Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am gonna eat worms!!!

I am gonna eat worms!!!

Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:31 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default I am gonna eat worms!!!

Does any one in Oz have worm factory in the garden? When I left Oz in 2000 it was an industry that was just starting out. The idea of it is to buy a ready made worm farm like the "Can O Worms" and put left overs, food scraps in them and the worms eat everything you put out. They can eat half their body weight each day and turn everything they eat to pure compost. A kilo of worms can get rid of a tidy bit of waste a week. When I got back to UK I got 2 old plastic tubs and made my own farms, my 3 sons love putting the scraps out and in 6 months time when they have comsumed everything in the bin you use it for potting compost. Have even sold a few bags of worm manure on local markets.
I just wondered if it is still a popular thing to do in OZ. I believe in recycling and cutting down on waste. Someone also sent me a worm recipe, you have to purge the worms first and then you can bake them and make cakes out of them Not something I am about to try now or ever.
Attached Thumbnails I am gonna eat worms!!!-canoworms.jpg  
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:36 am
WBB

my father used to do this when i was a wee lad and it really does work.

them worms will eat anything, and it is really good "green" thing to do.

dont fancy a worm omlette though

Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:37 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: I am gonna eat worms!!!

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Does any one in Oz have worm factory in the garden? When I left Oz in 2000 it was an industry that was just starting out. The idea of it is to buy a ready made worm farm like the "Can O Worms" and put left overs, food scraps in them and the worms eat everything you put out. They can eat half their body weight each day and turn everything they eat to pure compost. A kilo of worms can get rid of a tidy bit of waste a week. When I got back to UK I got 2 old plastic tubs and made my own farms, my 3 sons love putting the scraps out and in 6 months time when they have comsumed everything in the bin you use it for potting compost. Have even sold a few bags of worm manure on local markets.
I just wondered if it is still a popular thing to do in OZ. I believe in recycling and cutting down on waste. Someone also sent me a worm recipe, you have to purge the worms first and then you can bake them and make cakes out of them Not something I am about to try now or ever.
I had one over here for a bit, but mine was homemade and created for cheap fishing bait. The compost was discovered as a kind of side shoot, and it was great quality stuff !!

I made mine by drilling a hold either side of a plastic dustbin, and then making a wooden cradle to support it by these holes. You then half fill it with shredded newspaper, and and water liberally. Next add your worms, then daily put your veg leftovers etc, and rotate it in the cradle daily. Takes about 3 months to compost each load, just stop putting in the leftovers about a week before you want the compost. You also get LOTS of free bait!

Gave up in the end though. Too much hassle !!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:42 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by PeteY
I had one over here for a bit, but mine was homemade and created for cheap fishing bait. The compost was discovered as a kind of side shoot, and it was great quality stuff !!

I made mine by drilling a hold either side of a plastic dustbin, and then making a wooden cradle to support it by these holes. You then half fill it with shredded newspaper, and and water liberally. Next add your worms, then daily put your veg leftovers etc, and rotate it in the cradle daily. Takes about 3 months to compost each load, just stop putting in the leftovers about a week before you want the compost. You also get LOTS of free bait!

Gave up in the end though. Too much hassle !!
I used to find it a chore but the boys love to do it and get their hands in and if any get out of the bins which often happens they go around collecting them.
As for bait...oh yes i will have my own supply and i know that the Flatheads love them as I got a few on them, just look out for the spikes behind their heads..ouch.
Attached Thumbnails I am gonna eat worms!!!-ki_b6.jpg  
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:05 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

mmm Worms :scared:

I don't think I would use "made from 100% real worms" on the packaging if you were to make them into cakes

It might just put some people off

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:24 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by markeh
mmm Worms :scared:

I don't think I would use "made from 100% real worms" on the packaging if you were to make them into cakes

It might just put some people off

Bye
Markeh

Nobody loves them
Everybody hates them
I think I'll go and eat worms
Short fat juicy ones
Long thin slimy ones
See how the little ones Squirm
Bite their heads off
(sound effect loud suck) their middles out
Throw their skins away
Nobody knows how well I thrive
On works three times a day!!!!

This is a song my mum used to sing to me when i was a tot.......

love lisa
xxx

Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Boomerang
Nobody loves them
Everybody hates them
I think I'll go and eat worms
Short fat juicy ones
Long thin slimy ones
Bite their heads off
Throw their skins away

This is a song my mum used to sing to me when i was a tot.......

love lisa
xxx

I used to sing it too, but it went 'suck all the juice out' not middles out!

I hate worms in fact I would rather hold a snake or spider than a worm so I have no desire to breed them in my garden

:scared: :scared:
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:11 pm
Home in 2010.

[i]Short fat juicy ones
Long thin slimy ones
Bite their heads off
Throw their skins away
I agree even made me feel sick..:scared: E
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bardie Grubs are the way forward in Oz - traditional bush tucker. Apparently, very high in protein!

http://www.bushroots.com/Bushtails/m...ardie_grub.htm

My brother-in-law (who is a very rural Aussie) uses bardie grubs for fishing bait on the Murray river. He's always out digging for them, and swears they are the best bait!

But maybe you could start a colony in your garden ?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:18 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!