Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I’ve been diddled.

I’ve been diddled.

Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:56 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I’ve been diddled.

When I applied for Australian Citizenship, I was told that one of the rights I would get would be to stand for public office. However it turns out that I can’t stand for Federal Parliament, as dual nationals are not allowed (unless they’ve made reasonable efforts to renounce their other nationalities). S44 of the Constitution prohibits any member from holding allegiance to a foreign power.

Do you think I can get a refund or a discount on the cost of my citizenship?

Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I’ve been diddled.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
When I applied for Australian Citizenship, I was told that one of the rights I would get would be to stand for public office. However it turns out that I can’t stand for Federal Parliament, as dual nationals are not allowed (unless they’ve made reasonable efforts to renounce their other nationalities). S44 of the Constitution prohibits any member from holding allegiance to a foreign power.

Oh, that's almost second rate citizenship there...

S
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Oh, that's almost second rate citizenship there...

S
It is. And I paid top dollar for it

I guess I won't be running for Federal Parliament.

You've got to wonder whether it's legal?

Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

It is. And I paid top dollar for it

I guess I won't be running for Federal Parliament.

You've got to wonder whether it's legal?

Did you think you were in with a good chance? Have any good policies up your sleeve?

Does this apply to state as well as Federal? I recall reading that the position of Governor General had to be filled by someone who was undeniably Australian.

S
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

G'day

Complain about it, talk to your MP about it, get elected and change the law - Oh you can't. bugger !
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Did you think you were in with a good chance? Have any good policies up your sleeve?

Does this apply to state as well as Federal? I recall reading that the position of Governor General had to be filled by someone who was undeniably Australian.

S
Tax cuts for all. Removal of speed limits. Tail winds for cyclists. Just a few to get started.

The state goverments have no restriction.

Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

Complain about it, talk to your MP about it, get elected and change the law - Oh you can't. bugger !
Bugger.

There's one possible alternative to changing the law. The actual Constitution of Australia is a legal document of the UK parliament. The UK is now subject to European law which disallows laws that discriminate on nationality. Therefore this section of the constitution has no legal basis.

Unfortunately the Australian High Court has a history of ignoring tricky legal postitions.

Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger.

There's one possible alternative to changing the law. The actual Constitution of Australia is a legal document of the UK parliament. The UK is now subject to European law which disallows laws that discriminate on nationality. Therefore this section of the constitution has no legal basis.

Unfortunately the Australian High Court has a history of ignoring tricky legal postitions.
Since the Australia Act 1986 - forget it.

The interpretation of section 44i of the Constitution dates from a 1992 High Court ruling. At some point there may be enough bipartisan interest to change the wording and replace it with a positive requirement that a candidate for public office should be an Australian citizen.

The Constitution predated the concept of Australian citizenship by just over 48 years.

The ruling does not apply to State parliaments or local councils. And incidentally, British citizenship can be renounced but then it might not be so easy to get it back later on (it's quite a serious step to take).
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:47 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

The interpretation of section 44i of the Constitution dates from a 1992 High Court ruling. At some point there may be enough bipartisan interest to change the wording and replace it with a positive requirement that a candidate for public office should be an Australian citizen.

The Constitution predated the concept of Australian citizenship by just over 48 years.

The ruling does not apply to State parliaments or local councils. And incidentally, British citizenship can be renounced but then it might not be so easy to get it back later on (it's quite a serious step to take).
if you speak with an accent other than Steve Erwin style, you have had it in australia you can't get on in any way....
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ

I've forgotten it already
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:58 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: I’ve been diddled.

Further to JAJ's response...

Bugger.

There's one possible alternative to changing the law. The actual Constitution of Australia is a legal document of the UK parliament.
No, it isn't.

I think you are confusing the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900 with the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Australia, which was created by the Australian people (via referendum) during the period 1898-1900.

While Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900 was originally a legal document of the UK Parliament, it is now a legal document of the Australian Parliament:

The original Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900 (UK), as signed into law by Queen Victoria, has been repatriated to Australia. The Australian Government requested it, and the British Government agreed to release it under the Australian Constitution (Public Record Copy) Act 1990 (UK).
Source.

By contrast, the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Australia was never a UK document, having been formulated and agreed upon by the Australian people themselves, without any reference to the UK. It is quoted within the text of the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900, but only for the sake of reference. It is not a product of the UK Parliament - which in any case, has no power or legal right over the Australian Constitution:

Even though the Constitution was originally given legal force by an Act of the United Kingdom parliament, as Australia is now an independent country, the United Kingdom parliament has no power to change the Constitution, and only the Australian people can amend it (by referendum).
Wikipedia.

The UK is now subject to European law which disallows laws that discriminate on nationality.
This has no relevance to Australia or her Constitution.

Therefore this section of the constitution has no legal basis.
Yes, it does. The EU has no power to rule on the Australian Constitution. The High and Federal Courts of Australia are the only institutions legally authorised to interpret our constitutional provisions. (See the Wikipedia. again).

FYI, S44(i) has been legally challenged and upheld by the High Court (see Sue v Hill, 1999).

Additionally:

On 30 October 2003, the Senate passed a motion moved by Australian Democrats Senator Andrew Bartlett, expressing the Senate’s view ‘that sections 44(i.) and 44(iv.) of the Constitution should be amended to remove the current prohibition on dual citizens and public sector employees being able to nominate for election to the Commonwealth Parliament’.
www.aph.gov.au

This bill was reviewed in 2005, and received bipartisan support. As far as I am aware, the recommended change has yet to be made.

FWIW, I believe that S44(i) should be removed. It is an obsolete rule, created at a time when Australian citizenship did not actually exist. While perfectly sensible and relevant for that period, it is now completely anachronistic and wholly unsuited to our modern, multicultural society.

PS. Interesting fact: the Queen herself is required to swear allegiance to the Parliament of the United Kingdom. She is not permitted any allegiance to a foreign power (such as Australia or Canada), regardless of their relationship to the UK. So it would seem that the British monarch is not permitted to hold dual citizenship either.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:04 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: I’ve been diddled.

Originally Posted by why
if you speak with an accent other than Steve Erwin style, you have had it in australia you can't get on in any way....
*yawn*

Catherine Helen Spence (Scottish), Victor Chang (Chinese), David Unaipon (Aboriginal), Fred Hollows (New Zealander), Caroline Chisholm (English), Michael Klim (Polish), Bryce Courtney (South African) and Kosta Tszyu (Russian) all prove you wrong.

Examples could be multiplied.

Take your pathetic xenophobia elsewhere; it's neither wanted nor appreciated.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:06 am
Account Closed

Thanks for all of that Vash but I was joking

Obviously if I wanted to become a Federal MP then giving up my UK citizenship would not be a impediment.

Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:09 am
Fighting my corner

Red face Re: I’ve been diddled.

Thanks for all of that Vash but I was joking

Obviously if I wanted to become a Federal MP then giving up my UK citizenship would not be a impediment.

A victim of my own pedantry... again!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
PS. Interesting fact: the Queen herself is required to swear allegiance to the Parliament of the United Kingdom.
That's not true. Members of Parliament swear allegiance to the Monarch, not the other way around. (but despite this, the Monarch is subject to Parliament, that was resolved a long time ago).

She is not permitted any allegiance to a foreign power (such as Australia or Canada), regardless of their relationship to the UK.
The Queen of Australia (or Canada) is constitutionally distinct from the Queen of the United Kingdom.

So it would seem that the British monarch is not permitted to hold dual citizenship either.
The Queen of the United Kingdom is not a British citizen. (as Monarch, She cannot be a citizen of Her own Kingdom). Other members of the Royal Family are British citizens.

And the same applies in Australia. The Queen of Australia cannot be an Australian citizen. However, the Migration Act 1958 does not apply to the Queen. This was researched by the Commonwealth Parliament in 1995:
http://www.aph.gov.au/Library/pubs/r...-96/96rn06.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.