i am mad!!!!

Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice
Default i am mad!!!!

we were getting a very small amount something like £34 per week of family tax credits, we have in every financial situation, change in circumstance, down to the last penny been totally totally honest with the inland revenue, i gave them at least 1 months notice that we were emigrating. every time that i had phoned them i asked that if all the information and what we were entitled to correct as i didnt want to end up in debt with them and they on all ocassions said yes.

we put a claim in for tax rebate (p85), gave the address that we were living and instead of a tidy little cheque through the post we have had a tidy little bill of £1091 for overpayment on tax credits to say i am mad is an understatement. we put the p85 in 3 months ago and not heard a sausage from them except this bloody bill.

has anyone else had a similar experience and can i offer (if this bill is correct) to pay them a measily amount every month as i really would begrudingly pay it back. would they pursue us in oz to you reckon??? would we be arrested in heathrow when we go for a visit?? will they be charging interest???

any advise would be appreicated if someone has had a similar experience.

loopyloo2
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:33 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i am mad!!!!

The tax credit department of the Inland Revenue are famous for getting their calculations wrong! Therefore, the first thing I'd do is check that the calculation is correct and that you really do owe them the money. If all they have done is send you a bill, ask them to send you the calculation it is based on.

If you really do owe them the money, yes tell them you will pay by monthly installments of £x (if you can't afford to pay it in one go).

As for not paying it at all: I wouldn't recommend that. The Inland Revenue have incredible powers and they would not let the debt go. Non payment of taxes is a criminal offence and if you were convicted that could lead to all kinds of problems you wouldn't want.

But first things first: check their calculation!

Gina
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:49 am
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of
Angry Re: i am mad!!!!

Originally Posted by loopyloo2
we were getting a very small amount something like £34 per week of family tax credits, we have in every financial situation, change in circumstance, down to the last penny been totally totally honest with the inland revenue, i gave them at least 1 months notice that we were emigrating. every time that i had phoned them i asked that if all the information and what we were entitled to correct as i didnt want to end up in debt with them and they on all ocassions said yes.

we put a claim in for tax rebate (p85), gave the address that we were living and instead of a tidy little cheque through the post we have had a tidy little bill of £1091 for overpayment on tax credits to say i am mad is an understatement. we put the p85 in 3 months ago and not heard a sausage from them except this bloody bill.

has anyone else had a similar experience and can i offer (if this bill is correct) to pay them a measily amount every month as i really would begrudingly pay it back. would they pursue us in oz to you reckon??? would we be arrested in heathrow when we go for a visit?? will they be charging interest???

any advise would be appreicated if someone has had a similar experience.

loopyloo2
this is going to be a very big scandal in the years to come - when pray god there is a change in government and hence no cover ups, that are going on at the moment

we too were `over-paid` around a thousand pounds which we had to repay bit by bit - colleagues at wife's were also over paid around a thousand pounds --- NOTE THE SIMILIARAITY - ~~~~ THOUSAND POUNDS ~~~~~ how is it that there is around the country lots of people of all differing circumstances that all have been `over-paid` virtually the same amount !!!!! This is bullS@*T

You / me / everybody has been done over big time

as you being nabed at the airport --

in the next few years, almost certainly after the next election and not before for obvious reasons, there is going to be a VERY large rationalisation with-in the Revenue service in the UK - Tax offices closed down and an awful lot
tax bods at all levels out of job... the system has collapsed already, despite what you are told and believe me it is going to get very much worse... so I wouldn`t worry too much about getting a bill at the airport cause in two years time there probably will not be any one left in the revenue service to hand you a bill.. (even if the bill is wrong in the first place!)
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:51 am
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of

`THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE` !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:55 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougggy

It *is* possible to check calculations. I know because working in a Citizens Advice Bureau one day a week, I've checked quite a few poeple's calculations. If you write to the Tax Credit Office they will eventually send you their calculation and it is then very straightforward to check it.

Gina
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:01 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked in the public sector for a number of years, it is your right as a UK (tax paying) resident to know what you are being charge and why....the name of the game is however get a particular bod's name and be tenacious and resilient! Mmmh
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice

i have phoned them today and i went absolutely ballistic on the phone because i have been totally upfront with them, it doesnt pay to be honest in the uk you just keep getting shit on, no wonder people are leaving in their droves, the lazy layabouts just get richer and lazier, and the people that work get penalised for the inland revenue's cock ups

i am really on my soap box now

loopy
this is going to be a very big scandal in the years to come - when pray god there is a change in government and hence no cover ups, that are going on at the moment

we too were `over-paid` around a thousand pounds which we had to repay bit by bit - colleagues at wife's were also over paid around a thousand pounds --- NOTE THE SIMILIARAITY - ~~~~ THOUSAND POUNDS ~~~~~ how is it that there is around the country lots of people of all differing circumstances that all have been `over-paid` virtually the same amount !!!!! This is bullS@*T

You / me / everybody has been done over big time

as you being nabed at the airport --

in the next few years, almost certainly after the next election and not before for obvious reasons, there is going to be a VERY large rationalisation with-in the Revenue service in the UK - Tax offices closed down and an awful lot
tax bods at all levels out of job... the system has collapsed already, despite what you are told and believe me it is going to get very much worse... so I wouldn`t worry too much about getting a bill at the airport cause in two years time there probably will not be any one left in the revenue service to hand you a bill.. (even if the bill is wrong in the first place!)
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:03 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopyloo2
i have phoned them today and i went absolutely ballistic on the phone because i have been totally upfront with them, it doesnt pay to be honest in the uk you just keep getting shit on, no wonder people are leaving in their droves, the lazy layabouts just get richer and lazier, and the people that work get penalised for the inland revenue's cock ups

i am really on my soap box now

loopy

All public sector employees and public servants have a very strong understanding of hierarchy...always go the next level, Supervisor, Department Manager etc etc
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:05 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
It *is* possible to check calculations. I know because working in a Citizens Advice Bureau one day a week, I've checked quite a few poeple's calculations. If you write to the Tax Credit Office they will eventually send you their calculation and it is then very straightforward to check it.

Gina
i was overpaid in 2003/4 i wrote to them and told them about the change in circumstances. they kept paying me i wrote and phoned and begged them to stop paying me anything at all as i knew i was being overpaid. but they said this was not possible as i was entitled to something and therefore they could not stop paying (how bizarre is that). at the end of the year i owed them approx £1000.00. i wrote and ccomplained twice got a standard letter back and i have now contacted the ombudsmen. this has been going on for months, although the amount is in dispute they are still trying to chase me for it. luckily i am entitled to £ 40 something a month which they are withholding toward this bill.
They make me so angry because i followed their procedure as regards notifying them of the change it was their inincompetence in sorting it out quick enough that led to the debt.
Luckily i have all the cocorrespondencend i will not let it lie
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

If the overpayment goes unpaid, the outstanding amount will sit with on file forever as an overpayment of entitlement. If you was to ever go back and claim ant benefits.............or when you reach retirement age and claim your retirement pension, the amout will be offset and deducted weekly until the debt is cleared.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:19 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

We have had similar problems with tax credits...theyre a nightmare..
one issue was we 'fell off the system' on a Wednesday night! every other day we were on file but apparently fell off??? so didnt receive any money but their system told them it was being paid...that took alot of ranting to resolve!
and although i always kept them informed of our change of circumstances..job change/salary change/pay rises etc...some muppet put our assessment in the self employed pile and left it there...instead of updating ours in the Sept they left it til the Jan when they did the self employed peoples assessments...guess what we owed them approx £1000....
i disputed it and argued for months, they didnt/wouldnt supply a detailed explanation as to how they had cocked up, dispite appeals etc we had to pay it back, they took it out of our next years entitlement....but even though i keep them up to date still i always worry theyre going to present us with a massive bill next year when we want to emmigrate!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:38 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by katsmajic
We have had similar problems with tax credits...theyre a nightmare..
one issue was we 'fell off the system' on a Wednesday night! every other day we were on file but apparently fell off??? so didnt receive any money but their system told them it was being paid...that took alot of ranting to resolve!
and although i always kept them informed of our change of circumstances..job change/salary change/pay rises etc...some muppet put our assessment in the self employed pile and left it there...instead of updating ours in the Sept they left it til the Jan when they did the self employed peoples assessments...guess what we owed them approx £1000....
i disputed it and argued for months, they didnt/wouldnt supply a detailed explanation as to how they had cocked up, dispite appeals etc we had to pay it back, they took it out of our next years entitlement....but even though i keep them up to date still i always worry theyre going to present us with a massive bill next year when we want to emmigrate!

WELL I DON'T BLXXdy BELIEVE IT!!! I have just collected the post and it's from the f-ing Inland Revenue!!! I owe them £171.90 because my employer has not changed my tax code to one with reimburseable mileage. They will claim it back from April 2007.

It does make me chuckle when people on this site complain about the the high rate of tax in Oz, I already pay 40% and then (I think) 11% on NI, even with the tax rate in Oz, medicare and private health insurance I'll be about the same if not better off.