Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am not a number....

I am not a number....

Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am not a number....

.......I am a free lion.

Personal I.D. is required for various things in Aus so I would suggest you get a photo driving licence and a nat ins card if you don't have them already.

Medicare registration needs proof that you were a UK resident before coming to Aus. Passport or visa letters were not enough. Nat insurance card was.

In most cases a passport and driving licence is enough but sometimes you also need utility bills and bank statements.

For example ID is needed when renting or buying a car and when taking a rental property.

Come prepared friends.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:27 pm
PommieLeague

Default Re: I am not a number....

This is whats coming next:
VeriChipâ„¢

VeriChip is a miniaturized, implantable radio frequency identification device (RFID) that has the potential to be used in a variety of security, financial, and other applications. About the size of a grain of rice, each VeriChip product contains a unique verification number and will be available in several formats. The verification number is captured by briefly passing a proprietary scanner over the VeriChip. A small amount of radio frequency energy passes from the scanner energizing the dormant VeriChip, which then emits a radio frequency signal transmitting the verification number.

Security Identification

In the security field, the company is actively developing applications for VeriChip in a variety of security, defense, homeland security and secure-access applications. These opportunities include using VeriChip to control authorized access to government installations and private-sector buildings, nuclear power plants, national research laboratories, correctional facilities, and sensitive transportation resources. VeriChip can enhance airport security, airline security, cruise ship security, intelligent transportation and port congestion management. In these markets, VeriChip could function as a stand-alone, tamper-proof personal verification technology or it could operate in conjunction with other security technologies such as standard ID badges and advanced biometric devices (i.e. retina scanners, thumbprint readers or face recognition devices). The Company recently unveiled VeriPass(tm) and VeriTag(tm), which will allow airport and port security personnel to link a VeriChip subscriber to his or her luggage (both during check-in and on the airplane), flight manifest logs and airline or law enforcement software databases. The concept of using VeriChip as a means for secure access could also be extended to include a range of consumer products such as PCs, laptops, cars, cell phones, and even homes and apartments.

Financial Identification

In the financial arena, the company sees enormous, untapped potential for VeriChip as a personal verification technology that could help to curb identity theft and prevent fraudulent access to banking (especially via ATMs) and credit card accounts. VeriChip's tamper-proof, personal verification technology would provide banking and credit card customers with the added protection of knowing their accounts could not be accessed unless they themselves initiated -- and were physically present during -- the transaction.

How VeriChip Works

An implantable, 12mm by 2.1mm radio frequency device, VeriChip is about the size of the point of a typical ballpoint pen. It contains a unique verification number. Utilizing an external scanner, radio frequency energy passes through the skin energizing the dormant VeriChip, which then emits a radio frequency signal containing the verification number. The number is displayed by the scanner and transmitted to a secure data storage site by authorized personnel via telephone or Internet.

Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:47 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lathlain
This is whats coming next:
scary
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:07 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
.......I am a free lion.

Personal I.D. is required for various things in Aus so I would suggest you get a photo driving licence and a nat ins card if you don't have them already.

Medicare registration needs proof that you were a UK resident before coming to Aus. Passport or visa letters were not enough. Nat insurance card was.

In most cases a passport and driving licence is enough but sometimes you also need utility bills and bank statements.

For example ID is needed when renting or buying a car and when taking a rental property.

Come prepared friends.
Thanks for that Bix.

I know my NI number,lost my card several years ago.

Does anybody have any idea how i go about getting a replacement card? & how long would it take to recieve it?

I have a few letters with my NI number on them,would that be enough proof if i dont recieve my replacement in time?

Change of plan,we could be leaving in 2wks time!

Thanks for any help.

Donna.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Thanks for that Bix.

I know my NI number,lost my card several years ago.

Does anybody have any idea how i go about getting a replacement card? & how long would it take to recieve it?

I have a few letters with my NI number on them,would that be enough proof if i dont recieve my replacement in time?

Change of plan,we could be leaving in 2wks time!

Thanks for any help.

Donna.

I was going to ask that question too donna, I know my NI number off by heart but lost the card ages ago.
Id also like to know how to get a new one.

blimey donna, 2 weeks time, fantastic!

Trish
xx
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:02 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
I was going to ask that question too donna, I know my NI number off by heart but lost the card ages ago.
Id also like to know how to get a new one.

blimey donna, 2 weeks time, fantastic!

Trish
xx

We were planning off in just over 3wks, but bloody MIL problems!

Families eh !!

Donna.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

We were planning off in just over 3wks, but bloody MIL problems!

Families eh !!

Donna.
yep, bloody families, drive you insane!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jimtrish
yep, bloody families, drive you insane!
Lol!! Not funny though is it

Donna.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:20 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
.......I am a free lion.

Come prepared friends.
Hey Bix - where did you have problems?

I've hired a car just on my driving licence, got my medicare card just on my passport. The medicare website even states the only ID needed is your passport - Medicare registration Just rock up there a week after you've arrived and it's all on their computers
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lol!! Not funny though is it

Donna.

jims lot are quite simply loopy! one minute they are happy for us, but then when it gets serious (job secured) they decide we are being stupid etc. :scared:
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by mlbonner

I've hired a car just on my driving licence, got my medicare card just on my passport. The medicare website even states the only ID needed is your passport - Medicare registration Just rock up there a week after you've arrived and it's all on their computers
Thanks for that MLB

Donna.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:25 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Thanks for that MLB

Donna.

Anything for the Dime Bar lady
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:36 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner

I've hired a car just on my driving licence, got my medicare card just on my passport. The medicare website even states the only ID needed is your passport - http://www.hic.gov.au/CA256976001D0618/Lookup/PDF_LANGUAGES2/$file/english_medicare.pdf Just rock up there a week after you've arrived and it's all on their computers
Hi ML,

It was at the Stocklands Medicare centre in Cairns.

Mmmmmmm........maybe it's because I'm on a temp visa that the extra is required......you know us 457'ers are "unclean".

Thinking about some alternative UK ID I guess pension statement, P45, tax return or payslips should all count.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:39 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Bix
Hi ML,

It was at the Stocklands Medicare centre in Cairns.

Mmmmmmm........maybe it's because I'm on a temp visa that the extra is required......you know us 457'ers are "unclean".

Thinking about some alternative UK ID I guess pension statement, P45, tax return or payslips should all count.

Ah, maybe. I've had some confused people due to my temp. spouse visa status as well!

A bank statement should count as ID on those lines as well then.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:18 pm
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

I got Medicare and Bank accounts setup easier than the missus who is Australian. A UK passport here seems more valuable than an Aussie one!

Must be the temp thing Bixster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.