads.
Living the dream!

But I do agree with your point that you need a positive mental attitude.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Living the dream!

But I do agree with your point that you need a positive mental attitude.
LOL nah is actually a real nice area (has to be cos i live there ) I agree workign in Chicken Treat may not be living the dream but it so long as it pays wages then it gotta be better than nothing hey. thankfully i havent had to join their ranks but always said i would if needed I have seen so many people hanging out for their 'perfect job' thinking they would walk in at the same position as they left in UK and they are STILL out of work, and the whole time they are out of work they are becoming less employable
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

It makes you laugh doesn't it?

OP, like all of us in the midst of the worst economic crisis to hit the globe in many years and he is worried about.......................the exchange rate.

Just thank your lucky stars that you have some money to exchange, at whatever rate. Many have lost everything, but hey, in true Brit style you moan about the exchange rate.

Just stay in the UK, and wait 2 years, you'll regret not taking the rate as it is tody and your sterling will be further devalued.

The Pound is probably trading at the best rate you will get for the next few years compared to the AUD, because everyone, except people still in the UK can not fathom the fact that Sterling is toast.

You'll wait a long time and regret not moving for the sake of a few measly dollars, but good luck to you.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
How very dare Aboriginal people want to live in a nice pommie area
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hino
How very dare Aboriginal people want to live in a nice pommie area
The cheek of the buggers.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: I am seriously thinking of cancelling my flights!

People are complaining about the fact that their currency is worth nearly twice as much as the currency of the country to which they are moving? This is a bad thing?

The big issue is unemployment. I'm worried about my chances of finding work in Australia, but we're committed to the move, so I'll just have to take whatever turns up.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Sep 9th 2009 at 10:02 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
People are complaining about the fact that their currency is worth nearly twice as much as the currency of the country to which they are moving? This is a bad thing?

The big issue is unemployment. I'm worried about my chances of finding work in Australia, but we're committed to the move, so I'll just have to take whatever turns up.
Vash what's your trade/skillset?

Unemployment is an issue but where there's a will there's a way.

Personally I'm not in the job I want to be currently, but things are on the up and Australia is a better bet than a lot of countries to lead the way when things do eventually equalise.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Unemployment rates out today

Unemployed Males Looking for full-time work in Australia:
Jun-2009 6.0% 312,638
Jul-2009 6.1% 316,678
Aug-2009 5.8% 302,673

State figures:
Actual
Unemployed Males Looking for full-time work in Queensland
Jun-2009 5.9% 63,568
Jul-2009 5.3% 57,713
Aug-2009 4.9% 53,364

Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Jun-2009 6.0% 312,638
Jul-2009 6.1% 316,678
Aug-2009 5.8% 302,673

State figures:
Actual
Jun-2009 5.9% 63,568
Jul-2009 5.3% 57,713
Aug-2009 4.9% 53,364
Is there a seperate list........males and females?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Jun-2009 6.0% 312,638
Jul-2009 6.1% 316,678
Aug-2009 5.8% 302,673

State figures:
Actual
Jun-2009 5.9% 63,568
Jul-2009 5.3% 57,713
Aug-2009 4.9% 53,364
Are you suggesting a different figure for males and females combined?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.