Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am really upset and don't know what to do

I am really upset and don't know what to do

Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default I am really upset and don't know what to do

Please please can anyone help me?... i posted this on the immigration site but some from here may not go there... heres a link

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=217570
Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:35 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I cannot help you unless you can prove that you really are you

Seriously, I suspect you will need to get stat decs. Get them from friends/family/professionals who know the situation.

Or - what about your passport? what name is that in? Do you have an old passport in your original name?

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:38 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Or your old drivers licence.... Any 'official' document will do. After all, your deed poll got lost, dinnit?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by DagBoy
Sorry, I cannot help you unless you can prove that you really are you

Seriously, I suspect you will need to get stat decs. Get them from friends/family/professionals who know the situation.

Or - what about your passport? what name is that in? Do you have an old passport in your original name?

Cheers,

DagBoy

It is me....honest it is!!!

My passport is in my new married name (we only been married 3yrs)
When we got married i had to put down my ex partners surname because legally that is how i had been known for the previous 16yrs... but my birth certificate obviously had my original birth surname.

I am still friendly with my ex and i am sure he would write a letter to confirm all this but will it be good enough?.... at least you have given me some hope...thanx DB
Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:43 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you assumed your ex-partners name rather than taking it through marriage? Can't see how this is going to be a big deal at all, just tell them your circumstances and ask for what evidence will be sufficient.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by jayr
I presume you assumed your ex-partners name rather than taking it through marriage? Can't see how this is going to be a big deal at all, just tell them your circumstances and ask for what evidence will be sufficient.

Yes, thats correct.

I thought that they would need somethiing like confomation of name change by deed poll or something...which i dont have...

I guess i'll have to go through the torture of phoning them tomorrow...that should take up most of my day!!!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:13 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Yes, thats correct.

I thought that they would need somethiing like confomation of name change by deed poll or something...which i dont have...

I guess i'll have to go through the torture of phoning them tomorrow...that should take up most of my day!!!
you would be best to phone them.
but dont be too shocked if you see the same question on here tomorow (someone from the DIMIA trying to find the answer)
good luck though
soapy
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Dilly's is an unknown quantity at this point

I was adopted but never legally and had no proof of name changes that had taken place. I too found it difficult to prove that I was who I said I was. I nearly got refused from having a passport but eventually obtained one (Legally that is!!)

I had to prove for immigration purposes why I changed names etc etc, and all they wanted was a declaration from me and another member of the family, both done via a solicitor. I thought this would be a big problem, but it wasnt. We are all now due to fly to Brizzie on 12 May.

I bet you find a similar scenario.

Good luck
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, thats correct.

Just a question: as you're already in Adelaide, wouldn't it be easier to go to the office and deal with a person face to face? I usually find that better than having somebody on the phone?

good luck

sashimi
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:34 am

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

[

Hi

I've read from other posts if you get stat decs done it will be fine.

Whenever you can't get what DIMIA want you can get a stat dec done and they are fine about it.People have done this for references and for tracing a childs father for permission to leave the country, if they don't know where the father is.

I really think you will not have a problem.

Nikki x
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:45 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
I too had a different surname when I married my husband from what it was at birth. I took my step fathers surname by use only not deed poll. I did a stat dec / sworn statement explaining the why's and wherefore's and it was accepted

Sworn statement.

I, .........., of, ......................... declare that:

I was born ........, my mother ........divorced my father ......... in 1968 and remarried in August 1972.

Her new husband was called ..................
I subsequently changed my surname to (insert stepfathers name) in 1973, by use only.

I used the surname ........... until I married ............on ..................

Signed……â€Â� �………â €¦â€¦â€¦â₠¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â� �………â €¦â€¦â€¦â₠¬Â¦Ã¢â‚¬Â¦.

Sworn at ............solicitors, 0f................ on this day of ..........................

I didnt supply any other info from other family members etc and it was ok.

hope this helps
Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

WOW..thanx for the advice everyone...i will sleep a bit easier tonite.

Sashimi... i agree with you that it would be far easier to pop down to Adelaide processing department (which is only 10 mins drive from my house) BUT, i have already tried this avenue for a previous hiccup, and was told categorically that no one is allowed to be seen by an officer in person. The reason being that it is considered unfair if you live in Adleaide to be able to process things quicker than a person overseas!!....i can see their point to some degree,but i feel its a bit OTT, especially as by clearing ours up quickly they can get on to the next one faster!!!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

WOW..thanx for the advice everyone...i will sleep a bit easier tonite.

Sashimi... i agree with you that it would be far easier to pop down to Adelaide processing department (which is only 10 mins drive from my house) BUT, i have already tried this avenue for a previous hiccup, and was told categorically that no one is allowed to be seen by an officer in person. The reason being that it is considered unfair if you live in Adleaide to be able to process things quicker than a person overseas!!....i can see their point to some degree,but i feel its a bit OTT, especially as by clearing ours up quickly they can get on to the next one faster!!!
PP
This sort of thing must have happened many times.Panicking will not help.
Contact them and find out what you need to do.I am sure they will have dealt with it before.

Good luck
G
Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you already realise you need the full birth certificate. As Richard Gregan stated in the immigration forum a stat dec and copies of your previous passports and marriage certs will help.

DIMIA must see this time and time again.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:09 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi PP,

As others have said, I think DIMIA will accept stat decs for situations where there is no other documentation available.

I know how it feels though when you realise there's a problem like this and the panic sets in that you might be refused on a technicality.

Hopefully you have confirmed by now that you're ok and are feeling totally calm again!

Take care,

Elaine M

PS: Did you get my PMs last week?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.