Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am finally doing it can you help me do it!

I am finally doing it can you help me do it!

Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default I am finally doing it can you help me do it!

After being here for over 5 years and having Ozzy passport I am shortly going to become fair dinkum and go camping in the great outdoors.

Problem is I cannot seem to find a great open spacious campsite in the Sunshine coast Hinterland or further hopefully, with a dam and toilets etc.

Can anyone recommend a good site that isn't EPA or Big 4?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am finally doing it can you help me do it!

Originally Posted by Carrianne
After being here for over 5 years and having Ozzy passport I am shortly going to become fair dinkum and go camping in the great outdoors.

Problem is I cannot seem to find a great open spacious campsite in the Sunshine coast Hinterland or further hopefully, with a dam and toilets etc.

Thanks in advance
Kenilworth - booromba creek I think its called. Has a creek, bush toilets and thats about it
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi thanks for that, I thought that that was only accessabile by 4wd which is fine for us but not our friends?

We have also seen lake Somerset holiday park and Borumba Deer Park anybody been to these?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for that, I thought that that was only accessabile by 4wd which is fine for us but not our friends?

We have also seen lake Somerset holiday park and Borumba Deer Park anybody been to these?
Borumba Deer Park and Borumba Dam are owned by the same people. I've been to Borumba Dam and had a walk around Borumba Deer Park (it's just down the road a bit from the other one).

You go straight through the little town of Imbil (where the Gympie rattler ends), past the pub, across the train tracks and continue down the road crossing 6 little bridges I think. At the end of the road is the Borumba Dam campgrounds and the dam itself (around the corner).

It is a open grassed area with tall tree's, toilet/hot shower block, firewood pile, little creek. Each campsite has it's own fire and big logs set out to sit around the fire. I think you could fit a group of six tents or so around each fire. Each site has a fair bit of ground around it so you are not on top of each other. As the smoke from each fire drifts across the campsite through the tall tree's it gives a real feel of camping. There is an entrance to a 4wd trail nearby for a bit of fun and boating on the dam. When I went last year it was run by a salt of earth couple who said there was no need to book as they always fit everyone in.

If you camp at Borumba Dam you get access to use the facilities of the Borumba Deer Park. This is about 3 bridges back up the road you came in on. It is a varied campsite with different levels separated by treed banks until you reach the decent creek at the bottom. It is a lot busier and noisier than the dam campsite but has a lot more going on for people with little kids up to early teens. There are disco nights, canoe hire, deer feeding, swings, swimming in the creek and lots of kids hanging out together.

Charlie Moreland campground is also highly recommended though I haven't been there yet. There is a lot of others around this area - Booloumba Creek (different to Borumba), Gheerulla, Jimna State Forest, Amamoor Creek, Imbil Campgrounds etc

Another option is Elanda Point at Lake Cootharaba: http://www.aroundoz.com/a_campsite_a...anda_point.htm

There are also campsites around the big inland lakes like Moogerah, Somerset and Wivenhoe.

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 13th 2009 at 10:05 am.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:02 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Esk is a good site (no need for 4X4)..basic but close to the village. There's also Neurum creek, Nambour Rainforest Holiday Village and mapleton all seem good to.

Enjoy

Ginny
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much x